DMOS Elite Shovel Review

PredatOBR

Hello, I don’t post very often or do reviews. I have benefitted from people that do reviews as I generally research everything I buy. So for those that take the time to review stuff - thank you.

I was excited to receive the DMOS Elite shovel today and was really shocked by what I found. I will acknowledge up front that yes, it is a $200 or $300 shovel (depending on model) when you can get a shovel much cheaper. I appreciate though, innovative and really high quality / craftsmanship stuff. So I decided to purchase the Elite which is $300.

My initial impression when just taking the handle out of the box was how completely out of whack the tolerances where on the model I received. I was shocked as it appeared as though the holes drilled in the aluminum were done by hand. The handle was wobbly (for lack of a better description) and quite frankly the whole shovel was wobbly. One of the holes in the aluminum was oblong and not a circle. I requested a return label within about 30 min of unboxing which DMOS kindly provided.

My intent is not to bash the product but it is marketed as a very high quality tool and I really struggle with what I received. If it was produced better and did not feel so flimsy, I would have kept it. Just wanted just share my experience so people are not as surprised as I was upon receiving it.

I took some videos but they are all too large to post Even after I cut them down to a few seconds each. Anyone have some tips on posting video?

***** Edited to add videos below *****

Perhaps some of the tolerences might left loose on purpose in order to facilitate getting the pin through with dirt on the shovel. However, even if done on purpose, it just makes the entire feel extremely flimsy. So be advised so you are prepared to be okay with this while using the tool.

Also, before anyone asks... I did share my concerns with DMOS Collective. They told me they would share my feedback with their team. They did not tell me that what I experienced was an abnormality or unusual so I proceeded with the return.

I personally am going a different route now. I found and purchased another shovel that is fixed and I will update this post with my impressions on that shovel once I receive it.

Regards,

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
Please... if you (or anyone out there) are ever going to review a product, at least provide a link and/or picture to said product so everyone else will know what you are talking about. You know... so we can get a visual.

And I don't think posting a picture-or-two of the shovel and these defects you mentioned would have been too great of an issue. Videos yes; pictures should not be a problem.

Here's the DMOS link I googled: https://dmoscollective.com/collections/shovels (I'm not seeing the Elite on here)

And here's one for the DMOS Elite (I googled it since I didn't see it on the DMOS page): https://offroadpowerproducts.com/dmos-elite-delta-shovel-aluminum-anodized-black.html?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=SL - Shop - Catch-All&msclkid=d9256186efe31e7b696e3f7393a6ed29

If this is the one you're talking about, let us know.

Looks cool, but I'd never spend $300 for a shovel.

Last edited:
if it was $39.99 and had some cosmetic blemishes there would probably have no issue with its functionality.

but when a company touts a $200 - 300 tool, it really should be a precision instrument. especially when there are only one or two moving parts.

PredatOBR

Please... if you (or anyone out there) are ever going to review a product, at least provide a link and/or picture to said product so everyone else will know what you are talking about. You know... so we can get a visual.

And I don't think posting a picture-or-two of the shovel and these defects you mentioned would have been too great of an issue. Videos yes; pictures should not be a problem.

Here's the DMOS link I googled: https://dmoscollective.com/collections/shovels (I'm not seeing the Elite on here)

And here's one for the DMOS Elite (I googled it since I didn't see it on the DMOS page): https://offroadpowerproducts.com/dmos-elite-delta-shovel-aluminum-anodized-black.html?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=SL - Shop - Catch-All&msclkid=d9256186efe31e7b696e3f7393a6ed29

If this is the one you're talking about, let us know.

Looks cool, but I'd never spend $300 for a shovel.

Thank you for your input. The title and body of the post contains the product name. A simple google search will bring it up. My post is not intended for people that don’t know about this product. My post is aimed at people that know already about this product and are considering buying it as I did not find too many reviews out there.

Pictures did not show what I personally found to be an issue for me. I intended to post video and I requested some pointers on how to do so.

I figured out how to upload and have edited my original post. Some people make be okay with how “flimsy” the entire shovel felt. For a $300 Shovel, this was an issue for me and I returned it. I suspect some of the pin tolerences are oversized on purpose due to dirt and ease of getting pins through. However, it makes the entire Shovel feel flimsy as each connection point is loose and the T-handle itself was way outta whack...

rnArmy

Adventurer
Thank-you. I appreciated your review of the product. And I saw you added some visuals. I've seen them advertised, and since I had to do "A simple google search" to find out exactly what you were talking about (which I posted links to), now the ads keep popping up on my computer.

Your intent may have been to review the item for folks "in the know", but a lot of folks log-in to this forum to learn about new stuff, and discover things they didn't know existed. Or they may have heard about the item, but know nothing about it - and when they see a thread titled "DMOS Elite Shovel Review', they may very well be thinking "I've heard this term; let me find out what they're talking about". I do that a lot.

There are a lot of terminology and slang used in the Overlanding world that not everyone can get an actual visual of (especially those new to the sport). Yeti 400? MaxTrax vs. X-Bulls? More Power Puller? Sparrow RTT? Murder Spork Shovel? Tembo-Tusk? You get the idea.

Readers should not have to do "A simple google search" to figure out exactly what you're talking about. You as the OP should provide that information. If you are going to review an item or talk about a specific item, or ask about a specific item, take the time to provide a picture or a link (easy to copy and paste a link) so folks can know what is being discussed or reviewed. Cast a wider net.

Since I mentioned it: "Murder Spork Shovel": https://krazybeavertools.com/collections/frontpage/murder-spork (I just like the nickname of it).

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
I love Google. I google all sorts of stuff - overlanding stuff, Jeep stuff, gun stuff, weird stuff that catches my interest or I'm curious about. I learned all about my new chainsaw (before and after I bought it) by googling for information (that and U-tube videos). However....

Friends don't make friends google stuff so they know what is being talked about on a forum post.

MiamiC70

Friends don’t friends make decisions based on random reviews on online forums no matter who posts them with or with out pictures and video. So again Google is your best friend.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Then why are you even bothering to do a review when "Friends don’t [let] friends make decisions based on random reviews on online forums..."

Let me try a different approach since the light touch isn't working here:

(IMO) It is rude and inconsiderate to readers on this forum start a thread talking about a product, and expect those who may not know what you are talking about to have to do "A simple google search" to know exactly what you are talking about. Are you too lazy to provide a link? Are you so stuck on yourself that in your mind, it is their (readers) fault they don't know what you're talking about, and that as punishment for their lack of knowledge they should have to do "A simple google search" themselves?

I'm really not getting your stubbornness and refusal on the concept of simply posting a link (or picture) up-front to a product you're wanting to review or discuss.

Yes; Google is your friend. Be a friend to those reading your posts. Google a link, and post it (or a picture) with your first post on a product or item.

How about the OP of any thread themselves do "A simple google search" first, and post a link (or picture) as a courtesy to the readers of this forum when talking about a specific product or item (especially when asking a question about said product, or doing a review) so they know up-front what is being discussed? Is that so difficult?

I think I've beat this subject to death. Either you get it, or you don't. Try being courteous to the readers of this forum when you start a thread.

Have a happy 4th.

MiamiC70

Bruh, I’m not even the original poster. You must be fun at parties And appear to have serious issues even Google can’t help with. No wonder you are “lost” can’t even follow the thread.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I'm following the thread just fine. I've had too many times I've had to Google something to find out what folks were originally posting about, and I've thought "I shouldn't be having to do this". Flippantly saying "Google is your friend" is missing the point. Have you been following this thread? Are you understanding the point I've been trying to make?

I do appologize for hijacking this thread. I just wish when folks would start a thread about a specific item not everyone might be familiar with, they would provide a picture or link so readers would know what is being talked about. Is that too much to ask? Or are you (whoever "you" may be) going to stick with mentality "If they don't know what I'm talking about, then they'll just have to Google it".

Now that you mention it, it has been a while since I've been invited to a party.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Hello, I don’t post very often or do reviews. I have benefitted from people that do reviews as I generally research everything I buy. So for those that take the time to review stuff - thank you.

I was excited to receive the DMOS Elite shovel today and was really shocked by what I found. I will acknowledge up front that yes, it is a $200 or $300 shovel (depending on model) when you can get a shovel much cheaper. I appreciate though, innovative and really high quality / craftsmanship stuff. So I decided to purchase the Elite which is $300.

My initial impression when just taking the handle out of the box was how completely out of whack the tolerances where on the model I received. I was shocked as it appeared as though the holes drilled in the aluminum were done by hand. The handle was wobbly (for lack of a better description) and quite frankly the whole shovel was wobbly. One of the holes in the aluminum was oblong and not a circle. I requested a return label within about 30 min of unboxing which DMOS kindly provided.

My intent is not to bash the product but it is marketed as a very high quality tool and I really struggle with what I received. If it was produced better and did not feel so flimsy, I would have kept it. Just wanted just share my experience so people are not as surprised as I was upon receiving it.

I took some videos but they are all too large to post Even after I cut them down to a few seconds each. Anyone have some tips on posting video?

***** Edited to add videos below *****

Perhaps some of the tolerences might left loose on purpose in order to facilitate getting the pin through with dirt on the shovel. However, even if done on purpose, it just makes the entire feel extremely flimsy. So be advised so you are prepared to be okay with this while using the tool.

Also, before anyone asks... I did share my concerns with DMOS Collective. They told me they would share my feedback with their team. They did not tell me that what I experienced was an abnormality or unusual so I proceeded with the return.

I personally am going a different route now. I found and purchased another shovel that is fixed and I will update this post with my impressions on that shovel once I receive it.

Regards,
Consider it bashed. I use a Home Depot fiberglass one. I think it's about $30 now. I've had it for 30 yrs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke