DIY Super Singles

Abitibi

Explorer
Good day all!

I posted some of this information in my Hino build thread but figured some might not visit my post and could still benefit from the information so here it is.

My Hino came with a 8 lugs pattern which proved to be almost impossible to find super singles locally (in Canada). I found a few places ready to build me a set but their turn around time was either too long or the price too high. I'm cheap and loves to build all my projects so I gave it a go.

I purchased 5 Titan 20"x10" military rims, these came with a 10 lugs pattern. I could have bought different style but they looked like they could work for what I had in mind. Next was to figure out my current bolt pattern and hub center size. I also confirmed that my Hino came with the older style lug nuts (lug centric).

Screenshot_20230109_142729_Messenger.jpg

20230118_144750.jpg

20230118_150638.jpg

First step was to disassemble the military rims and cut the center piece of the outer rim. I brought those parts to a local water jet shop for that part. With the center part out I was able to properly measure the maximum diameter available within that outer rim. We transferred all the measurements into a CAD program and came up with a new face plate for my Hino lug pattern. Quick template on cardboard to confirm the fit which was bang on.

20230118_144529.jpg

20230118_160642.jpg

cut rim.png

More water jet magic and I now had a new 3/8" hot rolled steel face plate. The 8 lug holes were bored on both sides so the rims could be flipped to fit either at the front or the rear. All 5 plates were sandblasted in preparation for the paint. My shop isn't heated and it's too cold to paint so I'm trying to find a paint booth rental or a paint shop that could help me out to get this done. As for water jet, it isn't cheap but it does perfect clean cuts and doesn't stress the metal. It's also relatively quick compared to a more traditional machine shop.

20230126_160046.jpg

20230126_141103.jpg

These are all the pictures I have for now but I'll post updates as they become available.

Cheers
David

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Looks like you have been having fun...
As far as I know, for singles to be legal here in Oz they have to be a DOT rated/certified rim. That is not a process you would want to pay for as an individual.
Different countries... different rules! :)

How close did you get the front and rear track with this rim modification?

Abitibi

Explorer
My goal was to make them safe but I guess it's still the wild west out here. ;) I'm glad not to be in EU where you can't even install your own trailer hitch!!! Isn't building your own projects part of the fun? From my measurements, the front and rear will track within 2cm (3/4") and will stick out approx. 5cm (2") from the previous rims which isn't a bad thing.

baipin

You have the 335/80r20 Pista's, right? I've heard they're suited for 8.5" to 9.0" wide rims - any reason you went with 10"? I'm curious what your total wheel weight will be and what the axleshaft size is - if you think the larger size will at all be a problem?

Good work though! Were the adapter plates cheaper to get done yourself, than through Western Canadian Rockwell?

Abitibi

Explorer
You have the 335/80r20 Pista's, right? I've heard they're suited for 8.5" to 9.0" wide rims - any reason you went with 10"? I'm curious what your total wheel weight will be and what the axleshaft size is - if you think the larger size will at all be a problem?

Good work though! Were the adapter plates cheaper to get done yourself, than through Western Canadian Rockwell?

Typical 335/80r20 recommend 10-11" rims so not sure why the Pirelli would be different (I also read 9" for them) but it's still within specs. Also, going 10" allows me to move to a 365 if I later decide to.

As for Rockwell, I don't think I save that much money (I did, just nothing major) but I was able control the quality as I built them, mainly for the measurements and test fit, etc. and I also saved another $500 for shipping. They also offered different wheels and it wasn't clear if their wheels were a finish product (painted) or not. If someone has a more typical rim to go with then they would be a good option.

Abitibi

Explorer
Beautiful work, heres hoping you have no legal issues in BC.
Is your flat plate a heavier gauge than the stamped/formed original?
At some point you may want/need to consult a professional engineer.
Same gauge as the original but hot pressed steel vs unknown Hino steel specs. The only difference I could have done to make them even stronger would be to bevel only one side of the lug holes. That would require me to undo all 20 bolts and flip the center disc every time I'd rotate front to rear. But the piece I built is on a vertical plan which is much stronger than an horizontal one. It also has a small surface area considering the center bore is almost 9" and overall diameter 19" and supported by 20 bolts. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
My Hino came with a 8 lugs pattern which proved to be almost impossible to find super singles locally (in Canada). I found a few places ready to build me a set but their turn around time was either too long or the price too high.
What 8 lug pattern is your Hino?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Going from memory they are 8 on 285
Interesting. Certainly an odd size.
285.75 is the standard for 10-lug wheels, while the C4500/5500 Kodiaks, Some Mercedes, International MXTs, have 8x275. It is nice you had a capable water jet place available.

Abitibi

Explorer
Yes, I think 8x285 isn't that common but does exist in some applications. Would have been so nice to just find rims that fitted! Lol

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Yes, I think 8x285 isn't that common but does exist in some applications. Would have been so nice to just find rims that fitted! Lol

This is critical beta! From my lazy shade tree math I figured they were 8x275. That was from a tape measure. You know measure once, cut twice. Glad somebody around here knows what they're doing!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Going from memory they are 8 on 285
I just hope that you measured correctly, as a metric PCD is normally an exact multiplication of an imperial size. Why I don't know, but that's usually the way it is.

As an example... my Fuso has a 6 stud, 222.25mm PCD, which equates exactly to 8.75"
I would agree with Mog that your PCD is more logically 285.75mm, as that equates to 11.25".

Having said that, a simple test would be to hang one of the disks off the studs, with the top stud at 12 o'clock.
The tops of the top and bottom holes should rest equally on the threads of the studs.
It should be quite easy to see by eye if it were out by 0.75mm or not.

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Yes, it might very well be 285.75mm, I just recall it wasn't 275 as I thought they would be. For some reason it's the only measurement missing on the CAD printout so I'll confirm with the shop in a few days. I did hang one of the new disk plates on a hub and it was a good fit...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles