Do it your self Fiberglass Extrusions by Total Composites

Alloy

If you box half of it, it will be about half the flex. But I don't think that will save you. HD trucks with open C frames flex a huge amount. Ram5500 Camperthing posted a video recently of a test on his truck, and he picked up one of the rear wheels ~2ft and the suspension barely moved. It was all frame twist. Reducing that to 1ft wouldn't be enough I think.

Newer domestic pickups up to 1 ton all have a fully boxed frame that is very stiff. For most on and off road running I think this is superior, although a flexible frame will keep all its wheels on the ground when crossed up and a stiff frame usually won't... you need a suspension that really articulates with a stiff frame.
Yeah it would be easier/lighter to start with square/rectangle/HSS than trying to fix channel. To run electrical plumbing I'll drill through both sides and weld sections of pipe in. The sections of pipe are either 1 wall thickness short (flush) or 1/2" long (protruding) so either way (flush or protruding) there is a good fillet weld on both sides.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Is the same pultrusion used for top/sides/ends?

Is there a reason to mitre (THE OVERLhANDER) vs curve (RAM5500CAMPERTHING) the front?
Our do it yourself FRP Extrusions are completely different than the ones we are sending out with our bigger camper kits. The new ones only allow for 50mm/2" panels. You only need one set of extrusions to assemble a box. Our bigger boxes need 2 different styles.
As for the radius/Vs miter joint: We have a standard combo as per Ram5500 and we also offer custom as per THE Overlander.
Cab over .png

mangchi

Are there easily sourced panels you can use with these extrusions?

Also, how do you mount heavy kitchen cabinets to these foam panels?.

One last question: what are people using for the bottom floor panels?

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Are there easily sourced panels you can use with these extrusions?

Also, how do you mount heavy kitchen cabinets to these foam panels?.

One last question: what are people using for the bottom floor panels?

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
in that case you may be better off buying a full kit from us. 😁

ripperj

Explorer
Is there info available on building out the interior on these composite panel builds?
I have the same question as above , I’m a skilled wood worker, but can’t visualize how to build the bathroom walls and hang cabinets
I have see some folks dado the walls into the panels and I assume you can glue a wood clear to hang things off?
Thx
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Build the furniture from lighter thinner sandwich panel and it will add to the structural integrity of the total structure. All of the "furniture" in this build is 19mm thick sandwich panel. It could be thinner. Mostly simply butt glued, sometimes using an aluminium angle for additional strength.
No timber.
The floor can also be sandwich panel, maybe with a heavier skin.
06 Seats & table.jpg

07 KitchenE.jpg
Completed in 2005 and still as good as new.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Last edited:

ITTOG

Build the furniture from lighter thinner sandwich panel and it will add to the structural integrity of the total structure. All of the "furniture" in this build is 19mm thick sandwich panel. It could be thinner. Mostly simply butt glued, sometimes using an aluminium angle for additional strength.
No timber.
The floor can also be sandwich panel, maybe with a heavier skin.
View attachment 629380

View attachment 629382
Completed in 2005 and still as good as new.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
The ant in the first pic (under the date stamp) looks giant.

john61ct

Adventurer
Seen builds that embed airline seat track, aka L-track in the ceiling / walls / floor

to give flexibility, everything is modular, and can be easily moved or removed for multiple purposes