Do I really NEED a 7.3L E350?

05LR3AZ

Adventurer
Have you considered the 5.4 v8? Those have been super reliable and there are examples of built models (4x4) throughout the forum. If you aren't towing that's an even better reason. I wanted a 7.3 for towing, fuel economy and yes coolness. It's loud for sure. It's been a great vehicle though but I had my heart set on it from the start of my search.

Toolman

Explorer
When you say "stealth camper" I think of lights out and quiet as can be... we are STEALTH we are QUIET

I can hear the school bus coming from a 1/4 mile away, sure it's sound, but It sounds like noise to me.

dcguillory

Adventurer
I have 375,000 miles on my 7.3. Extremely low maintenance. (Beautifully)Loud inside while on the road even with full quiet ride install. Just got my third transmission.

The power is out of this world with a DPTuner and you get great fuel economy.
Have someone build you a bullet proof tranny the first time it needs replaced and you should be good for 500k
I will never sell it.
Even my wife says we will keep it till we die

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Yes, 7.3's are hard to find in good condition, why we're doing more and more extensive work to them, mini restorations. But, is a gas ok? Absolutely. You know we never have to work on?

5.4's and V10's.

From a 4x4 conversion standpoint there are a few things that can make a difference. All of the gas vans need exhaust mods, no big deal. The 5.4 can be found with 2 different transmissions, the 4R70/4R75 and the 4R100. The 4R100 is better and easier/cheaper to convert to 4wd but they both have to come out for a tailshaft/housing swap. The V10 either has the 4R100 or 5R110 (starting in 05) which I feel is the best combo for a gasser. We can convert (or send the parts) to convert that 5R110 to 4wd while its in the van. Saves a lot of time and $$. Love my V10/5R110 van, we're about to convert it to 4wd.

I still love my 7.3 though and if you do the math the gas is always cheaper to own/operate in the long run unless you constantly tow or drive a LOT.

Wow! Thanks for all of the responses!

From all of the above I have decided to keep looking for a 7.3 but if I don't find one that I like be happy to go with one of the gas powered ones.

I see you are in North Georgia. There is never a shortage of vans for sale on the Atlanta Craigslist.

I must have picked the wrong time to start looking. Only found one 7.3 and a couple of gas vans. All seemed to be in pretty rough shape.

I will keep looking then.

It does amaze me how many ford econoline vans I notice on the road now that I am looking. Even found out one of our old ambulances that we consider a hot rod has the 7.3 in it. Kinda cool. I have been a Toyota guy my whole life so this is a whole new deal for me.

JCTex

Observer
RTF,

On the possibility you missed my post, I have a 7.3 that's just going up for sale. Based on what you said you wanted, I think this one would work very well PM me or call the phonetic number I included. I'm not a dealer or a crazy. I'm actually you about a year ago.

Jerry

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
if you're not absolutely stuck on a "van", I posted a link in the vans for sale, a F350 4x4 Ambulance, 7.3, new tires, 31k miles, $16k obo... another expo member is selling it, and the Trucks are easier to work on.

I'll be honest, 7.3s in a Van are hard to work on because reaching the top of the motor is difficult due to the dash, cowl, fenders, etc... being able to open the hoods make the truck bodied 7.3s easier to work on. That said, I enjoy the E350 Ambo far more than any truck I've driven... it's maneuverable, handles well, beats most cars across the intersection.

RTF,

On the possibility you missed my post, I have a 7.3 that's just going up for sale. Based on what you said you wanted, I think this one would work very well PM me or call the phonetic number I included. I'm not a dealer or a crazy. I'm actually you about a year ago.

Jerry

I pm'ed you yesterday morning! I keep checking my inbox for a reply! Lol

Guess it didn't go thru....

if you're not absolutely stuck on a "van", I posted a link in the vans for sale, a F350 4x4 Ambulance, 7.3, new tires, 31k miles, $16k obo... another expo member is selling it, and the Trucks are easier to work on.

I'll be honest, 7.3s in a Van are hard to work on because reaching the top of the motor is difficult due to the dash, cowl, fenders, etc... being able to open the hoods make the truck bodied 7.3s easier to work on. That said, I enjoy the E350 Ambo far more than any truck I've driven... it's maneuverable, handles well, beats most cars across the intersection.

I seriously looked at the ambulance builds and liked a lot they had to offer as far as cabinets and seats right off the bat but..... I spend every third day of my life quite unhappy in an ambulance and I think an ambulance will always remind me of that. Also my wife says NO on any vehicle someone has died in!

The coroner's van at work was replaced recently and thought briefly about trying to get it for cheap. It was an early 2000 cargo van with the 5.4 but even I couldn't deal with the thoughts of all of the dead bodies that had been in there.

Last edited:

Pangle

Wanderer
I have a 2001 7.3 E350 Ambo 4x4 conversion with 124k for sale in the "For Sale section" Shoot me a message if your interested.

jjohnny350

Adventurer
I think it has been covered pretty well but heres my thoughts on it. I have a 99 e350 5.4 with ujor 4x4. If youll never tow or take a full load of people I think a gas will be fine. I have had mine for 10 years and does most stuff I need really well. Reliable, enough get-up and go if not loaded down or towing. If towing or loaded down its not great, bad mpg and gutless. When I get my next one it will be a 7.3, I dont tow a lot but the times I have it hasnt done great. Took a trip with the van loaded down with 7 people, 7 bikes, and a bunch of gear and I dont think I got better than 11 mpg. If im going to get that bad might as well have some power. A tune might wake it up a little as well. Anyway good luck, you'll love having the room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles