DIY Discada "Skottle" Cooker $65.00

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
Last edited:
I bought two discs on Amazon yesterday and went with @MANUCHAO advice and ordered the same cover from Southwest just to have a quality cover. I may gift the second one to a good friend who I think will enjoy it.

I plan to pirate @krick3tt aluminum plate design on the bottom with a bit of a twist and make it from steel, have thread in bungs for the legs and see how it works on stability. I already have the Coleman burner, or maybe its a different one but not sure its packed away and I bought it a year ago or so when thought I was going to buy a Skottle. With this cheap and efficient design, I think I will save the $350 for a new stove; maybe single burner or just splurge for a lifetime purchase of a Cook Partner or Camp Chef and never look back. I like having multiple cooking options for speed and or comfort of long stays and I have room and feel these are necessity items.

Anyone suggest which burner they like the best for this set up? Is there a difference? I will run off my 1 gal tank I have mounted on the swing out with a "T-fitting" for the stove and the Bayou Burner and use the Coleman can's for backup and such.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I just received my southwest Disk cover..
It fits great and covers 99% of the Bayou disk !!!
Great purchase..
I think I will use a foldable handle as supposed to the wood handle that is provided with the cover...
Will post pics later....
EDIT pics added:

Option one I can set on a table that I already use...
I found these metric bolts with the same thread pattern and will use them as legs for this set up......
The burner does not touch the disk at all.....
1586203100056.png

Option two..
Im finding dual purpose with my Zodi Extreme shower burner with a little modification...
All I need now is three 36"/40" long legs......these are 0.50" square tubing
The metal ring makes the disk very stable and does not move in any way at all....
Already have the hose set up to run it from a bulk tank....

1586203131934.png 1586203162371.png1586203912842.png

This is the SouthWest lid... it covers all, but half inch of the disk diameter (((( PERFECT !!! )))))
This is the lid handle that I will be using.... it snaps down and up and on the previous lid would never get hot...
This should make it easier to store in the drawer........
1586203201782.png

Total so far is less than $70.....

Last edited:

trae

Adventurer
Howdy everyone. Been using this mod for a year or so now, blowing everyone away with surface area and compactness. The only shortcoming is lack of a windscreen.

Has anyone come up with a way to keep some of the heat in and protect from gusts of wind?

Looking to add a windscreen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Dynamite

I just built one of these similar to the OP. I used all tread on the legs and to attach the burner. Most of the heat is centered only about 6-7 inches in the center of the disk and the outer portion is warm but not hot.

Would a wind break be the best solution to get heat farther out or is it a matter of burner distance? I have a roughly 20” disk with a 10K btu Colmean burner.8214FA49-1D5B-4838-87D2-0A58692C1598.jpeg

brianb2

Yep. I don’t have a picture handy, but I made a windscreen from a roll of aluminum flashing from Home Depot. Cut it long enough to cover about 2/3rds the circumference of the disc. JB welded a series of small strong magnets bisecting the height. Two large black binder clips at each end. Works pretty good. I bump it occasionally, but keeps the wind off the flame.

trae

Adventurer
Yep. I don’t have a picture handy, but I made a windscreen from a roll of aluminum flashing from Home Depot. Cut it long enough to cover about 2/3rds the circumference of the disc. JB welded a series of small strong magnets bisecting the height. Two large black binder clips at each end. Works pretty good. I bump it occasionally, but keeps the wind off the flame.

Have you got any pictures?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier