DIY Pop Up Box Camper

plh

Explorer
what are the panels made from under the mattress that span the support structure?

Kayaktime

The panels holding up the mattress? Those are 3/4 plywood. There are two of them, the one that stays over the cab of the truck isn't totally necessary, but it was easier in the end to get the bed to be level.

loudboy

Observer
The overhang section is stiff and strong enough to support the weight of two people without any sort of boxing framework? I'd be afraid of that crumpling. How thick is the aluminum?

plh

Explorer
The panels holding up the mattress? Those are 3/4 plywood. There are two of them, the one that stays over the cab of the truck isn't totally necessary, but it was easier in the end to get the bed to be level.

3/4" ? no other support across the open span?

Kayaktime

The overhang section is stiff and strong enough to support the weight of two people without any sort of boxing framework? I'd be afraid of that crumpling. How thick is the aluminum?

Yep. It is ridiculous how strong it is. it's 1/8" aluminum. I attached a picture to show the cross section of the main support (It's not very detailed, just a quick and dirty diagram). The triangle tube is made up of the outside sheet, and an inside sheet. The triangle runs the length of the camper, My guess is it could hold about 500 Lbs.

3/4" ? no other support across the open span?

Sorry, I left out the part about the aluminum spanning the distance. Hopefully the drawing below explains a bit better.

jwiereng

thanks for sharing you unique build. It appears you have some kind of a skirt/flap thing at the bottom of the fabric. Could you show some close up photos or diagrams how that works?

Do you have a seal to keep weather out while driving?

SquirrelZ

Awesome build- thanks for sharing it!

I had to chuckle that you're switching to a van. I'm doing just the opposite- going from a camper van to a Taco for better off road capability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles