DIY Expedition Vehicle Built in Garage from the Frame Up

AndrewMuse

All right let me be constructive while I'm being a hater (who gonna hate).

To a certain demographic of the world that's tired of lies we see a title that claims one thing and a thread that delivers less than that. That turns us off. It's not a bad thing to be tired of clickbait.

Constructively you could practice forthright statements about what is going on and that would more effectively reach my demographic if mine is a demographic you care to reach. Otherwise I'm sure that having the blonde partner and medium sized dog will surely work in your favor on instagram, especially if you make them both stand on top of the vehicle for photographs despite how nobody actually has any non-instagram reason to pose on top of vehicles during the golden hour.

The part of that truck you actually built does look cool, anyway.

(y)

AndrewMuse

It's not like they bolted a generic cargo box onto a pickup and called it good, but I get it.

@AndrewMuse, I know you're pretty new to this forum, so I'll mention that you can change the thread title if you wish. A more accurate title might be "DIY Ford F-550 Based Expedition Vehicle Project", or something similar. Once F-550 is in the title, it's clear that this isn't going to be a one-off, custom framed & skinned beast, which I could see the current title suggesting. I think that's what @Shovel was getting at, and he has a point.

I agree that it turned out looking great. I hope it holds up to whatever you throw at it. I'm particularly interested in your power systems, so please continue posting updates.

I totally appreciate the feedback! I don't feel like my title is at all clickbait or misleading. There's always one... lol.

Awesome, I've started editing the build content and I'll be posting here in the next few weeks.

Thanks again!

ExpoMike

Don't let those people who think you are "misleading them" get to you. There is NO ONE here that has built a vehicle that did not start with a manufactured vehicle as the bases. I'll check out your links but sounds like you have a nice build going. Thanks for sharing.

ExpoMike

Well since you capitalized "NO ONE" I guess that makes it serious. One problem though. :ROFLMAO:

I assumed he must have cast his own engine block, machined all of the parts in it. Made his own axles, wheels, tires... oh and about everything else you need to make a vehicle run? No.... oh maybe he started with a production vehicle parts which clearly means he did not build it ALL himself. Quit being an ****** about some words. I have build a car from scratch (meaning it did not exist beforehand) and used junkyard and spare parts to build it... oh I actually did it twice. A '23 and '27 Model T roadster hotrod. Other than a bunch of spare/old/used parts and a fiberglass "body", they were scratched built with no plans and just ideas of what I wanted. I could say built from the frame up, since I actually built the frame itself but I still had to use production assemblies to build the vehicle. By your standards, I guess it wasn't a frame up build....

Last edited by a moderator:

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
I don't know what y'all are so up in arms about. OP built a cool truck. I see a frame in some of his pics, insinuating that "frame up" isn't just clickbait. It's also custom. It's also ************.

Let's stop being sensitive snowflakes about semantics and continue on with the progress pics/trip reports. I for one would like to see more, and dont care that he didnt hand curate an artisanal axle assembly. Are you guys actually serious?

Carry on.

Marine

Adventurer
What a crock.... he said FRAME UP.... I got it he only built the Expedition portion. Please apologize for falling into the hater troller category of idiots. THIS is an awesome build. PERIOD !!!!

Very few couples have the guts to even start on the adventure this couple is destined for.... with the Golden.
Reminds me of Robin Lee Graham.... altho his challenge was a bit more daunting.... these kind of guts are rare today.

I agree they are destin for a hell of an adventure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior