DIY rafting style tables

Has anyone built their own tables? I’m looking at a NRS rafting table, but weight isn’t really a concern. More specifically, I need a couple of tables for group food prep. 6-8 foot long, 24 inches deep, and 36” tall. I have some ideas on the surface and edge material, but need ideas for the legs. I don’t want cheap, chinamart, plastic tables.

oglj

Roommate built one. Plywood surface with threaded metal flanges screwed on the bottom that interface with threaded PVC pipe legs. Simple, functional, collapsible, durable.

Reactions: WVI

Scoutman

Explorer
Looks like the NRS table just uses straps to keep the legs from splaying too far out but don't positively lock out. If I were building a table (and I've considered it many times) I would look into the leg design of the Drifta line of camp boxes/tables. Seems pretty straightforward once you figure out what size tubing to use. Seems most are a frame with a top screwed to it. You can also look at tables from Tembo Tusk for some other ideas.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Working on building some currently (but very slowly) 72x30x36. 3/4” Steel tube hoop with expanded metal top and steel tube legs. I like the strap idea, as one of my hang ups so far has been figuring out how to keep the legs from overextending without a machine shop to do the work. At a tube wall of 0.056” these will be light and theoretically easy to hold up to the rigors of camping. The vision was from some lightweight expanded metal lawn furniture we have. I almost cut some up to re-weld it, but decided to stick with starting from scratch.

I decided to add 1/2” nuts and bolts to the bottom of the legs for some leveling feet too.

Scoutman

Explorer
Working on building some currently (but very slowly) 72x30x36. 3/4” Steel tube hoop with expanded metal top and steel tube legs. I like the strap idea, as one of my hang ups so far has been figuring out how to keep the legs from overextending without a machine shop to do the work. At a tube wall of 0.056” these will be light and theoretically easy to hold up to the rigors of camping. The vision was from some lightweight expanded metal lawn furniture we have. I almost cut some up to re-weld it, but decided to stick with starting from scratch.

I decided to add 1/2” nuts and bolts to the bottom of the legs for some leveling feet too.

I know you said x-metal top where these are attached to a wood laminate top but it may give you some ideas. Leg supports seem to be tube crossbars with a larger tube slipped over them. The support tube has a simple spring loaded button latch inside the inner tube. Outer tube has holes for that spring loaded button to engage to. Not sure if that make sense but you can see what I'm talking about here.

Pict taken from 70sguy on IH8Mud
Oct 011.jpg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
After looking at those Regency tables I think I’m going to abandon my tube table project and buy one or two. It is hard to beat $130 each for a stainless table.

On edit: until you consider $50 each in shipping... maybe still a good deal? So I thought maybe $50 would cover shipping 2... nope then shipping becomes $168...

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I know you said x-metal top where these are attached to a wood laminate top but it may give you some ideas. Leg supports seem to be tube crossbars with a larger tube slipped over them. The support tube has a simple spring loaded button latch inside the inner tube. Outer tube has holes for that spring loaded button to engage to. Not sure if that make sense but you can see what I'm talking about here.

Pict taken from 70sguy on IH8Mud
View attachment 592919

That is similar to what I was thinking except I had my leg cross tube bolted on a pivot through the outer tube of the table edge.

My buddy uses these.
Really, I dont know if its this specific model, but they are made by this Regency company.

I think I’m going to nix the DIY tables. These stainless steel tables look like a better option. I found some risers that go on the legs that will bring them up to 36”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles