DIY Propane Firepit

java

Expedition Leader
I'm thinking about stealing your idea but custom modding the ammo can to be thinner

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
Let's see it! Thinner height wise?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AaronK

Explorer
Yeah. Mine won't need the regulator so there's a lot of wasted space

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Rut Ro

Nice simple fabrication. Good work. Its an idea to consider for those of us that can't use traditional campfire methods.

VicMackey

Adventurer
Ingenious, I wonder what other metal container could be used to allow more warmth and perhaps a better view of the flames. Maybe an older beer keg?

I am thinking you could put some large holes in the sides of the ammo can. Perhaps 5 or 6 baseball sized holes going around the perimeter of the can itself. I suspect it would let the lava rock fall out if it were to tip over during transport, but otherwise I think the can would hold its shape and remain rigid enough for transport.

Jeffer949

Observer
I am thinking you could put some large holes in the sides of the ammo can. Perhaps 5 or 6 baseball sized holes going around the perimeter of the can itself. I suspect it would let the lava rock fall out if it were to tip over during transport, but otherwise I think the can would hold its shape and remain rigid enough for transport.

The holes would help the heat dissipate out more for sure. Then to contain the lava rock from falling out. Use the same expanded metal to cover them. ORRR cut the can in 2 and weld a 2-3" box of the expanded metal around the perimeter. and weld the top back on! Or cut out a 2-3" section if you don't want to ad height. Also i don't know much about propane connections but is there a quick connect like an air hose that could be used?

java

Expedition Leader
The holes would help the heat dissipate out more for sure. Then to contain the lava rock from falling out. Use the same expanded metal to cover them. ORRR cut the can in 2 and weld a 2-3" box of the expanded metal around the perimeter. and weld the top back on! Or cut out a 2-3" section if you don't want to ad height. Also i don't know much about propane connections but is there a quick connect like an air hose that could be used?
There are quick connections, but they are $$. A small wrench is much cheaper and More flare fitting is easy to seat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lumpy70

Observer
... OP you might want to see about filing a patent or something. I wouldn't be surprised to see this being marketed in a heartbeat. It's just such a cool idea!

I think this is awesome. I'd be cautious about patents / liability. I can't 100% confirm but I heard that Campfire-in-a-can had a lot of trouble selling in the States due to the liability implications. Their website has shown things out of stock forever: https://campfireinacan.com/collections/all

Like I said, no affilitation and if I'm wrong I'll happily edit this post...I just heard they aren't selling for those reasons.

That said, great idea and I want to build one. I think it would be cool with a quick connect like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-59903-Propane-Quick-Connect-Fitting/dp/B007HG7WUQ and this
https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-57282-10-Feet-Propane-Quick-Connect/dp/B00CPYC9BC

colierar

Observer
When are you going to post this over at reddit DIY? They loved the truck, I am sure they will love this. I might have to make one. Good idea.

java

Expedition Leader
When are you going to post this over at reddit DIY? They loved the truck, I am sure they will love this. I might have to make one. Good idea.

HA my Reddit is leaking! I did.... Didn't go over well I guess! The r/overland guys liked it tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles