DIY/Project E350 camper vans?

zuren

Adventurer
I am curious to know if anyone here has built their own camper/expo type vehicle out of a Ford E350 cargo van?

I've been lurking and posting a little mostly focused on 3/4 ton diesel pickups but I have always drooled over the diesel Sportsmobile 4x4 vans. :drool: The issue with a SMB is that there is no way I can afford or justify a $60k+ vehicle. However, I've been noticing that used Ford cargo E350s with a 7.3L or 6.0L Powerstroke can be found for not a ton of money ($7,000-15,000). I wouldn't need a fully loaded Sportsmobile design, just somewhere to transport up to 4 adults and sleep 2, maybe small cooktop, small fridge, furnace/heater, a rear locking diff. and the ability to haul some gear in something that gets okay mileage. I grew up going camping and doing road trips in a 1979 Dodge conversion van and regret letting my dad get rid of it. It would have been a good project vehicle as a weekend camping, hunting, fishing, occasional towing rig (the primary functions I'm planning). The issue was it's 10 MPG average with a 360 c.i. V8 and $3/gal. fuel prices.

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone has done what I'm thinking and can comment on their experience and/or share pictures? I've seen some nice E350 ambulance builds. I'm considering a pickup with a cap as well and trying to weigh the pros and cons of each.

Thanks!

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
also check out www.sportsmobileforum.com as a place to see DIY projects.
Great people here & there, lots of ideas and killer connections.

Personally I love my Sportsmobile and it has been worth every penny...but then again I am pretty worthless at building things myself.

ihatemybike

Explorer
If you don't need the space of a full size van, consider an AWD version of the Astro/Safari. The AWD helps in slippery conditions, works all the time (no thinking about it), is only a minor mpg hit (Grumpy does just over 19 mpg with my Chicagoland commute) and is fairly easy to convert to true 4x4 if you feel the need.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Lance is correct, the SMB forum has a few threads on really nice homebrew interior jobs. I've certainly stolen some ideas!

zuren

Adventurer
also check out www.sportsmobileforum.com as a place to see DIY projects.
Great people here & there, lots of ideas and killer connections.

Personally I love my Sportsmobile and it has been worth every penny...but then again I am pretty worthless at building things myself.

Thanks for the link! That is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for!

Like I said, I would love to have a Sportsmobile but I just can't swing that kind of cash for something that would see only a little bit of use at this point in my life. A platform that I could build out over time may be my best choice at the moment. Plus, most Sportsmobiles are located in states other than where I live and the state of MA makes it a royal pain to try to buy something and bring it back.

A smaller van is an option so I'm still making my list of possibilities.

Thanks!

Sandi

Hi Zuren:

Yes, we're doing exactly what you mention. We found a 2006 E-350 from a local lot, with less than 30K miles for ~ 50% of a new van cost.

We've put on a high top (just picked it up today!) and had the interior paneled. We've bought a 12V fridge, and we're about to start building a platform for our tri-fold foam futon - all bins will then be stashed under the bunk.

We also got some pop-out windows from the junkyard. We swapped out the fixed windows that came on our van, and got them tinted.

We've ordered a VanTred cushioned rubber mat for the flooring. Next up will be a house battery setup, curtains, and LED lighting.

When all is said and done, we're estimating $25K or so for a really reasonable setup, INCLUDING the cost of the van itself.

Sandi (also over on the SMB forums) :smiley_drive:

redaddiction

Observer
I'm doing a semi-homebrew sportsmobile. If you look a few threads down you can see what I've done so far to my van. I'd say look at your budget and exactly what you want in the end and plan accordingly. My list of wants is very long and the only way I figured I'd get there is to slowly build my van in a manner that was financially responsible, and also keeps it in working condition to enjoy while I slowly upgade.

For instance I first purchased the van to use for catering and trips with all the bench seats, once I got a little further I pulled the seats and installed brackets to hold my outdoor gear for the time being since I don't have aftermarket bumpers or roof rack. Once that was completed I found the top of my choice which was the penthouse top and did that. Next will be doing the 4wd conversion since it is necessary for what I want to do but I can still enjoy camping the way it's setup right now.

My suggestion would be to sit down and make a list of the exact end product you want and think it over, it took me 2-3 months to come to exactly my plan of action but it will save in the long run. Good luck with your choice and be sure to utilize the resources here and at the sportsmobile forum, there are a lot of good guys who are willing to answer any of your questions including myself.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
My suggestion would be to sit down and make a list of the exact end product you want and think it over, it took me 2-3 months to come to exactly my plan of action but it will save in the long run..

Exactly what i did. I decided to do my van build in phases. Each phase had it's own spread sheet complete with items, prices, links, etc.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Zuren,
I can help source and sell the parts for your homebrew. My website is new and I am constantly working on it but I can sell you everything from propane tanks to windows to build your van the way you want it. Shop around and get some prices then give me a call. Some day our web site will be set to cater to the folks that want to build their own rigs and you can e-shop. In the mean time I am going old fashioned and you will have to call me to see what I have to offer.
Derek

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
I am curious to know if anyone here has built their own camper/expo type vehicle out of a Ford E350 cargo van?

I've been lurking and posting a little mostly focused on 3/4 ton diesel pickups but I have always drooled over the diesel Sportsmobile 4x4 vans. :drool: The issue with a SMB is that there is no way I can afford or justify a $60k+ vehicle. However, I've been noticing that used Ford cargo E350s with a 7.3L or 6.0L Powerstroke can be found for not a ton of money ($7,000-15,000). I wouldn't need a fully loaded Sportsmobile design, just somewhere to transport up to 4 adults and sleep 2, maybe small cooktop, small fridge, furnace/heater, a rear locking diff. and the ability to haul some gear in something that gets okay mileage. I grew up going camping and doing road trips in a 1979 Dodge conversion van and regret letting my dad get rid of it. It would have been a good project vehicle as a weekend camping, hunting, fishing, occasional towing rig (the primary functions I'm planning). The issue was it's 10 MPG average with a 360 c.i. V8 and $3/gal. fuel prices.

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone has done what I'm thinking and can comment on their experience and/or share pictures? I've seen some nice E350 ambulance builds. I'm considering a pickup with a cap as well and trying to weigh the pros and cons of each.

Thanks!

I have mostly lived in an `70 E300 for the last 12 years (really I'm on my second one). Both have gotten builds, but neither one was photo doc'd. It is a 4x2 w/ BFG's and I take it most everywhere. The inside is low tech, w/ 10 gal of water, propane 2 burner, cooler, sleeping pallet (that has fit 2 many times), under bed storage, storage behind the wheel wells & under the same level as the bed, solar panels, etc.
07-03-07_07.jpg 07-03-18_16.jpg 07-06-09_09.jpg

Now remember, none of these photos were taken for this purpose or in it's finished state!
I would like to make it 4x4 one day, add a 3/4 length roof rack, and such.

Have also been building this `92 E350, w/ 7.3 Diesel, metro-bus into a handicap access camper "Free Wheelin'" 09-11-09_64.JPG 10-04-14_39.JPG 10-04-14_41.JPG

I sure like those E350's :sombrero:

Last edited:

Meekerfam

Observer
86 E350 conversion van rebuilt

We bought this van back in January. Started as a base conversion van. did a 2" Lift and bigger wheels and tires. I have rebuilt the interior twice now and am happy with how it is Played out.

staceys2.jpg

IMG_0053-1.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

Meekerfam

Observer
there is no drain in the Sink. Is just a tub that sits in the cut out. I have 3 and rotate them as I need. (walmart tub 79¢ each) sink faucet from RV/ Boat suppler is hand pump no electrical her sink. Only electrical is 2 power strip one for fans one for a small tv/Dvd player. and and a single outlet in front for laptop AC plug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz