do i need sway bars?

fog cutter

Adventurer
two part question:

2015 GMC Savana 2500 series V-8

tends to "porpoise" but factory tires and no load probably contribute to this.

Q: would Hellwig (or other brand) sway bars improve handling?

and anyone know of a reputable installer in the Connecticut/ Massachusetts/ Rhode Island area?

thanks

rockbender

Adventurer
Check your tires first - make sure they are properly inflated. If it was me, I would replace them with a load range E/10 ply tire if they are anything less than that.

Hopefully I'll have some feedback on the swaybar shortly. I just installed a Hellwig on our 1500 Express but have only driven it about 0.5 miles since. I felt a noticeable improvement in handling even in that short period. I still have to beef up my springs or add a helper set to get things tuned in appropriately also - I'm loaded down to right under GVWR.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Sway bars/anti-rollbars will improve the body roll and side to side movement, won't do much for front to back porpoise. Helwig style sway bars are not difficult to install, usually just drill a few holes and a few bolts.

What you describe sounds like you some pretty soft OEM shocks, might want to try some different shock absorbers with better valving.

fog cutter

Adventurer
i'd be willing to do the shocks, too. i didn't expect too much from the factory equipment and gmc didn't let me down in that regard!

fog cutter

Adventurer
after digging around, Bilstein apparently doesn't offer a shock for the Savana. there is a 4600 series for unlifted trucks but not mine.

any opinion on Monroe ? they make a few but i don't know if they're anything better than OEM.

thanks

verdesardog

Explorer
I'm a dissenter here, I've have bilstiens on my CTD and it just floats! I put Rancho RS 9000xl's on the back and have front ones but have not put them on yet. I run them at max dampening on the road and least off road. Night and day difference from the bilstiens!

TrainingWheelz

Yes, you do. It's ridiculous to run a tall van on the highway without anti-roll bars. One quick evasive maneuver and you're on the side or roof. Tires, shocks, etc are all important and will help handling, but are not a stand alone solution. "Porposing" may not be completely fixed by this, but regardless, anti-away bars are a no-brainer.
I added a Hellwig rear anti-sway bar to my hi-top Astro and it made a huge difference. Less than 2 hour install, completely bolt-on, no new holes. Also did new front bar bushings and HD links. Those with HD leaf springs, LT tires, and good shocks provide a surprisingly well handling vehicle.

350outrage

Adventurer
I had and needed the big Hellwig rear bar before my 4wd conversion. . .stock handling was downright dangerous! New frt end and the 4 Bilstein 5100's that came with my conversion cured it though, so I haven't re-installed it. Install is pretty simple on these, and they really do help cure wallowing, and cornering issues. For porpoising though, I tend to agree with "take 4 Bilsteins and call us in the morning" ;-D

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
after digging around, Bilstein apparently doesn't offer a shock for the Savana. there is a 4600 series for unlifted trucks but not mine.

any opinion on Monroe ? they make a few but i don't know if they're anything better than OEM.

thanks

Measure the extended and collapsed length of your shocks. I bet you can find a part number by length. Most all shock MFG have the charts available. Also you may be able order some different valving, too.

For example Bilstein 5100 series shock here by length: They have the both common eyelet and the stem styles
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/bilstein_5125.cfm

shock1.jpg

shock2.jpg

Last edited:

fog cutter

Adventurer
thank you for those charts - you've given me hope!

and others for the sway bars vote - i think the tires/ bars/ shocks will make a vast improvement to the van's handling.

thanks again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles