Do we really need a spare?

craig333

Expedition Leader
I've ripped out the sidewall in the White Mtns. On the Dusy a member of our group ripped out a sidewall. Without a spare we'd have been sol.

JayOtheMountains

I carry a spare and a plug kit. I've used both. I've also loaned my spare when it was needed in my group. Last spring, 55 miles from pavement, a flat happened that plugs weren't going to fix. Glad I had my spare - full-sized.

The amount of redundancy you have or build in should be directly porportional to the location, terrain, and type of driving you do or plan to do. If I swing over the border to MX for a week or weekend and we're planning to dirt-tour I carry an extra tire too. For road trips in the US, the spare under the back may be enough. It's an it-depends answer.

Drive enough on way-out there roads and it's not if, but when. Literally. You may think that you're fine because you've gone for xx years without an issue. I did the same. When it happens you'll be glad to have a spare. I always carry a spare. On occasion, I also throw a spare tire on the rack just in case I need to swap tires.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I've ripped out the sidewall in the White Mtns. On the Dusy a member of our group ripped out a sidewall. Without a spare we'd have been sol.

Could always sew up the sidewall with some stainless safety wire and slip in a tube ( or try to plug/patch the sidewall )

DaveNay

Adventurer
Reminds me about how changing a tire never happens on the nice bluebird day at lunchtime. It's always in the middle of nowhere, dark, pouring rain, on the side of a dirt shoulder haha.
With a pickup full of "locals" slowly driving by and silently staring at you.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Some can do that successfully most can't including me and I'm pretty capable.

Never to late to learn.

A spare tire only fixes a single issue. What if the same stick that takes out the front tire takes out the rear tire too.
Having some other options will be good even if you are already carrying a spare tire...or two.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Someone has to mention the new 'GlueTread' option for emergency tire repair.

gluetread-tire-repair-external-patch-kit-gt-epk__29258.1611968311.jpg

This is on my list of things to test out for sure. Modern adhesives have come a long way....

jadmt

ignore button user
Never to late to learn.

A spare tire only fixes a single issue. What if the same stick that takes out the front tire takes out the rear tire too.
Having some other options will be good even if you are already carrying a spare tire...or two.
I am just saying over 50 years of driving I have never seen it successfully done. I have heard people talk about it but when it actually needs to be wired shut it is usually a fail. Most are not going to have much luck running a tube either as tubeless tires are most likely not going to get the bead to set with a tube and not sure all would be able to get the stem through. Best thing is just be lucky like I am... works great

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I am just saying over 50 years of driving I have never seen it successfully done. I have heard people talk about it but when it actually needs to be wired shut it is usually a fail. Most are not going to have much luck running a tube either as tubeless tires are most likely not going to get the bead to set with a tube and not sure all would be able to get the stem through. Best thing is just be lucky like I am... works great

Getting the stem through is pretty easy with the right tool. I use one of these. Works great for fishing a new stem in from the backside if you have beadlocks and tear off a stem too.

33W510_AS01.jpg

I got to have lots of practice back in the day. Had all 4 tires on my pickup slashed while in college. I had to do inside and outside sidewall patches (with reinforced tractor style patches) on all 4 tires to get back home. Good times. Surprisingly that worked pretty well on a 1" plus slice in each sidewall. It took some time, but it was cheaper than 4 new tires for a broke college kid, even 20 years ago.

Working on tires doesn't bother me I guess, I did my time as a 'Schuabby' back in the day.

I'd much rather develop and maintain a skillset that will fix mutiple tire issues rather than just hope and pray that a single spare tire is going to solve all my issues.
Having a good tire kit will fix many issues for you ( and others ) along the way while not taking up nearly as much space as a spare tire.....or a 2nd or 3rd or 5th spare tire.

billiebob

40 years, 4 flats, every one of them away from home. 1 on the highway, hit something under the snow.... 5 minutes later I was mobile. 1 on the Interstate during rush hour and a winter storm, pull into the median, change it, mobile in 5 minutes. 1 on a gravel road during bug season with the roof off... again 5 minutes and moving on.... 1 on a powerline trail, real remote, but again, 5 minutes and i was on my way... more cautious since I now had no spare....

I only carry a spare because I hate delays. I drive rather than fly for the same reason.

pith helmet

If I think about the few flats I have had vs the million miles I have carried a spare and not needed it, I choose spare every time.
The only time I had a flat on a very remote forest road I actually needed 2 spares and barely got by with a spare and a large can of fix a flat. Both tires had sidewall tears.

pith helmet

I put it in the least damaged tire and t was coming out of the hole. Barely got the rim off the ground. I had to drive about 10mph.
Sadly that was before we took pictures of everything.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
You just never know. 1997 K2500, 200k, mountain truck on a mountain road, never had a flat since new on this truck and had to put on the 25 year old new spare with 25 year old air in it....got me home.....Oh, and got a new allen wrench for the trouble.

AD77C9B7-C122-4F39-B34A-D145ADBF5D4B.jpeg1F1625C0-A165-4512-A589-4A2DC8B54740.jpeg5B2F47DD-5208-4CBA-AA9F-B3638AE3B9D5.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles