DIY Super Singles

javajoe79

Fabricator
Nice project. I’m doing something similar. I was considering using the same wheels as you but I think 18” is more ideal for me. I’m currently working on a set using Hey wheel 18” two piece wheels.

baipin

Hey Abitibi, did you end up mounting your PS22's on the 20x10 rims yet? Since they're MPT-style tires, did you have problems with seating the bead properly? See what this guy had to go through to make 20x10 wheels with the same bead profile work:

I have some MPT81's and Hutchinson 20x10's lined up for an excellent price but am scared to pull the trigger because of stuff like this...

Abitibi

Explorer
Wow, I completely forgot to update this post. Yes, the PS22 fit fine on the 10" rims. I just used an air Canon to set the bead, went really easy.

No rubbing at all and I realized I could have even gone with taller tires (44's). I might even be able to fit 46's, just not sure if I'd need a small lift of the leafs.

As for rpm/speed, with the old 35's tires at 55mph (89kmh) I was running 2700rpm and now I'm down to 2400rpm. So not as big of a drop as I expected or wished but in the right direction! I still need to start in 2nd gear but overall the truck is much nicer to drive especially in the city (less shifting).

Cheers
David
13b1349c159f116a76ca7ffdf2253c78.jpg
54a938e49dc26974a8deb494b86dc6d2.jpg
48adff488707e3ed56007b433ae9a5c9.jpg
6d728b0e4cee02a3073826944cc4abe5.jpg
42de64a030f248ced9cecb58bfb7eda7.jpg
f2fa5b1e64e7d481d019ff605029d76f.jpg
8f9eead953b3b2556ec762603159306d.jpg
d65aa591525acc71b5e8745ac1a957a4.jpg
722b9d464abf350b54460007eb4a6890.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Now i need to figure a way to climb in, lol.
If you can have the lower step stick out some it will make a HUGE difference in the ease of climbing. As you can see below my Fuso was a 'vertical' climb, while the MB1017 has the lower step out a little (not past the tire) which is great.

steps.jpg
For reference here are the step/floor/seat heights from my vehicles (Mammut-MB1017 on 46", Kodiak-C4500 on 42", Fuso on 37" F250 on 35")
heights.png

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
If you can have the lower step stick out some it will make a HUGE difference in the ease of climbing. As you can see below my Fuso was a 'vertical' climb, while the MB1017 has the lower step out a little (not past the tire) which is great.

View attachment 770080
For reference here are the step/floor/seat heights from my vehicles (Mammut-MB1017 on 46", Kodiak-C4500 on 42", Fuso on 37" F250 on 35")
View attachment 770089

You brought a good point with the step sticking out for ease of access. For now I use the steps for the back door and move on the tire to get inside, feels like a jungle gym, lol.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Wow! That truck looks tough with the new shoes! Well done. I do like the "rim steps" of the old wheels on that beast. Not really steps but at least a little purchase to help get in the monster. You see them on old 4x4 fire trucks in Australia too.

Once again following along. Are you still planning on extending the frame?

Abitibi

Explorer
Wow! That truck looks tough with the new shoes! Well done. I do like the "rim steps" of the old wheels on that beast. Not really steps but at least a little purchase to help get in the monster. You see them on old 4x4 fire trucks in Australia too.

Once again following along. Are you still planning on extending the frame?
I sure miss the rim ring, made it easy to get in and I've been thinking how I could build something similar.

As for the frame I'm planning to extend the Wheelbase for sure. Instead of cutting and extending the frame I'll move the axle back then decide if I need to extend the frame tail.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
That's what I had on the original rims and I agree, they work really well!
The old 404 Unimogs had rim steps. While it would not be a direct bolt-on as those are 6 lug rims, there has to be a million of those that were removed and sitting around as 'junk' so a cheap easy starting point.
404 rim step.png

The old 404 Unimogs had rim steps. While it would not be a direct bolt-on as those are 6 lug rims, there has to be a million of those that were removed and sitting around as 'junk' so a cheap easy starting point.
View attachment 770267

Anyone have a good diagram/pic of how the rim steps mount on? I'm about to have some wheels made, and if a small modification during manufacture would help this would be super nice down the road...

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Anyone have a good diagram/pic of how the rim steps mount on? I'm about to have some wheels made, and if a small modification during manufacture would help this would be super nice down the road...

6 lug wheels, so 3 of the holes were large enough to fit over the lugnuts, and 3 were stamped with a concave surface to duplicate the mounting surface.
That way you could remove the 3 lugnuts not at the oversized holes and remove the step so it was out of the way, before removing the final 3 lugs.

rimstep1.jpg
So they mount on standard rims with standard lugnuts. No special requirements for the rim

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Just make sure they are legal in your country before committing to them, as I am pretty sure that they are no longer legal in Australia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles