DIY Solo RTT mounting contraption

dstock

Explorer
How about adding wheels to the bottom (or a wheeled rack that it lowers onto) so after you offload it from the vehicle you can just roll it into the garage for storage?

Interesting idea. It actually slides pretty easily when stood on it's side, but a couple of small rollers on one side would probably be even better. I may never be done with this thing! LOL

Mevman

Rich Kimball
THIS IS GREAT. Capital letters intended. Just received my Autana by Tepui RTT and DW and I have been pondering how we were going to get it on the roof of the JK.
Thanks for this idea!!

Happy trails,
Rich

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Cool idea. Do you even need to raise the platform up? Have you tried putting one end on the ground and push the tent up like a ramp?

I have the same problem with a low garage, so far I've taken my tent on an off about 3-4 times by myself using the blanket method (throw blanket on top of the car and just slide on/off. It's actually not that bad, but I've only done it on my minivan and subaru. I think I'll have problems when putting it on my FJ40 due to the added height. I was planning on using a ramp similar to your setup but don't have the rack mounted yet to try it.

dstock

Explorer
THIS IS GREAT. Capital letters intended. Just received my Autana by Tepui RTT and DW and I have been pondering how we were going to get it on the roof of the JK.
Thanks for this idea!!

Happy trails,
Rich

Thanks, I stole the idea from another expo member and as with all things added my own twists to it, but it works!

Cool idea. Do you even need to raise the platform up? Have you tried putting one end on the ground and push the tent up like a ramp?

I have the same problem with a low garage, so far I've taken my tent on an off about 3-4 times by myself using the blanket method (throw blanket on top of the car and just slide on/off. It's actually not that bad, but I've only done it on my minivan and subaru. I think I'll have problems when putting it on my FJ40 due to the added height. I was planning on using a ramp similar to your setup but don't have the rack mounted yet to try it.

With the JK, angle is pretty steep from the ground, and I wanted something I could do by myself if necessary. If you could manage to get at least halfway between the ground and horizontal it would probably be do-able. I already had the hoist so lifting it to level was the easiest for me. Sure don't want to drop it!

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
How about adding wheels to the bottom (or a wheeled rack that it lowers onto) so after you offload it from the vehicle you can just roll it into the garage for storage?

I like this idea. I was thinking of building some sort of cage to hold it while in storage. Right now I'm using my creeper as a dolly to store the tent vertically when it's not on the the roof. Maybe combine the two ideas and have a mounting contraption/storage dolly combined into one so you can wheel it up to the car, hook it on and lift.

Also, I'm using a ratcheting wrench for the bolts which makes life easier, but I'm going to get one of these also to try and speed up the process. I should probably just cut the bolts as short as possible to eliminate the extra length, but I haven't decided how I'm going to permanently mount the tent yet.

sstan

dstock

I'm glad to see that the idea helped you. I use a come along to raise mine as it lets me fine tune the lift height without messing with tying off a pulley line. Then I can use gravity to help with the load or unload. The friction of the tent bars on the hardwood I find help me control it.

dstock

Explorer
dstock

I'm glad to see that the idea helped you. I use a come along to raise mine as it lets me fine tune the lift height without messing with tying off a pulley line. Then I can use gravity to help with the load or unload. The friction of the tent bars on the hardwood I find help me control it.

Thanks sstan, appears to be helping others too!

I can't use a come along because of the limited height at the outside of my garage. The come along, even a small one is too long. The pulley while not perfect has been working great. I also agree that the friction with the bars on the hardwood is a good thing, otherwise I'd be afraid it would slide off one side.

I've recently purchased a M101A1 trailer (build thread in sig) and soon the RTT will be mounted permanently on it, but this was a great solution to get me through in the meantime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94