DIY overland flatbed

LKITO

Need some help on a DIY flatbed build. Please. The Norweld/other Aussie imports and the custom flatbeds are way out of my price range. Does anyone have any basic plans or are there other forum members that have shared their builds? Seems to me getting the angles right on those side toolboxes are the toughest part to get the look right. Many thanks!

Inline6

Adventurer
Mine is literally a 7x8 rectangle.

nNDMI10.jpg

just a bunch of 2.5 inch 120 wall tube.
GwLcFpj.jpg

I did do .25 wall for the tubes that attach to the frame.

Could of been totally flat, but wanted a lower bed so made mine with wheel well arches.
npWERFy.jpg

still a few more things to figure out, but became super functional right away.
zyYZ6dr.jpg

Trestle

You might consider a hybrid. Purchasing an off the shelf aluminum unit from a more main stream agricultural company such as CM or many others.

Then add the lower boxes from someone like SET at a later date. You can buy them one at a time, and there are different size options. See fenders or tool boxes in this link: https://setoverland.com/tray-accessories/

I purchased a full system from them, but noticed this option when doing so.

If you went with front and rear tool boxes, you could probably omit the fenders and have a near same effect. If your bet is short, then you'd probably only need the rear boxes anyway.

I have not seen plans for aluminum boxes, but there are plans for sale online, with video step by step instruction to support them, if you want to go that route. I don't think the aesthetic is quite the same as overland, but could be modified if going steel. Here is one such company: https://ddfab.co/gallery/. No affiliation with them, just bumped into them when doing research many moons ago.

FWIW

ITTOG

With that squat I would question how functional/safe it is. Are you going to get airbags or add leaf's.

Inline6

Adventurer
With that squat I would question how functional/safe it is. Are you going to get airbags or add leaf's.
that squat is because of the angle of the driveway, not how it looks in normal gong down the road mode. I will say that I also have the fenders set up for about 1 inch of clearance at full stuff or so. No where near that in the pic.

But, yes I do have airbags as well, Carli bags to be specific.

Nickfj40

I started mine a couple weeks ago, I added a B&W flip over gooseneck kit just because. My plan is to add boxes on the side and under body for camp/overland gear. I have an 87 Lance (300 I think), it’s an 8 footer.

The truck is a 93 F350 (it was a 460 gasser) all stock suspension with a 12v conversion and 5 speed manual out of a Super Duty. Once the flatbed is done, I’ll start improving suspension. I also added a 35 gal Super Duty fuel tank.

If you would like details, I have measurements. I basically built it on the truck, the inside is all 1/4” wall, 2x2, 2x3 and some 2x4. It’s still a work in progress.

1685412353683.jpeg

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94