Do it your self Fiberglass Extrusions by Total Composites

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We are super happy to announce the release of our brand new designed FRP extrusions to the Do It Yourself crowd.

Make your dream a reality. We developed FRP extrusions that will give you the opportunity to build a camper with panels you manufacture yourself or purchase from a reputable dealer.

Developed by Total Composites, the top supplier of Expedition Truck Bodies in North America. We now offer 50/50mm("'/2") extrusion for walls, floors and roof to make your own camper bodies. These extrusions are made out of pultruded fibreglass and Gel coat. They are UV stable and do not need to be finished (automotive finishing a possible option). The most important aspect is they allow for a thermal transfer free construction of your habitation box.
These extrusions are perfectly suited for construction of Ice fishing huts, Backyard sheds, Campers, Commercial truck bodies, Travel trailers, Cargo trailers.... you name it!

Weighs roughly 523gms per 30cm or 18oz per 12"/ft

Cost $11.20 per foot

Please contact us for Wholesale pricing is available.

Shipped in 8' lengths (minimum) from our warehouse in Victoria BC Canada. Longer lengths available upon request.

Samples are not available.

We will start shipping this product in November of 2020.

We recommend PU based adhesives like our Koemmerling 225 glue. https://www.expeditionupfitter.ca/c...roducts/koemmerling-korapop-225adhesive-white

Please contact us through our website for more info. https://www.expeditionupfitter.ca/c...er-hardware/products/frp-extrusions-50mm-50mm
description TC 50-50 FRP extrusion .jpegIMG-6699.jpg

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I presume that these are "pulltrusions" so the glass is longitudinally aligned?
Lots of strength across the glass and very little in the other direction?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

john61ct

Adventurer
"Living pod", move from truck to trailer to stationary location.

I bet would work well for "Foamie PMF" construction technique, encase the slabs separately in a thin cloth, assemble and glue in these channels,

then a final "wrap" of the whole with a tough mesh to reinforce overall structural integrity, final outer finish.

RIP Glidden Gripper

boogie944

After comparing quite a few methods I believe the body construction method FRP profiles with sandwich panels by far superior to any others in terms of strength and ease of assembly.

boogie944

I presume that these are "pulltrusions" so the glass is longitudinally aligned?
Lots of strength across the glass and very little in the other direction?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
Yes you are right. These are pulltrusions. I have some similar to above where manufacturer claiming 40% transverse strength vs longitudinal. Hard to check the exact numbers, but they seem very strong.

Main force on the profiles is in line with the profile, not transverse. In that direction the strength of the profile will be higher than the glue which is all you need.

boogie944

"Living pod", move from truck to trailer to stationary location.

I bet would work well for "Foamie PMF" construction technique, encase the slabs separately in a thin cloth, assemble and glue in these channels,

then a final "wrap" of the whole with a tough mesh to reinforce overall structural integrity, final outer finish.

RIP Glidden Gripper
Wrapping over the top really not requited unless for aesthetics. The whole point of these profiles is to make the build easy to assemble vs a lot of handy work and dimensional control required when wrapping by hand.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
In Oz, there is a sandwich panel manufacturer with a very large CNC router. http://vanglass.homestead.com/
Panels can be up to 3m wide and 11m long, from memory and various thicknesses, all laid up wet on wet.
The customer produces a simple 3D design of each piece of panel and the panel maker delivers the whole kit as a flat pack. It can then be simply glued together like a piece of IKEA furniture.
Panel joins are typically rebated. The only corner treatment required can be a simple angle.
P1010344.JPG
A friend built this one in rapid time. Very accurate, although it is not a huge amount of work to do the rebating yourself if this service was not available.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Last edited:

Victorian

In Oz, there is a sandwich panel manufacturer with a very large CNC router. http://vanglass.homestead.com/
Panels can be up to 3m wide and 11m long, from memory and various thicknesses, all laid up wet on wet.
The customer produces a simple 3D design of each piece of panel and the panel maker delivers the whole kit as a flat pack. It can then be simply glued together like a piece of IKEA furniture.
Panel joins are typically rebated. The only corner treatment required can be a simple angle.
View attachment 616123
A friend built this one in rapid time. Very accurate, although it is not a huge amount of work to do the rebating yourself if this service was not available.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
when you look close, you see that the biggest glue surface is the foam core. This is certainly not strong enough to be structurally sound. The angle, as you mentioned, is certainly needed on the in and outside of the enclosure. I have done this many times at my time at unicat. It is a very time intense procedure that also requires a lot more tools/ jigs/ clamps to complete. In any case, I appreciate everyone’s input and suggestions. At the same time, I kindly ask you not to post “ other solutions” “ brands” in this thread. We are a vendor and pay good money to have the opportunity to promote our products and solutions.
thank you. ,

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
when you look close, you see that the biggest glue surface is the foam core. This is certainly not strong enough to be structurally sound.
That would depend entirely on the structural requirements of the particular application, surely?
These overhead cupboards are were simply butt glued to the walls and ceiling 15 years and 250,000km earlier. No rebates, no angle reinforcement, nothing.
When additional strength is required, adding an angle (or two) is a very simple matter, (from my experience).
Slide23c.jpg
I kindly ask you not to post “ other solutions” “ brands” in this thread. We are a vendor and pay good money to have the opportunity to promote our products and solutions.
And censorship rights too?
I thought (obviously in error) that you might be appreciative of an idea that you could potentially take advantage of in the future?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Victorian

That would depend entirely on the structural requirements of the particular application, surely?
These overhead cupboards are were simply butt glued to the walls and ceiling 15 years and 250,000km earlier. No rebates, no angle reinforcement, nothing.
When additional strength is required, adding an angle (or two) is a very simple matter, (from my experience).
View attachment 616202
And censorship rights too?
I thought (obviously in error) that you might be appreciative of an idea that you could potentially take advantage of in the future?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Im not a moderator or owner of this forum. Therefore I can not and will not censor anything. All I did was kindly ask. This exact problem came up many times in the past with other vendors. There is us ( the companies that pay our dues to post here) and then there other others that use our posts to promote ( intentionally or not) other products. This makes us sponsors sometimes rethink the expenditure.

in any case, back to the topic 😊

your cabinet install is exactly what we recommend also. With the right adhesive, you are getting an incredible strong Bond. By installing cabinets and walls you also increase the overall structural stiffness of your composite body.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
This is an amazing resource, Victorian. I'm blown away how you guys have basically forged the way for the entire composite market in North America. And brought modern build standards to RVs over here, which (let's be honest) have just plain sucked for decades. And to cater to us plebes who can't afford a 400k wheeled yacht condo? Many applause. I hope to use this resource. Although I will be buying from a builder for my first "real" camper so I can, you know, CAMP while I build my four year disaster-piece hard side pop up. Cheers to you. Again.