DIY Bundutec awning

TrekboxX

Supporting Sponsor - TrekboxX
Very well done! I actually have been meaning to build one myself. It's a great design. I think the Bundutec's are actually a very good value, but my design is "supercharged" a bit, so I was going to have a go at it. Good job.

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Very well done! I actually have been meaning to build one myself. It's a great design. I think the Bundutec's are actually a very good value, but my design is "supercharged" a bit, so I was going to have a go at it. Good job.

Interesting, whatcha got planned for your design?

TrekboxX

Essentially it's the same basic idea, but the corners extend to create a full rectangle when viewed from above. This allows "rooms" to be attached underneath that would be considerably more spacious. The "missing" panel opposite the base would be filled with a zipped in panel. You could theoretically attach mesh walls and have a completely bug free zone 360 deg. around the vehicle. There would be slight cat cuts along the ridge and perimeter to tighten the canvas. Also, the awning would hinge down and lock on the roof rack to minimize it's height when stored. I actually made a scale model that was about 6' long to test the theory...
Attached image is sort of a brainstorm in CAD. The photo with the truck does not show the missing panel, but it would essentially zip in.
awning.jpg
awning 2.jpg

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Essentially it's the same basic idea, but the corners extend to create a full rectangle when viewed from above. This allows "rooms" to be attached underneath that would be considerably more spacious. The "missing" panel opposite the base would be filled with a zipped in panel. You could theoretically attach mesh walls and have a completely bug free zone 360 deg. around the vehicle. There would be slight cat cuts along the ridge and perimeter to tighten the canvas. Also, the awning would hinge down and lock on the roof rack to minimize it's height when stored. I actually made a scale model that was about 6' long to test the theory...
Attached image is sort of a brainstorm in CAD. The photo with the truck does not show the missing panel, but it would essentially zip in.
View attachment 355333
View attachment 355334

Sweet! I like it! Are you going to be sewing the canvass material yourself? Patterning was a major pain in the ***. I used 5 Mil plastic to pattern but I would suggest that you order some Duraskim from Sailrite, trust me it will make your life easier! Cant wait to see the project begin.

TrekboxX

Yes, I would sew it myself. I have a very heavy duty compound walking foot machine, and have done quite a bit of sewing (manly stuff only, of course :)). I actually don't know if I'll ever build it. I've actually recently designed a full flip top camper trailer that might supersede the awning. It will be sort of an Adrenalin/Kimberly style with some extra goodies specific to my application. Given the nature of the camper, the awning setup will be quite different. IDK, we'll see.

What kind of material did you decide on?

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Yes, I would sew it myself. I have a very heavy duty compound walking foot machine, and have done quite a bit of sewing (manly stuff only, of course :)). I actually don't know if I'll ever build it. I've actually recently designed a full flip top camper trailer that might supersede the awning. It will be sort of an Adrenalin/Kimberly style with some extra goodies specific to my application. Given the nature of the camper, the awning setup will be quite different. IDK, we'll see.

What kind of material did you decide on?

For the Awning I'm using Surite. The pop-outs on my trailer I'm using Shelter Rite. The Surite is a lot better to work with. I look forward to seeing your builds!

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Welp, I got the frame mounted up on the trailer today. My son and I set it up there while I marked the mounting holes and added the nutserts to the areas that I could not hit a frame stub. It has four points where it bolts through 2" of 1" tubing and the rest bolt to nutserts. I am pretty confident that this thing will not come off anytime soon. I also finished the awning and added the tiedowns that will keep it on the frame. I will get ya pics of those when we put it on tomorrow. I ran out of awning track so I have to order more tonight along with some windlace for the exposed edges of the grill wind guard.

Here are a cpl pics of the bare awning up on the trailer. I wasn't able to open it fully because its to close to the house.

081.jpg

082.jpg

Tomorrow I should be able to get the awning on and attached in place. Then I will have to make the bag for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior