DIY soft shackle

Photobug

Any make their own soft shackles?

I am a sailor, and have done some splicing including soft shackles and have all the fids and splicing accesories. I want to try to make some soft shackles to add to my recovery kit. I think the procedure would be the same but the loads and resulting rope diameters much bigger. Anyone splice their own soft sackles? Looking for advice and where did you get your supplies?

Photobug

Nevermind. I realize this topic has been well covered in this other thread.

NorthwestDriver

That other thread is a good start, but I’ll add some tips here:

-Amstel Blue (dyneema) is the material of choice
-WLL is doubled for shackles because the shackle is effectively two loops of material
-Knot choice varies, I used the half-button based on my research
-Marine supply shops are a great source for materials
-These knots require about 108 rope diameters to tie, plus a few extra inches for “tails” which will be spliced into the shackle body

For a 4” diameter shackle, you will need 5’-6’ of 3/8” rope. Smaller diameters of rope need slightly less, larger diameters need slightly more.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
For the most basic way to make your own soft shackle, here is a good tutorial.

slomatt

Adventurer
I just made a set of 10" and 15" loop soft shackles out of 7/16" Amsteel Blue. The rope was purchased from Dutchware, I'll try to remember to post some pictures. I basically followed the design of a Factor 55 shackle I already own, with some adjustments to the length of the burry in the middle of the loop. The most difficult part was learning how to tie a button knot, and figuring out how to effectively tighten it.

For fun/practice I also made several mini shackles out of 7/64" Amsteel Blue. This was actually more difficult to work than the larger diameter rope, but I now have some overkill (MBS = ~3200lbs) mini shackles for holding up a tarp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier