DMSKI's 2006 Xterra

paulforeman

Nice looking drawers. I've always though that storage would be at a premium in the back of the Xterra but it seems like you're making it work really well. (y)

Dmski

Adventurer
Nice looking drawers. I've always though that storage would be at a premium in the back of the Xterra but it seems like you're making it work really well. (y)
Thanks! I've never felt like the xterra has been tight on space per se (although i don't have children yet either). I find that now I'm trying to get more headroom back for sleep inside, I need to get more creative around how i store my recovery gear and spare parts. I do miss the idea of a full open back of a truck for storing mountain bikes and such, but the Xterra does pretty well for now.

Dmski

Adventurer
How the Molle Panel looks. I think it's helped with my storage issues, and trail tested after my last weekends trip:
LyjISac.png

Dmski

Adventurer
The molle panels worked out well. Trail tested. I need to figure out where to put a select few recovery gear items, as it turns out I needed a strap in a bit of a pinch up to hawkins mountain and mine was buried in the back (classic). Have yet to get the non cell phone photos off mine and a friends camera so I'll try to get those sick shots of AlbatrossCafe flexin and making easy work of the trail uploaded soon.

aL0gRsT.jpg

AMoN5HJ.jpg

KcLdRCK.jpg

zqEXXgZ.jpg

Dmski

Adventurer
Cross posted from TNX:
I have been dealing with a vibration and worn leaf spring bushings on my OME HD leaf packs. I may need to write a separate how to post for this because I was truly shocked at what a difference these upgrades made. Got the idea from a few members on here but Glamisdude was the original person that mentioned these. Basically tore it all down, added in the home depot thin metal pieces to reduce metal on metal contact, new leaf spring pad bushings, new paint and grease. Holy smokes! DO THESE MODS NOW IF YOU HAVE OME LEAF SPRINGS!

Essentially free mods, and i'm so impressed with how it rides now. I'm convinced that all springs were just metal on metal and simply not allowing any spring compliance and rode very harsh. Now, it actually soaks up bumps and rides normal. Most of the noise and creaking is gone, although it's still there (just due to how OME is designed and still having the top three springs running metal on metal). Also removing my pinion shim has my pinion angle within 2 degrees of the drive shaft. I only have a vibration at 30mph so I'm going to decide if getting a 1-2 degree shim is worth the trouble, play with the shackle height to get it down a tad or just live with it.

oOcRjZl.jpg

Removing them
rSCdLya.jpg

New pads vs old pads, old yellow OME were paper thin and useless:
r4IieZ3.jpg

Home depot specials. Drill out the hole to fit your center pins:
Tb0bUWq.jpg

Leaves apart:
rtb8I8P.jpg

Rubber bushings out back, much improved NVH:
J9rLJvf.jpg

Painted and put back together:
BpF6sGc.jpg

Dmski

Adventurer
It has been a busy year and I’ve welcomed an new member into our family! While off-roading has been a little light this year I’ve been preoccupied with more ADV rides when I can get a chance. Proof I’m still playing in the dirt ;)

IrQYiZh.jpg

bYurFVU.jpg

ctbSS28.jpg

Obligitory stuck photo. Not fun riding in snow I've decided...
Ercg9hx.jpg

And later in the season up near Spada Lake:
z3GmSQ4.jpg

rOrKPCF.jpg

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Ha, I like your method of quieting the leafs down a bit better than my zip-tie fix. It worked, but it was a little unsophisticated. Truck is looking good still, and glad you have the bike to keep getting in trouble with. :LOL:

My buddy and my brother-in-law keep working on getting me to buy a bike. I want to, but I'm restoring my Land Cruiser and trying to buy a house, so it's got to wait. I'm also pretty convinced I want a Royal Enfield Himalayan, but they're working on a new model with a 650 instead of the 411, which like doubles the HP. Should be a cool toy to go on trips with and blast around in the dirt.

I've got to work on getting back out to Washington some time. Need to meet up with you and @jhberria with the new hooptie.

Dmski

Adventurer
Ha, I like your method of quieting the leafs down a bit better than my zip-tie fix. It worked, but it was a little unsophisticated. Truck is looking good still, and glad you have the bike to keep getting in trouble with. :LOL:

My buddy and my brother-in-law keep working on getting me to buy a bike. I want to, but I'm restoring my Land Cruiser and trying to buy a house, so it's got to wait. I'm also pretty convinced I want a Royal Enfield Himalayan, but they're working on a new model with a 650 instead of the 411, which like doubles the HP. Should be a cool toy to go on trips with and blast around in the dirt.

I've got to work on getting back out to Washington some time. Need to meet up with you and @jhberria with the new hooptie.

Thanks for the comment! I'm in favor of anyone getting a moto, they are too much fun. When/if you get into one I'd say try and incorporate a hitch carrier setup on the LC so you can take it camping with you. Might mean a smaller/lighter bike like a WR250/XR250 to wrestle it up on the hitch carrier, but I've always like the Himalayan styling, and they are simple and reliable from what I've heard. I'd wait for the 650 though, they are a bit anemic when it comes to power as is, and I hope they don't add any additional unnecessary weight with the new 650. I've seen some really great Himalayan builds and a few flat tracker styles that have me drooling. But probably house and LC makes the most sense.

If you're back in WA feel free to hit me up. I'm also trying to get out east as a few friends live in Kalispell that my wife and I would like to go see at some point so if I'm ever that way I'll pick your brain on good camping spots.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Thanks for the comment! I'm in favor of anyone getting a moto, they are too much fun. When/if you get into one I'd say try and incorporate a hitch carrier setup on the LC so you can take it camping with you. Might mean a smaller/lighter bike like a WR250/XR250 to wrestle it up on the hitch carrier, but I've always like the Himalayan styling, and they are simple and reliable from what I've heard. I'd wait for the 650 though, they are a bit anemic when it comes to power as is, and I hope they don't add any additional unnecessary weight with the new 650. I've seen some really great Himalayan builds and a few flat tracker styles that have me drooling. But probably house and LC makes the most sense.

If you're back in WA feel free to hit me up. I'm also trying to get out east as a few friends live in Kalispell that my wife and I would like to go see at some point so if I'm ever that way I'll pick your brain on good camping spots.

My brother-in-law has the KTM 790, and my buddy is looking to get into a more adventure bike, so we'll see what happens. I need to get my endorsement, then there's a place only 45 minutes from my house that rents Himalayans, so I can try it out and see how I feel about it. I'm fairly convinced to wait for the 650, but the entry point on the 411 is SOOOOO cheap that it's tough to say no to.

I doubt I'd do that with the hitch carrier. It could be a good time, but that's a bunch of extra weight to haul around, and I've already got kids and the like. More fun time with them rather than ripping around in the dirt. But I can see the argument either way.

Sounds great, let me know if you're headed out this direction. My parents live about 90 minutes from Kalispell, so I am familiar with the area and might even run up there. Love that part of the state.

Dmski

Adventurer
I’ve been running my truck with a bypassed transmission cooler out of fear of the dreaded SMOD since day one with an extra B&M cooler, aux fan and temp gauge. This setup has worked well but with the truck aging and me not wanting to worry about family and friends driving the truck and forgetting to switch the fan on or monitor temps (they shouldn’t really) I decided to swap out the old calsonic radiator with a new Koyo A2807. While I was in there I replaced many vacuum and coolant lines for peace of mind and put the transmission cooler lines back into the radiator but opted to keep the extra cooler and aux fan in case of off-roading and towing situations that warranted it. I wanted to report though that my calsonic radiator was actually in great shape and did not have any contamination to the trans cooler portion. So while this is something people should be aware of, I think there are some out there that can get lucky and not have the issue.

Temp information below:
Bypassed trans temps: 140-160 operating with ambient temps 60-80, pulling hills and towing I would see 170-180 and never saw more than 190 but always turned the fan on and eased up at 170.
Trans temps in stock configuration with extra aux cooler: 140-150, have yet to see higher than 150.
The moral of this story is that if you bypass I think it is required to run with at least an aux cooler and temp gauge. But you should consider a fan and a larger cooler or just save your money on extra coolers and buy a new updated radiator.

Last edited:

llamalander

Good news about your mods--that got me thinking.
I don't have a temp gauge for my transmission, but my truck came stock with the extra towing package radiator.
The only problem I've had with it was the bypass hose burst in my driveway one night, luckily, there was plenty of hose to bypass the bypass... not bad for 12+ years.
Looking at your data, I have to wonder if the coolant is running at such low temps as the transmission... 140º seems really low for a radiator!
I have heard it suggested that running the trans fluid through the radiator was more to pre-heat it than to cool, looking forward to your new data.
BTW, what temp gauge are you using? Was it a fairly simple install?

Dmski

Adventurer
Good news about your mods--that got me thinking.
I don't have a temp gauge for my transmission, but my truck came stock with the extra towing package radiator.
The only problem I've had with it was the bypass hose burst in my driveway one night, luckily, there was plenty of hose to bypass the bypass... not bad for 12+ years.
Looking at your data, I have to wonder if the coolant is running at such low temps as the transmission... 140º seems really low for a radiator!
I have heard it suggested that running the trans fluid through the radiator was more to pre-heat it than to cool, looking forward to your new data.
BTW, what temp gauge are you using? Was it a fairly simple install?
Thanks for the comment. The extra cooler will help but if you are bypassed I’d still recommend a temp gauge, either analog or OBD. I’m using a Bully Dog Tuner to monitor trans and coolant temps. Dead easy to install. Also I should have clarified, these are transmission temperatures. Coolant is typically 180-200. I’m still checking to make sure I don’t have any air in the cooling system but with the lines to the transmission reconnected I’d almost say coolant temps now sit slightly higher likely due to more heat needing to be dissipated from the transmission but time will tell.

llamalander

... I think I follow, but if the trans temp is lower than the radiator, wouldn't you be using the transmission to cool the antifreeze?
The towing package radiator is exclusively for the transmission, but it sits in front of the stock radiator and has no fan of its own.
I'm looking for a good gauge now, but maybe something less expensive than a tuner-

Dmski

Adventurer
... I think I follow, but if the trans temp is lower than the radiator, wouldn't you be using the transmission to cool the antifreeze?
The towing package radiator is exclusively for the transmission, but it sits in front of the stock radiator and has no fan of its own.
I'm looking for a good gauge now, but maybe something less expensive than a tuner-
I agree, I think I haven't driven far enough to get this transmission up to temperature and haven't pulled any major hills yet. I think transmission fluid is supposed to be at optimal temps around 175 so I'm going to try and go for a longer drive soon enough to get a better idea of what temp this thing gets to. I can't imagine the temperature delta across the radiator being more than 20-30 degrees and I'm assuming that the bully dog is pulling the temps from the the hot side since that is worst case. However I probably need to verify this. I'm running roughly 190 coolant temps on the gauge then the cold side would be probably 160-180 which is where the transmission cooler lines would be so that's what I'm guestimating my new temps to be, and consistently hold in that temperature range as well which is something I'm after. I need a better way to data log all of this is really what I've decided.

bob280zx

Observer
I have been dealing with a vibration and worn leaf spring bushings on my OME HD leaf packs. I may need to write a separate how to post for this because I was truly shocked at what a difference these upgrades made. Got the idea from a few members on here but Glamisdude was the original person that mentioned these. Basically tore it all down, added in the home depot thin metal pieces to reduce metal on metal contact, new leaf spring pad bushings, new paint and grease. Holy smokes! DO THESE MODS NOW IF YOU HAVE OME LEAF SPRINGS!

Great post - very informative.
I'm about to go though the same process. The racket is wearing on my nerves. I put the OME HD leaf packs on my Frontier a couple years ago using the OME poly bushings and greasable shackles. That may have been a bit of an overkill. I notice you have the stock rubber bushings. I think I'm going back to those as well. and maybe even stock shackles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles