DIY trailer build tool question?

dixie1865

Observer
After a lot of reading, I bought a M416 (really good condition w/ minor surface rust) to turn into a off road/overland trailer.

My question to all the DIYers... What tools did you use throughout the project? Good/bad ones? Were there any you felt you did not end up needing?
I have plenty of sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, circular saw, drill, etc... (what I would consider the "normal" stuff) and will be taking a basic welding class soon. I have done form carpentry in the past, but metalwork will be new to me.

As I said, I have read a LOT, but haven't really noticed the tool aspect of the builds covered.

Thanks for the help and for the wealth of information throughout the site

Louisd75

Adventurer
You can do a remarkable amount of work with a 4-1/2" grinder and a variety of different discs, such as a cutoff wheel, grinding discs, flap discs and wire wheel attachments. Be sure to mind where your sparks go, wear a face shield, safety glasses and ear protection. A dust mask or respirator is a good idea as well. I like the Miller respirators that are low profile and fit under the welding hood. There are other similar low profile brands out there.

Portable bandsaws can be very handy but aren't cheap. I like Milwaukee's for ergonomics but DeWalt can be clamped in a vise and used like a regular bandsaw.

wbpolk

Its hard to put a tool list for a build without having some idea of what your looking to do or accomplish, or even your skill set.

On my build I didn't think I would have a need for rivets, but I used them.

Get a good drill and bits for the project! And if you can try and use the same size hardware were you can.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Spanna 53

Hello guys having built two sports cars a off road camper truck /expedition vehicle I have 2 of the said small angle grinders on a short "y" lead or double adaptor tipping you have these leads in the States too it saves pluging and unplugging to say nothing for changing between cutting and grinding discs all the time ,I also have a MIG welder and a stick welder all have been built up over many years of projects , between my son and my self we can produce about 70 g clamps of various sizes he is a joiner carpenter and l am a motor mechanic and it would be fair to say we are tool / toy tragics seam to have a thing for Millwalkie 18 volt battery gear too. Ross

CampStewart

Observer
You can get circular saw blades that will give clean cuts in metal, I like Diablo brand. Sawzall with the longest stroke and good variable speed control, you want slow blade speeds for metal. Many other tools are more useful than a sawzall but there are always cuts that only a sawzall can make. I like Milwaukee brand. Coupled with 4 inch grinder with 5/8 arbor (i would buy a 5 inch version) and you can do most anything. Portaband is great but I would get used to using the other tools first. Portaband is great for building things, not used as much to fix things. When I am fabbing i typically have 4 or 5ea 4 inch grinders each set up with different attachments.

tatanka48

back in my work a day world life(now retyred) teaching junior high shop the first "tool" that was used each time everyone(including administrators/visitors) picked up and put on and wore until they walked out of the shop was safety eye protection

i kept the eye safety cabinet supplied with several styles and sizes of safety eyewear that insured proper fit for all who entered

i personally wear ANSI approved corrective lenses on a daily basis(yes somewhat costly & yes wearing them right now)

the most important thing you can buy/keep on hand/use every time you enter your shop is GOOD/COMFORTABLE SAFETY EYEWEAR

the next item would be my denim apron w/ POCKETS(protects my clothing)

in those pockets are a wide blade tape measure w/ both conventional inches and metric measurements

also in the pockets are several marking tools like carpenter's pencil, sharpie & soapstone

i could go on butt i think this should get you started safely

SAFETY IS JOB #1

T

dytrdr5

a good welder, I recently got a Miller 211 and it welds a million times better than my old flux core welder could. Less splatter and nice clean looking welds

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
chop saw
4.5" grinder
Hobart gas mig. I have the one that will do 110/220. The 210 MVP. Nice to be able to just plug into a 110 socket for small jobs, but nice to have the horsepower as well. I have had a pro welder use it and his comments were it was really hot(a good thing).
1/4" impact is nice to have I have the top Dewalt one. 1850 inch/lbs.
I'd like a 1/2" impact but not there yet.
My trailer has a lot of holes(comm trailer) so I also have one of the copper backing plates for weld filling holes(haven't used it yet). Need to get some panel tools as well... hammer/dolly stuff.
Jackstands are a + too. I have some 12 ton HF stands that go full trailer height, actually use them for stabilizer jacks right now until I get mine mounted.

Brianj5600

Make friends with someone with a horizontal wet band saw.

1. I ended up getting a Harbor Freight chop saw. Cuts that are the correct angle weld easier and stronger.

2. 4.5" grinders are a good size for this as others have said. Cutting wheels and 36 grit flappers are about all I use.

3. Metal files can be useful at times.

I love my sawsall, but I have never been able to get good quality straight and square cuts with it.

dixie1865

Observer
To answer some questions...
I plan on leaving the tub whole and to extend the tongue a bit. I want a lid (haven't decided on design yet), and to build a frame outside the tub to mount a RTT on with lifts for the RTT (keep it low while traveling). The metal is really in pretty good shape. I was going to clean the rust, prime it, and bedine the whole thing.

I do have some Milwaukee M18 tools and have been acquiring drill bit's (figure I'll go through them). I have a smaller 30 gal compressor. I was looking at a Hobart 210mvp (after welding class). I believe in buy once, cry once and don't mind spending money on good tools I will keep and use for many years to come.

...and thanks tatanka for the concern. I agree wholeheartedly about safety first. I am a stickler for safety. I like my hearing, sight and body parts

honda250xtitan

chop saw, angle grinder with flap disks and cut off wheels. homemade press break would've been SUPER handy. Vice for holding small parts while you clean them up with the grinder. Drill press, LOTS of drill bits lol. A rivnut tool would've been nice as well, i made due with a bolt, couple spacers, wrench and impact driver to set the rivnuts tho. assorted clamps. Good markers/soapstone/scribe pens/whatever you wanna call them. I always came back to sharpies tho.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
2 grinders are really nice.
Don’t go without safety gear, including leathers for welding
When you invest in a welder, be sure to also invest in an auto-dark mask.
You can never have enough clamps or squares or measuring tools.

But the most important tool is Patience!

Spanna 53

Dixie the more you practice welding the better you will get the course will get you started and identify bad habits and short comings you may have , I got a lot of tips from farmer friends and the like as I was only 16 when I built my first trailer and my dad wasn't a handy man but both my grand fathers were so my skills had skipped a generation a couple of tape measures and plenty sticks of engineers chalk as for some reason these tend to grow legs ,and the auto darkening head shield is certainly worth the investment . I know what you are going through as I am working through much the same setting up and starting a car resto project with a mates grand son who is doing engineering at univesity and the course involves no workshop practice on the tools training so good luck Ross

Keith B.

Observer
Good on/off magnet squares.
StrongHandAdjustOMagnetSquare.jpg

Good clamps
ratchetapp3.jpg

Both are made by strong hand tools

THis is made by Lasquare and is simply amazing. I boutght one and the first time I used it I bought two more.

LAS12S_740x.jpg

dixie1865

Observer
Are there any tools that you feel were a waste of money? Did you go out and buy something for your trailer project and it didn't perform as advertised or just ended up nit being needed?

Thanks again for all the replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94