DIY/Project E350 camper vans?

JimRockford007

Im currently looking at building out a 98 E350 12ft box van . Not 4wd but should get me where I need to go.

Attachments

• IMG_0999.JPG
    IMG_0999.JPG
    714.9 KB · Views: 46

2_Chihuahuas

I've been working on my E350 camper van conversion for about 2 yrs now...I know--why so slow? I was also working full-time. I just retired June 30, and have gone into overdrive on my build work, so am almost done! (Well, it's never done, lol, but almost to where I can use it as a camper van)! ?
Would love to share ideas/tips, etc, as I started out with basic woodworking skills, and electrical knowledge from HS Physics and life experiences -- been learning as I go from forums like this one, and YouTube (TG for YouTube!). Big shout-out to FarOutRide.com (they're on this forum, as well), for their awesome van build website -- a must for anyone doing a DIY conversion!

Good luck with your build!

turbodiesel

Not the cleanest picture of my interior but might sparks some ideas. Insulated sides and roof with panel insulation and spray foam. Storage on left and below the couch. Couch goes in to bed mode by pulling out two aluminum plates from under the cushions. Two vents, one with a fan. Power via Goal Zero 1400; charged by 2 100 watt solar panels on the roof. LED lights through out on toggle switches. Fridge runs off the GZ1400, drains about 14% each night. Propane stove in the cubby on the far left. Below it is outside storage and a diesel cabin heater. Attached on the cabin side of the storage box is a fold out table. Passenger seat is on a swivel. Allows two people to easily cook and eat.
67940404_10104695942585554_2564520677474304_o.jpg

Mxkutch

Observer
We built our 7.3psd. We picked up a cargo van at a transmission shop in NY that wasn’t beat up to bad. I shopped all over to find a reasonably priced 7.3 with low miles that wouldn’t cost me an arm and a leg. They are out there if you look.

Put a hightop on it and painted the inside and out with monstaliner. We then dropped it off with Chris at Ujoint Offroad and had them convert it to 4x4. Our biggest expense but well worth it. I would do it again in a heartbeat because not only does the van perform off-road better than expected for a large heavy vehicle, it drives so much better than stock on road. Plus they have better customer service than any shop in any profession I have ever encountered.

Then built the interior with cabinets, a fridge, 3 burner propane stove and oven, sink with electric pump and 27 gallon water capacity, 200w solar, a queen sized bed (minus 5 inches of width), dining table and composting toilet.

We have lived out of it twice for 3 months at a time, with my wife and I and our two dogs, and most recently our infant son. First driving to Alaska and then a long trip up the west coast.

We saved quite a bit by doing homebuilt over SMB but more importantly we were able to design it exactly how we wanted it, and then cheaply and easily redesign it once our son was born. Another plus is the ability to fix any problems that arise on it, which will inevitably happen on long duration trips.

We have tons of lessons learned if you are curious. We haven’t posted a ton of our build on here but posted a bit on IG @the_Vanabonds. Even though I haven’t posted anything van related in a while.

Good luck on your journey, although frustrating at times, it’s so fulfilling

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke