DIY Composite Camper T100 Expedition Vehicle Build

Look forward to watching this build! I love all toyotas equally, but really never understood the t100 hate. The 3.4 is an awesome engine!

Will you be doing anything to help support the extra load? I wonder if the FROR full float kit will fit that axle.
The plan is to build the camper, load it up, and see how heavy she is. The goal is to stay under GVWR, but its going to be close when packed for a longer trip with full water tanks, pantry, and all the toys. Upgrading the shocks is going to happen for sure, but depending on how much she weighs and how she rides I could go with new leaf springs and torsion bars.
Doing a full floater and guesting the rear axle is not a bad idea, but not something I've looked into at all.

b dkw1

Observer
An axle out of and older Chevy fullsize would be similar in width and let you keep the same lug pattern. Then a set of airbags and you are set.

Edit: a newer Tundra axle is beefy and only a little wider. The extra width might come in handy for the camper, give you a little extra room.

FlyingBasset

Wow, just saw your new video about this a few days ago and didn't even know you post on here.

I always figured you would upgrade your previous build and am glad to see it finally happening.

Funny because I have a 2000 Tundra I'm looking into building a hard sided pop up for as well, so very interested to see what you end up with.

This build, while way overkill for me, had some really good ideas if you haven't seen it. Especially liked the overhead surfboard storage:

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

rruff

Explorer
Edit: a newer Tundra axle is beefy and only a little wider.

On the Tundra the bolt pattern will be different and it still isn't a full floater. If the Chevy is, that would be pretty nice. But honestly I think he'll be fine. I couldn't find what the axle rating is but he's near 2,000 lbs for payload.

Wow, just saw your new video about this a few days ago and didn't even know you post on here.

I always figured you would upgrade your previous build and am glad to see it finally happening.

Funny because I have a 2000 Tundra I'm looking into building a hard sided pop up for as well, so very interested to see what you end up with.

This build, while way overkill for me, had some really good ideas if you haven't seen it. Especially liked the overhead surfboard storage:

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks. Glad you've enjoyed the videos.

We actually got to checkout that F550 in person a few years back when we were working Overland EXPO west. It's a very nicely done build, but definitely bigger and pricier than my goals. Can always try to learn something though.

2000 Tundra is a pretty awesome build platform. Obviously I like this size of truck and that extra power would sure be nice.

An axle out of and older Chevy fullsize would be similar in width and let you keep the same lug pattern. Then a set of airbags and you are set.

Edit: a newer Tundra axle is beefy and only a little wider. The extra width might come in handy for the camper, give you a little extra room.
I don't really expect to have any issues with the rear axle, so not planning on switching it out unless it starts chewing up bearings or I bend the housing or something that tells me I'm asking too much of it.

I like the idea of airbags for an adjustable ride, but don't think I'll ever buy them. My only experience owning them was a set that came on a used truck and they limited the down travel noticeably. The couple of people I've known to try them off pavement described them as "bouncy". Bouncy is better than slamming because you have too much weight in the truck, but not the controlled feeling you want from your suspension.

I do, unfortunately expect the truck to end up heavy in the rear, but my current inclination is to attempt to remedy that with a junkyard add-a-leaf or maybe an all new leaf pack if I'm feeling spendy.

Google search for daystar airbag cradles. They will solve the down travel issues. I think airbags help with load but often times people over fill them and they get too bouncy. That or they forego getting proper rear springs and just add airbags. If you're constantly varying your loads with fuel and water weight they are awesome

b dkw1

Observer
That^^^^^^^^

I have a T100 axle sitting on the side of the shop. I got it to replace the giant POS in the GF's Colorado. While it has a better bearing set-up, they are not all that big.

The only reason i brought up your rear axle, was that as far as i know, the t100 axle is just a widened pickup rear. Those pickup axle shafts were known to snap on the early toyota campers.

A chevy semi float 14 bolt would be a slight upgrade, or a landcruiser ff axle.

But if you keep the weight within reason you may not have any problems - some of those old toyota campers were HEAVY.

Reactions: plh
The only reason i brought up your rear axle, was that as far as i know, the t100 axle is just a widened pickup rear. Those pickup axle shafts were known to snap on the early toyota campers.

A chevy semi float 14 bolt would be a slight upgrade, or a landcruiser ff axle.

But if you keep the weight within reason you may not have any problems - some of those old toyota campers were HEAVY.
Interesting.

The front end on the T100 is the same as the pre-1995 pickups but with longer axle shafts.

I'm no expert, but I think all T100s came with the "Toyota 8.4" axle in the rear. Same as the early Tundra and Sequoias and Tacomas without the factory locker. I know the differential arrangement is supposed to be stronger than the ones in the pre-1995 trucks. I'm not sure about the axle shafts though.

I don't have any idea what they were putting in the various campers.

RJ Howell

Awaiting your design (or ideas) on your lifting system. Hardside are some of the toughest to get right (from what I've seen attempted DIY). So far the old Popup Camper cable system has been the goto. I didn't like it and wanted something simple. I see these folding side builds, yet that really reduces window placement/size, yet makes a simple lift. Front/rear fold up after sides. The one you mentioned to me, I had seen before my build and felt it was a bit complex and looked like it would hang-up/pinch during lift.. I did try to speak with them and they never did respond. I follow a build that they used air pressure for the lift. Nice idea, yet he never did get it balanced out...
My roof is just XPS 1.5 foam (FG over), so very lite! I do need to add some structure or remember not to leave it out in a snow storm without placing a brace or two. I had a very close call!

I found the Aussie's have been doing these types of lifts for quite some time now and pretty good at it. I researched several designs of theirs and the simplest always caught my eye.

It will be interesting and fun to what how you proceed!

rruff

Explorer
My roof is just XPS 1.5 foam (FG over), so very lite!

Checked out your build link on tnttt, very nice!

No framing on the top? What weight/thickness of FG did you use, and are you happy with the durability? Were the sides done in FG also, or canvas+glue?

RJ Howell

Checked out your build link on tnttt, very nice!

No framing on the top? What weight/thickness of FG did you use, and are you happy with the durability? Were the sides done in FG also, or canvas+glue?

No framing on the top and 2.5oz FG on everything. As a mention above, strong enough for most weather, except snow & ice. Then I have to add a couple braces. It's typically in my garage using those storms..
I don't like how the foam inserted in the steel cage worked out and would have been cleaner if I had gone PMF. Next build I will go 6oz FG or PMF on the sides and something like 4oz on the roof. Probably will build some sort of lite frame for the roof as well as I would like to through some toys up there.

Really looking forward to how Matt tackles his roof!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz