DIY Spacekap Camper Conversion

wow totally forgot to update this thread! It’s been just over two months living on the road full-time and our rig is still rock solid. We have a lot to do on the interior still but we just wanted to get out here (BC) as soon as we could from Ontario! We were incredibly lucky with the weather when travelling here at the end of october. Here are some photos of the rig attached to this reply. Can’t wait to finish the interior in a couple months and post some more photos once that happens
2dd2c70b27357efe48405f959a4f436b.jpg

16f74d2d67c32220f81c0b8e701451c4.jpg

68efcd99526ef60ee987f0f1c33a6282.jpg

666e9983017a88e7c709b6e0391f9e5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How are you attaching the walls to the spacekap?

kiar

Yeah that was my other plan, and then house all the mechanical stuff in the front of the cab over and build shelves in front of it for storage. I guess that's what I'll have to do, I'm just in the early stages right now. Just sucks because with that layout I'm going to lose the windows in the cabover. However it gives me a lot more room for storage

awesome! more storage the better - i’ve noticed (at least with the windows i have) they’re pretty fogged up so you can’t really see out of them anyway, just adds a bit of light but i plan on making some black out shades for them anyway as that’s the only area that gives us away when we’re trying to be “stealth” parked in a parking lot some nights. if you plan on adding some windows to the sides you should have plenty of light

kiar

With all the discussion in other threads concerning weights and overloading.

What's your rig now weigh with the SpaceKap installed and your improvements?

not really sure exactly but fully loaded right now i wouldn’t think it’s anywhere over 900lbs

Noahpan

awesome! more storage the better - i’ve noticed (at least with the windows i have) they’re pretty fogged up so you can’t really see out of them anyway, just adds a bit of light but i plan on making some black out shades for them anyway as that’s the only area that gives us away when we’re trying to be “stealth” parked in a parking lot some nights. if you plan on adding some windows to the sides you should have plenty of light

Started insulation, and ran a few wires. Got my exhaust fan and solar panels mounted. Just going with a window in the big door, I want to be somewhat stealthy, just need one window to crack for airflow.

Attachments

• 20230112_215440.jpg
    20230112_215440.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 142

kiar

Started insulation, and ran a few wires. Got my exhaust fan and solar panels mounted. Just going with a window in the big door, I want to be somewhat stealthy, just need one window to crack for airflow.

looking good!

xyzzyxch

Hi Kiar, nice build! I'm on my way to pick up the same model but without the molded fiberglass frame (or strip) inside. I'm thinking attaching some fairing strips by using construction screws and filling in the insulation along these strips. It looks like you end up using Thinsulate right? And on top of that, do you panel with plywood? How do you like it so far? Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne