Do people use multiple shore power plugs?

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Instead of worrying about it why not go to an RV company and ask for the correct leads to suit the country you are in, Job Done.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I always thought Jolly ’ol England household normally has 230V singlephase ? What means try as one might using some hazardous dualplug contraption, 230V is all that you get. (Disregard 115V building sites..)
Btw,
Probably the worlds safest design of plugs & receptacles too !
It's funny I have always thought it was 240v but they claim its 230v but when you measure it it is always 240v,

The wall sockets have a lever that when the Earth pin goes In it then opens the Holes for the Live and the Neutral pins on the plug, plus you can change the fuses on the plug, which range from 1A, 3A, 5A, 7 or 8A, 10A and 13A

OllieChristopher

So how many amps at 208V can you get from such a contraption ?

It depends on how many amps the outlets are. Most standard household outlets are 15 - 30 amps. I always made mine out of minimum 12/3. To be totally safe then 10/3 is a better choice. The cord I described is very useful and served me well when I was in the temporary power industry in the 90's. We used them mostly for daisy chaining GFI boxes from small 25KW generators that were pulling light loads at construction sites.

In the spirit of Expedition Portal and its user base this cord is more useful for someone who has a rig that needs to be plugged into a 208 single phase source that may not be available.

Again the key is to make sure it's plugged into to separate circuits. And that is very simple to check. After plugging into the receptacles measure across the hots at the female end. If the voltage is 0 then it's on the same circuit. 240 or so then you are good to go.

jkam

nomadic man
My RV has 30 amp service. I have a plug that reduces the 30 amp plug to 15 amps.
I can plug into any standard plug with it. That allows me to use my AC when I am at a relatives house.
I can also use the fridge on electric without blowing the breaker. Try and use the microwave and it pops.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Academically speaking, AC voltage rating partly comes down to how you measure it. For AC power, there are different methods for rating the voltage of the sine wave: Peak-to-Peak, Root-Mean-Square, Average Voltage, etc.

Which gets used depends mostly on who you are talking to and what that person plans to do with the energy. An electrical engineer, who is likely to care about power, will probably use RMS voltage, as that more accurately captures the area under the curve. (This is the value most directly analogous to a DC voltage.)

Couple the different methods with the real-world variability of power delivery at a distance, and the number could be +/- 30% or more.

OllieChristopher

An electrical engineer, who is likely to care about power, will probably use RMS voltage, as that more accurately captures the area under the curve. (This is the value most directly analogous to a DC voltage.)

And if you really want to mess things up try using North American 60 HZ frequencies on delicate audio and video equipment. When I was in the generator industry we had to adjust our HZ on the generators to accommodate foreign performers equipment. It was a very difficult process to get it just right to avoid feedback and buzz.

billiebob

No,
Those ’splitter adaptors’ shown have no ’15 amp circuit’ to connect to.
Each of their 15/20 amp receptacles are directly connected to a 30 or 50 amp circuit that its plugged into.
It works but not very safe. Especially for people of low electrical understanding.
I disagree. Makes no difference how much power you connect to. Your unit should have a main breaker and sub circuit breakers protecting the truck and appliances. Which is exactly how homes work too.
On the other end, if the power supply is 15amp and you are drawing 30amps. That 15amp service supply breaker will give you a black out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles