DIY storage system it for cloths, camping gear, etc.?

oharing

I am planning a trip with my 2 teenager daughter this summer. I have a tundra with a truck cap. I would like to build a DIY storage system in it for cloths, camping gear, etc.

Is there a links here in this forum that explain my options and how to build them....?

Thanks so much!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I let each of my kids have 1 duffle bag like a gym bag. I specifically bought some that fit in my Jeep in a single layer. Dirty clothes go together in a bag designated until the next laundry stop. If you are looking for drawer systems or something, that is what this forum does (among other things), look at the storage solutions section down near the bottom of the page. There are literally thousands of ideas out there.

gatorgrizz27

Are you planning to sleep in the bed or tent camp? The more dedicated drawer systems are great where you’re on the road for months, but not ideal for shorter trips IMO due to the packing/unpacking involved. I’d build a plywood platform over the wheel wells, and use plastic bins that slide under it. You could tie a piece of paracord to the ones that will get pushed way up in there and loop it over a hook by the tailgate to allow for easy retrieval.

I also agree with the duffel bag idea, it’s a much better system if you’re staying at hotels, with friends/family sometimes also, rather than having all your t-shirts folded in a drawer in the truck bed.

rruff

Explorer
I am planning a trip with my 2 teenager daughter this summer. I have a tundra with a truck cap. I would like to build a DIY storage system in it for cloths, camping gear, etc.

Nice DC Long! (y)

Will anyone (or everyone) be sleeping in the truck?

Will the storage be permanent or temporary?

Do you want to keep the back seat intact?

DailyExpedition

Definitely need more details, but for me, I use ridgid tool boxes, cheap, stackable, durable, and watertight
599978fe6ac97cb308a0c7a498be3c5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oharing

Are you planning to sleep in the bed or tent camp? The more dedicated drawer systems are great where you’re on the road for months, but not ideal for shorter trips IMO due to the packing/unpacking involved. I’d build a plywood platform over the wheel wells, and use plastic bins that slide under it. You could tie a piece of paracord to the ones that will get pushed way up in there and loop it over a hook by the tailgate to allow for easy retrieval.

I also agree with the duffel bag idea, it’s a much better system if you’re staying at hotels, with friends/family sometimes also, rather than having all your t-shirts folded in a drawer in the truck bed.

I am planning to sleep in the bed. The plywood platform idea sounds great. I was thinking about using home depot wood boxes but the plastic ones are probably more rigid... I would take a smaller car if I hotel is the option. Thank God, the kids still find it "cool" to sleep in the back of the truck. In a few years they may be too cool for it and no more road trips with dad... :(

oharing

Definitely need more details, but for me, I use ridgid tool boxes, cheap, stackable, durable, and watertight
599978fe6ac97cb308a0c7a498be3c5d.jpg

I like this. Do you think these would be better than regular plastic boxes pushed under the sleeping platform? I am thinking about building a sleeping platform on the bed and use the empty space underneath as cargo space...

oharing

Nice DC Long! (y)

Will anyone (or everyone) be sleeping in the truck?

Will the storage be permanent or temporary?

Do you want to keep the back seat intact?

All three of us. My two daughters and me will be sleeping in the truck bed.

Storage would be for the trip only.

back seat...? Hmmm.... I am listening to you!

DailyExpedition

I like this. Do you think these would be better than regular plastic boxes pushed under the sleeping platform? I am thinking about building a sleeping platform on the bed and use the empty space underneath as cargo space...

Definitely, I originally bought mine for work to carry tools and supplies, but they work very well for dry storage on trips

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
We use large-ish plastic totes for almost everything. Clothing, food, camping gear, etc. They're plentiful, inexpensive, stack on top of each other and are reasonably waterproof to the point where if we need to set them outside they will keep the contents dry.

You can get them almost anywhere.

totes.jpg

If you get transparent ones it's easier to see what's inside. We've been doing this since 2012 and it's worked very well for us.

They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, so if you want to get ones that are small enough to slide under your sleeping platform, you can.

My two pieces of advice would be (1) don't get totes that are too big, better to have two smaller totes than one oversize one and (2) get the kind with some sort of positive "latch" to hold the lid on vs the kind that just sort of "snap" on. IME the "snap" on ones will wear out and pretty soon even a small gust of wind can blow the lid off the box.

Are they rugged? Well, they're rugged ENOUGH. And if they break? Throw them out and get a new one, they're inexpensive. Having said that, we have more than a few that have lasted 10+ years of being knocked around in a truck or trailer and are still intact.

Reactions: WVI

AMH_buys

I prefer these Sterilite gasket boxes in shelf cabinets with doors that latch securely.
If I needed something more rugged, I'd probably go with toolboxes as mentioned above.
Untitled.png

Last edited:

billiebob

wonderful picture.
cherish these days.
as a Grandparent you will miss the children more than anything.

ps, for storage I swear but soft sided duffles plus a few hard sided inexpensive totes for heavy, bulky, hard camping items.
Best if the kids pick their own duffles, very cool if the can personalize, label, "tatoo" their bags.
Multi colours work well to find the bag you desperately need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior