DIY Telescoping Lift for RTT on Trailer

Mark2457

This was my setup with linear actuators, 16" of travel, worked out very well for several years. I used threaded tube adapters in the tops of the telescopic posts after a welded nut setup failed (mostly due to a poor weld on my part). Trailer went all over in this configuration, Death Valley, Mojave Road....miles and miles of washboard road with zero issues. I had lock out pins to when it was it was down and up but frankly didn't need to use them. Build thread in my sig.

This is a pic when I was testing out the wiring

i-MC3XPPn-L.jpg

Final product
i-Z7j4shs-L.jpg

Thanks

Looks awesome and my ideal goal

Do you have a build thread somewhere with details?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john61ct

Adventurer
Looks great, but not something that I can buy?
Not afaik, just a design concept.

Seems a lot simpler, cheaper more flexible and more robust than the gas strut approach.

My need is for between 200 and 800# of load at any given time will vary greatly.

joshuag23

Thanks! Build thread in my signature below

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

The link in your sig didn't work for me. Looks like it's the exclamation point in the URL.

dstock

Explorer
The link in your sig didn't work for me. Looks like it's the exclamation point in the URL.

Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Hoghead

Observer
Mine is very similar to dstock’s. I just don’t have any good pictures of it (and no build thread) However, I didn’t go thru the trouble of putting heim joints on the rack. Great idea, but not one that I had at the time. But mine still works, no binding. I say that to let you know not to over think it. it is very doable. When you get your steel, tell your supplier you want the tubing to nest one inside the other. I would also say, I like the large tube on top to prevent water intrusion. I did not do that and wished I had. Buy some steel and get to welding! Or hire a fabricator, no shame in that. Just more expensive.

dstock

Explorer
Mine is very similar to dstock’s. I just don’t have any good pictures of it (and no build thread) However, I didn’t go thru the trouble of putting heim joints on the rack. Great idea, but not one that I had at the time. But mine still works, no binding. I say that to let you know not to over think it. it is very doable. When you get your steel, tell your supplier you want the tubing to nest one inside the other. I would also say, I like the large tube on top to prevent water intrusion. I did not do that and wished I had. Buy some steel and get to welding! Or hire a fabricator, no shame in that. Just more expensive.

Hoghead raises a couple good points. The steel you want for nesting tubing into one another is called Telescopic Tubing. If you do go with large tube outside with lift tube inside like mine, drill a small hole from underneath the trailer directly under the large tube so that any water intrusion has a place to drain. Have fun!

Eugene the Jeep

Here’s my version. If I were to do it again I would make a few modifications. Feel free to ask questions. Can videos be uploaded on here?

FF69D8E6-CC74-4466-A19B-73CBC8BD08CD.png5FB09320-912C-4928-BB7E-6206B32172A7.pngE26AE0EB-BA1D-4E4E-8E4F-C2211EAD87CE.pngD5F771EF-3B82-4D5A-8FC2-8B184DE437A7.png

Last edited:

kmacafee

Adventurer
Here's a sped up video of setup:

https://youtu.be/02Bx9hcfbIQ

I think it's just a over 3 min in real time.

I'd be hesitant to use aluminum for the telescoping portion because of its softness. But I'd definitely use aluminum for the top tent platform, which I didn't do.
Good thing they don't use aluminum to build airplanes, ships, trucks, rockets then.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles