DIY Wedge Camper - GFC Replica

Great write up! Especially appreciate the canvas part of the build as that is my biggest unknown as I design my own based on an aluminum shell. Now just need pics of it in use!

alia176

Explorer
I'd suggest adding a wind fairing since you have an awesome track system as the foundation. This is never the case on any RTTs that I know of.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ripcord_

I've got a short roof rack in the works that should act as a nice wind deflector. I thought about building a fairing off of the camper, but it would already have so much overhang I shelved that thought.

zaggie

Incredible. Great write up, great photos, and your willingness to share the experience....thank you very much.

ITTOG

I was looking at the build materials today. If I build this I am leaning towards a 9 inch depth for the top so I can have a 6 inch memory foam and room for sleeping bags. I may also make the can over a few feet longer so I don't have to fill in the access hope to sleep. Just ideas to make it unique for my application. Kind of excited but it may be several months before I can begin.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

loudboy

Observer
I have very strong and unjust feelings of dislike towards you stemming from envy :poop:

That build is incredibly well done, congratulations! I might have to revamp my camper using your build as a guide.

ITTOG

I noticed your side panels have a lot of rivets in them due to the angle brackets you added for rigidity. 2 questions related to this. First, did you add any silicone before using the rivets to ensure there were no leaks? Second, it doesn't appear GFC has any reinforcements which therefore eliminated all the extra holes in the side panel. How did they get away from adding reinforcements? Thanks in advance for your response.

Ripcord_

GFC does have the panel stiffeners, but I believe they epoxy them on. Rivets by design fill the hole they are in and create a somewhat seal. I have not had any water coming through.

ITTOG

Below is why I have been asking questions. Your build has inspired me. I may build just like yours but I only have a 5.5' bed so thinking about extending two feet.

Each block on the drawing represents 4". IMG_20200322_180226.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94