DIY Propane Firepit

robcc

Any suggestions on a the correct hose length? I ordered an 8' one since that is the length for our outland firebowl. I think people use a shorter hose so it will store in the box.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I’ve had the hose melt out of mine too, I attributed it to trying to use it like a burner and used it to cook with using a pan. Thought the reflected heat in the box lead to the demise. I replaced it with a a steel braided line. I may make another “burner” out of smaller diameter brass and drill smaller holes. I’m trying for smaller flame and less crazy fire ball effect when turned up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

helidave

I’ve had the hose melt out of mine too, I attributed it to trying to use it like a burner and used it to cook with using a pan. Thought the reflected heat in the box lead to the demise. I replaced it with a a steel braided line. I may make another “burner” out of smaller diameter brass and drill smaller holes. I’m trying for smaller flame and less crazy fire ball effect when turned up.

Did the steel braided line hold up better? I had the same issue.

dstefan

I was thinking of building one of these but using 1/2" black iron pipe (vs bent copper) like I've seen in the lava box. I was considering adding a brass air mixer to solve the soot issue but after reading a few of these posts I'm gathering this will make the flame more blue vs a yellow flame. Am I correct that there is a trade off of soot/ yellow flame vs blue flame/cleaner burn with an air mixer? I think I saw Ignik firecan has an air mixer when I looked at it at a store.

Been thinking about a portble box — great thread!

I have a small home fire pit I made using parts from easyfirepits.com. (good guys with a wealth of info and parts for DIY fire pits. The soot bothered me a bit (as a home pit it has copper colored glass “rocks” and they blackened and worse the soot in the air triggered my asthma)

EasyFirePits sells a nice SS venturi valve which mixes air into the line. Just screws in between the hose and the fitting. https://easyfirepits.com/shop/ols/products/air-sm
Really reduced the soot and it did NOT turn the flame blue. Natural gas will burn blue on its own, and propane will with a lot of air and under pressure like a stove, but not in a fire pit, at least with that particular venturi.

Comes with two sizes of holes for mixing air. The small didn't do enough soot reduction for me, so I went to the large in the end

robcc

I built mine yet I've noticed the fire height seems to surge every minute or so. I'm wondering if the $22 adjustable 0-22 psi regulator is too cheap. Any suggestions to solve this surging issue. Are there better quality adjustable regulators out there?

YetiX

Digging this thread. I was going to buy one of the $150 ones of Amazon but since I have a few ammo cans lying around I'm going to make one of these instead!

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
c6d1e8f674c39e2d01057b6380b3131e.jpg

8daace712070e8c4b25c69c9ee2cb5db.jpg

0c637d0a0bb9a27fa26d1a01f3b23ce2.jpg

Version 2 is complete!

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Nice job. (y) I like the feet!

Thanks man!

I’m getting a ammo can mount so I can pack up faster after turning off the fire. I’m trying to minimize the wait around factor in favor of the put miles on the road lol

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Thank you herbie, kind words and high praise indeed. Version 3 will be better!

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Version Mk 3 Mod 1
a013dcb1301e19d0e3797248b6ee4682.jpg

3e31d377354ade9768cfcfcf1e7d8ca4.jpg

Ok this is
fc264b1b61c8996c84d64805ebc04c61.jpg

A .30 cal can with stainless mesh three big holes instead of little holes

And the feet I’m waiting on a tool to install

I was so excited for the build I forgot to strip the paint like I said I would last time. Soooooo I’m burning it off post build.

Instead of a loop it’s just one straight 3/8 copper with about 8 hole in it and they are tiny like just over 1/16” tiny and that got me the cleanest burn without an air mixer. I could only find them in 1/2” so they got ******** canned.

Oh and I bought some of this flat fire brick with hole in them to sit on top of my burner protector wire cage.

It’s freaking awesome!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles