DIY awning. What to use for hinges?

dbhost

I may have figured it out myself but just wanted to throw this out there. I saw a video with a guy that converted an early 2000s Suburban into an overlanding rig of sorts, and he had DIYed an awesome awning using extending tent poles (which I have lots of) and 3/4" EMT tubing for the frame, and a harbor freight heavy duty poly tarp for the fabric (cheap, easily replaceable, easy to work with).

What I haven't been able to figure out though, is what on earth did he use for the hinges?

Any idea what could be used for hinges for EMT?

The Artisan

Adventurer
I may have figured it out myself but just wanted to throw this out there. I saw a video with a guy that converted an early 2000s Suburban into an overlanding rig of sorts, and he had DIYed an awesome awning using extending tent poles (which I have lots of) and 3/4" EMT tubing for the frame, and a harbor freight heavy duty poly tarp for the fabric (cheap, easily replaceable, easy to work with).

What I haven't been able to figure out though, is what on earth did he use for the hinges?

Any idea what could be used for hinges for EMT?
How about bimini hardware.
Kevin

robert

Expedition Leader
Bimini top parts are probably the easiest if you can find some to fit.

Crimp the end and drill a hole in it? Put a wooden plug with a screw eye in it? Put a wooden plug with a piece of tubing through it? Weld a piece of small diameter tubing to an end cap and secure the cap (screw/rivet/weld)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles