DIY GPS project

lgrt

Adventurer
Decided I needed a little tech project to get lost in. Out of mostly free stuff built my mobile GPS tracking system to take on the road.

Check out DIY Mobile GPS System for the write up on what we used and how it came together.

Hope it helps and appreciate any feedback.

brained

Adventurer
Having used Ubuntu/Mint as my families primary desktop and Debian as my GIS/meteorological workstation for the past couple years I find your setup to be pretty darn awesome. One of these days here soon I'm going to snag an old Compaq TC1000 and mount behind the dash for just this purpose.

lgrt

Adventurer
@brained Thank you. I would have loved to have come up with an old tablet PC to integrate it like you plan... That will be very cool. Good luck with your mod and snagging a TC1000.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Did a similar thing in mine. You'd be amazed how much software can be head for free or for very very cheap.

-Sam

lgrt

Adventurer
@AxeAngel you gotta love open source... and so much of it is really good quality software.

@dragogt hope it helps.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Decided I needed a little tech project to get lost in. Out of mostly free stuff built my mobile GPS tracking system to take on the road.

Check out DIY Mobile GPS System for the write up on what we used and how it came together.

I read your blog post. tangoGPS looks like a nifty open source application. I like how it allows one to switch to different map overlays easily. This in comparison to multitasking multiple GPS applications to get different views (satellite, topo, other map sources).

I'm still a map and compass person and haven't entered the GPS era yet, but the laptop + GPS puck looks like a reasonable way to enter without spending big bucks on a stand alone GPS which may have less features than the laptop + GPS puck combination. The minor hassle I see is dealing with the bulk in that the laptop takes up some of the front passenger space.

Anyone using a tablet type system?

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
@AxeAngel you gotta love open source... and so much of it is really good quality software.

@dragogt hope it helps.

Agreed, I'm running 4 software programs and one com port simulator. Only paid for delorme topo. The other delorme, garmin and independent software was all free.

Lose the instant gratification fixation and with a week f searching you can have a rock solid setup for cheap.

I have a source for cheap globalsat bu-353s too. If anyone is Interested.
-Sam

zjrog

Observer
So far, no joy with my Delorme LT20 bug receiver and TangoGPS. But I agree that finding what you want to work with what you have just takes some time. Love Open Source. I am also looking for something to work with a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx in Ubuntu.

I had originally looked at using my Delorme bug with an ARM processor netbook. It was cheap and won't work for my needs. Bu tit is still a decent tool for email on the fly.

camit34

Observer
This is very cool...I just inherited a little netbook and wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it...looks like I found out what...! Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior