DIY Composite Flatbed Camper Build

Terra Ops

Adventurer
From my camper notes:

Far infrared ceiling panels, made in WA: https://www.heatinggreen.com/product/solaray-heater/

Research Far-Infrared Heating mats from companies like Arkon in Canada and WarmUp.

I also considered embedding these in a ceiling, floor or wall to create levels or zones of heating. Depending on the heating load, battery state, plug in availability, etc., you could choose which panel(s) you wanted to activate. Due to the lack of floor space in most small campers, radiant "floor" heating does not make much sense. https://www.thermosoft.com/en-US/radiant-under-floor-heating/for-laminate-engineered-wood

Thanks for the links, now if I could only find it in 12 volt.

DzlToy

Explorer
You will have the same issues finding those in 12VDC as people who want 12VDC HVAC. The math simply does not work.

1,000W = 3412 BTU = 12 volts (nominal) at 84 AMPS!

You may find smaller IR quartz heaters, similar in nature, but the power output will be quite low. Maybe that works for you, but remember infrared heats people and things, not air or spaces. So, unless you are standing in front of an IR panel, you won't feel much.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
The IR heater will warm the space at the level of its power output/consumption, but their selling point is that you'll get more bang for your buck if they are shining right on you, especially on bare skin.

shirk

What about a small ductless mini split heat pump? More efficient use of electric. Upside of AC if / when needed and a dehumidifier.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
What about a small ductless mini split heat pump? More efficient use of electric. Upside of AC if / when needed and a dehumidifier.
I definitely need to revisit this. Looked at them a few years back but was unsure of durability for overlanding. Since then I've seen them used
more often. Just not sure of the battery bank size needed. My current 250ah lithiums will run the 12 volt ac all night, but have little left in the morning.

DzlToy

Explorer
You may struggle to find a mini split (residential or commercial) that is small enough for a small camper. The quality brands seem to stop making units about 9,000 BTU, as these are designed for room heating and cooling.

I considered this one for a camper build a few years ago, but when you look at the combined dimensions of the interior and exterior unit, implementation into a camper does not seem easy.

DzlToy

Explorer
I did not view the entire video, but I did stumble across this a few days ago and had placed it in queue. The system seems to be massive overkill and Tim's mounting solution is quite impractical, IMO.

shirk

Something like one of these could be set up to heat and cool.

Actually you could have one of these set up that would heat, cool, heat a small hot water calorifier and dehumidify.

Running native on DC will draw much lower power.

Here is a marine system showing the power difference on a 12,000 btu system between ac and dc.

I am in the research phase for my own build and I'd like to go full electric with no fuels to burn. My main need is as a weekender so I only need battery power to cover two nights in primary winter use (mobile ski cabin).

shirk

Some digging around and it looks like DC variable speed compressors are available that could be used to re-fit a unit. A small camper would only need around 6000 btu unit so one of the portable single room units could also be hacked.

DzlToy

Explorer
This is NOT air conditioning, but if you stay out of extreme temperatures, insulate your van well and stay in drier climates, it could be an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94