DIY Offroad trailer build

michalakmj

Having done some repair on a fiberglass boat, I might suggest using a marine penetrating epoxy sealer on your new plywood. Especially the edges. That will help stop the wood from absorbing water and affecting your topcoat.

Your cooler slide looks good. I’d like to build something just like that.

Spear0

Having done some repair on a fiberglass boat, I might suggest using a marine penetrating epoxy sealer on your new plywood. Especially the edges. That will help stop the wood from absorbing water and affecting your topcoat.

Your cooler slide looks good. I’d like to build something just like that.
Thanks for the advise, I’ve put off painting to finish the build and figure it out. From your input and a couple of others I’ve determined it necessary to use some sort of epoxy. Now I’m trying to figure out what is the most economical way to get it done and quantity needed. This thing has already gotten up there in cost!

Spear0

Big update!! Went to check out some 14ga metal plate some guy posted on marketplace to fabricate the fenders out of. Turns out he had a a ton of different plates that he wanted to get rid of and made me a hell of a deal. I got 2 4x8 sheets of 12 ga for the roof and floor, and 6 4x4 ish sheets of 14ga for the walls and fenders for $150! He also offered for me to come back and get more for free if I’m short on any. It all has a little surface scale from sitting outside but is in great shape and will get blasted before I start fabricating. I’m so excited as this was the original intent of the project to have metal skin but costs from the mill were ridiculous so went to plywood. 839681D0-5127-4E52-BBD5-21704F2229FA.jpeg

Spear0

trailer skinned1.jpgtrailer skinned.jpgtrailer skinned2.jpg

Made some great progress last few weeks.

Next frame the rear door.
Run electrical for lights and brakes.
Paint POR 15 then Monsta Liner. Plan is to roll on POR 15 and brush hard to reach areas of the exterior, then follow up spraying on the monsta liner.
Align wheels. Need to round up some help with this.
waiting on fixed mounted drop leg jack for the tongue that will allow me to move it outside to paint. it will give me more clearance underneath to make painting easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier