DIY Trailer build from Subaru Brat

loukoff

About five years ago I ended up buying a 1983 Subaru brat to steal the engine so I could put it in my 1979 for the extra 0.2 liters displacement. The 83 Brat was pretty much totally rotten underneath, so much so that when I strapped it down to the trailer the whole rear end shifted. The body itself still looked pretty good though so I told myself I would turn it into a trailer.

Brat 2 on trailer by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

I pulled off all the parts I wanted from it for my 1979/the trailer build and parted out the rest. It has sat in my yard being an eyesore ever since.

Pulling EA81 by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Fast forward five years and I finally decided it was time to chop the body up now that my families bobcat was working again and I'd have a way to move the scrap front end so I could take it to the scrapyard.

Mid Chop by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Chopped by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Braced the frame a little before cutting and a little more after

Braced by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Top Brace by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Heres how it currently sits until I get a chance to pickup some steel to make the frame of the trailer and decide on what I'm going to do with the suspension as this is going to be a budget build.
Topper Mockup by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

jpat30

Adventurer
cool and unique; Im in for this. Any more info on that Nomad you have poking out of the garage?

loukoff

cool and unique; Im in for this. Any more info on that Nomad you have poking out of the garage?

That's my Dads 1957 Nomad with the 283 and powerpack 4 barrel barn find, pretty much all original with about 80k miles on it now. We redid the floors and running boards together, brakes, suspension and engine tuneup as well. A few years ago we took it on a 2000 mile road trip from Minnesota to Billings, Montana for the Annual Chevy Nomad Association Convention!

loukoff

This project got put on hold for quite a while as I've had some other priorities in life and my budget for projects was low. But I'm finally getting started on it again and it should come together relatively quickly now. I just picked up a used Magnum Power Products MMG45 generator trailer which had the generator removed. The trailer is rated for 5000lbs, has surge brakes and is most definitely overkill for anything that I need. But picking up a already built trailer frame saves me a lot of time and effort in fabricating, the price was right and the dimensions are pretty much spot on for fitting the brat. It's a little rough around the edges but it should be a good base to fit the brat bed to and for modifying to be a little more capable off road.

MPP Trailer1 by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

MPP Trailer2 by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

First thing is going to be gutting the rest of the brat inner bed and wheel wells and doing some test fitting. I'm also going to get a ball hitch coupler to replace the lunette ring for now but I'll probably keep it in case I ever plan to take it on rougher terrain I can swap out at the ball for a pintle hook at the trailhead. I'm thinking I'll also do a ubolt flip and go spring over axle to get some extra clearance on the trailer deck. I'll probably be pulling out a leaf as well because it wont ever see the same amount of weight as the beefy diesel generator it was made for again.

loukoff

you need to go read this thread, the rear suby suspension makes a great off road setup.

The underbody was shot otherwise I wouldve just kept the torsion rear subaru suspension. The rear subframe literally pulled away from the body when I strapped it down to the trailer when I got it in 2014. Tt ended up in the scrapyard a few years ago. Didn't think about using the suspension with a custom trailer frame at the time so here we are.

loukoff

Moved the trailer into the garage today and got a decent start on the trailer mods. I was considering keeping the surge brakes but theres no way I'll need them so I decided to simplify things and ditch the brakes and surge coupler and threw on a 2" ball hitch coupler. I flipped the axle to spring over and added some 31" all terrains I got on a vehicle I picked up as a donor for the engine and ecu. I think it lifted the trailer about 4-5".
Trailer lifted 2 by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Trailer lifted by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Now to fit the body

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94