Do I Feel Lucky? The "Ooh, That Could Have Been Nasty" Thread

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Harry Callahan: I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

I'll start:

DSC_4527.jpg

15/25 sprockets! :Wow1:

I inspected the sprockets and adjusted the chain and everything was normal before riding 400 miles to NYC and back. The only thing I can think of is I didn't put the rear wheel on straight. Any better ideas?

The message: Look after your teeth!

BillTex

Adventurer
Yikes...clearly you were a few miles away from shearing off the rest of the teeth...not much left there Dude...

cwsqbm

Explorer
My "luck was with me" story centered around a flat tire. I got a finger-sized hole in the center of the rear tire, while going around a gentle bend on the freeway at 80mph. The tire went flat in seconds as the steering got heavier and heavier and eventually took me onto the left shoulder just as the road straightened out. As the bike came to a stop and I put my feet down, the seat was definitely lower than normal. There are so many ways it could have been a fatal accident instead of just an inconvenience.

Luck was again with me, as it happened right next to an exit, so I walked the bike up the ramp to a store parking lot. I called the motorcycle shop that just happened to be a mile away (pre-cellphone days, so I was lucky to know about that shop), and the owner (that just happened to be there since it was after hours) came and got me.

Aquafbody

Adventurer
My favorite near miss is when I was on my nobby tires and CDOT tore up a 6 mile stretch of I-70 in the middle of the night with no exits. They made it a lovely corrugated and loose surface and decided it was better not to put up signs to warn of the impending danger. :luxhello:

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Here's one.
Home after a solo 500 mile ride that included some off pavement riding and camping.

My tire was toast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles