DIY Extruded Aluminum.....where to buy?

outdoornate65

Adventurer
I'm looking at framing options for a future van build-out. Considering alum but I do not weld.

I've seen some cool extruded alum stuff avail with fittings so the DIY knucklehead can build his own projects.

Can't seem to locate the info again......you guys have websites you could point me too?

Any advice on what does/doesn't work on Sprinters/Transits would be appreciated as well.

Any help is appreciated....

Nate

southpier

Expedition Leader
No kidding. I've got decent woodworking skills so will prob go that route.

Just exploring options.

the local Big Box store usually has a selection of aluminum flats & angles up to 8'0". that's gotten me by a few times. also, don't overlook Simpson Strongties as an option https://www.strongtie.com/ . heavier than aluminum, maybe, but you probably will only use a few in specific spots. and how cool would your rig look representin'? http://r1.forconstructionpros.com/f.../05/320w/simpson-strong-tie-logo_10721260.jpg they probably even have hats & Tshirts!

if you're at the design stage, you can always mix 'n' match with the "high priced spread" components.

like anything, sometimes we get caught up in our own thinking and don't see the possibilities around as we descend into the abyss.

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
Al-reco in Henderson should have anything you're looking for. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to look around, they have all kinds of crazy stuff.

WUzombies

Adventurer
I'm looking at framing options for a future van build-out. Considering alum but I do not weld.

Depending on your build plans it may be worth learning to weld, even if you end up not going with aluminum.

The latest rear deck/slideout/storage solution I built was originally going to be 80/20, I drew out a basic design, figured what fasteners I needed, etc. Then I priced the build and made it all out of 1x1 steel square tube for a significant savings. The little extra weight was worth the hundreds of dollars of difference to me.

Corneilius

Adventurer
I used 8020 on components that were highly visible (because it looks cool) and that I might want to reconfigure in the future. So my sink cabinet ended up 8020 but on my bed frame I used .090 wall 1" steel square tube. My bed frame is very light but was also easy to build and cheap, and my sink cabinet will be easy to tweak/ revisit in the future. If I was planning a build of mostly extruded aluminum I would make sure I had CNC access because being able to quickly and easily make connectors becomes a game changer.

southpier

Expedition Leader
only because I was just at the store and was reminded it existed, is the "contractor's friend" = unistrut. http://www.unistrut.us/

a little down 'n' dirty for us sofisticaded (sic) hexplorers, but in the hidden spots it would certainly provide a utilitarian solution.

I also never realized unistrut has fiberglass components, so there's that, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles