DIY On-board Welder

WSS

Rock Stacker
I should add, be careful when welding overhead or when a splash can hit you. Burns flat suck. Starting fires does too. Have a fire extinguisher on hand and some water and a shovel BEFORE you strike an arc. Watch when welding close to heat sensitive stuff, wrap in a water soaked towel to stop heat chasing. Use your senses, do you smell gas? Do you see any liquids? Any greasy dirt? Automatic trans fluid has a fairly low flash point, well not as low as gasoline. Go slow. think it through.

Paint will burn, can you get rid of it? Maybe a little emory cloth/sandpaper or a wire brush. If you have air, a little die grinder and a flap wheel cleans paint fast. A flap wheel on a cordless drill or driver works too.

WSS

Rock Stacker
I would suggest a readywelder if you know nothing about welding. Stick is an art, fluxcore wire welding is easier to master in a pinch. Either way, my suggestion is that you practice with whatever you end up with BEFORE you need it. Also suggest carrying bits of scrap to gusset and band aid your repairs. A way to cut the pieces is helpful too. My new favorite (since my first post in this thread in 2016) is a cordless grinder with four different types of wheels. Slitting, grinding, flap and carbibe toothed for wood.

WSS

Rock Stacker
Note that the Readywelder can not be used with LiFePO4 batteries, according to the advice I received from the company.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

I would agree, I cannot even jump another car with a full one, the BMS shuts it down. AGM's work great though.

Cool repair you did to the spring/shock plate!!

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I would agree, I cannot even jump another car with a full one, the BMS shuts it down. AGM's work great though.
Cool repair you did to the spring/shock plate!!
I understood it is the high discharge rate that Li provides that is the problem, but the particular BMS may also be an issue.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

WSS

Rock Stacker
I understood it is the high discharge rate that Li provides that is the problem, but the particular BMS may also be an issue.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
Regarding the high discharge, With the premier power (stick) it might be a problem. With the readywelder (wire) it should not be. The stick works on constant current (CC) and the wire works on constant voltage (CV). I have not tried stick yet, so I cannot say for sure this is true using batteries. Our shop runs both CC and CV, we do mig and tig. Mostly mig.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Be good to hear from someone using a Readywelder 2 via lithium because that is what I will be fitting to our new build. Otherwise I will probably need to buy a small inverter stick welder and run it from the inverter.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles