DIY Awning or Tent Poles

SJEEPER

Observer
Awesome ideas guys!

Mmaattppoo, this is fantastic work. What is the est setup time and how much was the total investment? thanks!

overlander

Expedition Leader
I started with my own DIY awning several years ago. took me about 20 minutes to setup an awning in camp, so I continued to improve upon it. Tarp, alu tubing, the works. 3 version later, and 2/3 the cost into it I came to the painful realization that there are many things worth doing yourself for overlanding, but awnings are not one of them...unless you are very creative and/or lucky in your design. I want a quality awning that can be opened by one person in <2 min. If I can't do that, it's a failure, as setup time is critical to family enjoyment of overlanding and the outdoors.

I have a Foxwing arriving tomorrow.

robgendreau

Explorer
Great job. Way nicer than my trailer trash setups.

I have a Sportsmobile, so when the top is up I can attach a tarp and just guy it to the ground, and do without the poles. But I've toyed with the idea of cantilevering poles from my nerf bars to support the far end of the tarp. Anyone make a setup like that?

Also, when I was using a rack I moved the vehicle end of the tarp back towards the middle of the rack. It was a bit harder to get too, but had the huge advantage of covering the side of the vehicle. Otherwise you end up with a gap that allows rain to fall at the vehicle end of your shelter, especially if it is at all angled back in that direction. I also found bungie attachments helped in the wind; the extra flex seems to relieve some of the stress on poles and guys, although YMMV. And I got some shade cloth in the same size so I could use that instead of the solid tarp; really nice in dry weather.

But eventually I ditched the rack and went even simpler and more versatile, with just the tarp and rigging, none attached permanently. I just found I needed shelter away from my vehicle too often, and needed tarps anyway. Maybe that's a van thing, dunno.

featherhawk

Was considering purchasing a nice vehicle awning (ARB, CVT, etc.) but convinced myself it would be worth trying a simple tarp setup first. I have a tarp, really just needed some adjustable poles for legs. Went to home depot hoping painters poles would be cheap. The sturdier ones were about $25 each. Thought about PVC, but too bulky for good stiffness. I decided to use electrical conduit and am pretty pleased with the results for $31 and 45 minutes of my time.

Materials:
2 5' pieces of 3/4" conduit (cut down and debured from 10' length)
2 2.5' pieces of 1/2" conduit (cut down and debured from 10' length)
2 1.5" 1/4"-20 stainless screws
2 1/4"-20 stainless nylock nuts
2 1/4"-20 stainless wingnuts
4 1/4" stainless washers
2 1/4"x1.25" hitch pins
4 3/4" rubber leg tips
2 1/2" rubber leg tips

1. Drilled 1/4" holes straight through the 3/4" tube about 2" from the one end
2. Drilled 1/4" holes through the 1/2" tube every 6" from the end
3. Press 2 3/4" rubber leg tips to ends of 3/4" tubes, opposite the drilled holes
4. Cut 1/2" hole in the bottom of 2 3/4" rubber leg tips using exacto knife. Cut a little less than 1/2" hole so there is some friction.
5. Press the cut 3/4" rubber leg tips onto the 3/4" tubes on the ends close to the drilled holes
6. Insert the 1/2" tube into the 3/4" tube through the rubber leg tips
7. Insert hitch pins through 1/2" and 3/4" tubes
8. Drill 1/4" hole through the 1/2" rubber leg tips
9. Assemble screw>washer>rubber>washer>nylock>wingnut
10. Press assembly onto 1/2" tube ends

These turned out quite solid. I plan to paint them black.

If I was doing it again, I would use 4' long 3/4" pieces and 3.5' long 1/2". The overall collapsed length would be shorter, slightly lighter and still plently rigid.

View attachment 213826

View attachment 213827

View attachment 213830

View attachment 213828

View attachment 213829

View attachment 213831

View attachment 213832

View attachment 213833

So I am going to do this as I need a number of these so that I can set up a DIY Privacy area (I know it will not be rain proof) surrounding the entry/exit area to the roof top tent simply for changing and late night bathroom ventures for my wife. I wanted to buy an Annex however the single annex is 400$ and is absolutely tiny, like outhouse size LOL. The double Annex is very spacious and I wanted to buy one but its 700$ LOL and I only paid 1000$ for the RTT...

So what I am planning on doing is taking a Batman Hammock tarp which I already had and placing it over the RTT fly (mine has the ladder area covered already) I will secure that with a minimum of two of these poles and then have guy ropes attach to my Montero Sport, similar to iKamper's tarp system if you have seen that.

From there I am going to box that in so to speak with three 8 x 10 Lightweight back packers tent tarps ( which I already had) on both sides and then on the end so to speak. I am not certain yet; however I suspect that I will put one of the grommets on each of the side tarps onto the pole that is holding up the Batman tarp and then each of those side tarps will taper to the ground and either get staked in the ground or done so by using guy ropes. In addition to that I will need to have a pole on each end of the side 8x10 tarps so that is 6 poles thus far. Just not sure how I will close that end off with the third 8x10 tarp but I would imagine that I could place the end tarp on the same poles that I originally used for the batman tarp and depending on how far the sides reach out maybe connect to the sides and then have it tapered to the ground. It is possible that I could utilize 2 additional poles so I am thinking of making a total of 8 (although I am not sure I will need 8

I am only 5'9", my wife is 5 feet and my boy is 8 so I am thinking of making them 6.5 feet total which would be plenty high for us so I am thinking 3.5 the 1/2, and 3 feet for the 3/4 so the collapsed size will be smaller and I can get three out of a 10 foot piece which is what they are sold in I believe.

I just picked up 10, four foot 1/2 conduits from an old-timer nearby... just have to go get some 3/4 and some rubber tips and wing nuts.

How are liking the Hitch pins? I was thinking of using wing nuts and bolts as I thought they would be a bit stronger and more secure.

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
Here’s another well written thread on the same subject.

The author has a number of DIY posts that were quite good. Too bad he no longer seems to post here

featherhawk

Here’s another well written thread on the same subject.

The author has a number of DIY posts that were quite good. Too bad he no longer seems to post here

Thanks for that, after reading that thread I went to Lowes and took a 5/16 threaded rod, a 5/16 well nut, two 5/16 self locking nuts and a 5/16 wing nut and a I/2 inch conduit with the staff members blessing.

I threaded the rod into the well nut through the larger diameter rubber end, it stuck out the smaller diameter thread about an inch. I then placed the self locking nut onto the inch of threaded pipe and snugged it up agains the well nut. I then placed the inch long threaded rod, locking nut and well nut into the 1/2 conduit, it fit snug. I then placed the other self locking nut on to the other end of the rod and snugged it up. I would then place a 5/16 washer that is larger then the grommet on the tarp, then one more washer and then a wing nut.

Seems like this will work nicely.

I am planning on buying the 3/4 conduit, threaded rod, self locking nuts and EMT 1/2 insulating bushings etc soon...

I first however need to build a ladder/ramp that I will attach my roof rack to raise and lower my Roof top tent with a lever winch so that I can load and unload it on my own, my wife and son are both not tall enough to help me...LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz