DIY Over-Cab Camper build help...Not an in-progress build (YET)

mobile007

@teelong83 Any new ideas or direction as to how you'll be approaching your DIY over cab camper build based on some of the great ideas and feedback that have thus far been given?

rruff

Explorer
Not really, but here is a blog of another similar construction build by a friend 12 years ago. That vehicle has been from Australia to Scotland and back.
2010-06-27 (epicycles.com)

" The body is made of polyurethane foam fibreglass sandwich. The floor and roof are wood batten reinforced 50mm. Walls 25mm. "

Does yours have wood batten reinforcement? I did that as well when I used cheap XPS in the core, and I think it's a good idea... not so important for heavy PU or PVC.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Does yours have wood batten reinforcement?
No, I used a PP honeycomb which has good compressive strength. The problem though is that the thermal insulation is poor. We do have carpet on the floor though which compensates a little.
The new build will have a PET foam core (just in the floor) which should be much better.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

ReluctantTraveler

1.5mm of fibreglass over 16mm of closed cell polyurethane foam.
17 years and counting.

And another. Driven from Australia to Scotland and back, via Mongolia, Russia, Tibet, India.....

Both are DIY builds.
There is no better material to build expedition vehicles, in my view.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

hey, just curious: are your cabinets and such glued to the walls/floor, or attached in some other way.

still trying to wrap my head around composite constructions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior