DIY Astro Van TRAILER Build, to tow behind my lifted Astro

ADDvanced

Hey Dudes,

A few years ago I built my lifted AWD Astro Van camper using a lot of resources from this website, I learned a ton, and it turned out great!

Anyway, Covid really put a damper on our adventures with it, as my partner is immunocompromised. We are now realizing that a large chunk of this country will never care about other people, so we are trying to develop a way to travel in a safe way that keeps us isolated from most indoor environments.

She initially wanted an RV, and we don't have space for that, and I have too many vehicles, so we started looking into tow behind campers. Thing is, we want to be able to use this during winter, and pop up campers won't do that... so then you have hardshells like scamps, and those are now 10 grand, and on top of that, almost everything out there is BIG, and my van is already really slow. So... I spotted an Astro Van Trailer on FB Marketplace, and it just sort of happened.

Anyway, going to be doing a video series of this build, so here is the first episode. I try to keep a pretty high standard for editing/production, hopefully some of you appreciates that about me

ADDvanced

Don't know, it's a lot. Going to be counterbalancing with a battery bank, water storage, other heavy things behind the axle, and relocating the spare to the rear doors. Also going to be building this with extremely light materials.

EMR714

I feel like if you fixed that sketchy boat trailer tongue and how it attaches to the body and went with concept “e” or “L” the project is entirely workable.

As far as managing your tongue weight, is airbag suspension an option for the towing vehicle? Back Astro is empty and you already bottom out like crazy.

ADDvanced

I feel like if you fixed that sketchy boat trailer tongue and how it attaches to the body and went with concept “e” or “L” the project is entirely workable.

As far as managing your tongue weight, is airbag suspension an option for the towing vehicle? Back Astro is empty and you already bottom out like crazy.

Yes, I can get bags, but I'm also looking at weight distributing hitches. Seems like a weight distribution hitch is a better idea than the bags? Maybe both?

ADDvanced

Anyway.... FOUND A LEAD ON A HIGH TOP in a junkyard, so I'm going to try to make it happen! Also, planning my build, lots of reading, not much to show yet.

billiebob

Maybe throw the front axle back on to carry load, treat it like a tow bar rather than trailer hitch and end up with no tongue weight.
Plus the ability to disconnect without a jack on the tongue.... even push it around

ADDvanced

Hitch has been shortened almost 2 feet, and I cut off the entire front part of the van. There is nothing to bolt a front suspension two, all that is gone.

Anyway, I'm not sure where to post this, but I am fabricating a below floor battery bank in the trailer.... but we still plan on sleeping in the van, and using the trailer as a kitchen/bathroom.

My question: Can the house batteries of the trailer POWER the van at night? I want to charge some stuff in the van, and use the fan/heater all night, and instead of installing ANOTHER house battery in the van, I had the idea of just trying to use power back off the trailer. Thoughts?

oldnslow

Observer
"My question: Can the house batteries of the trailer POWER the van at night? I want to charge some stuff in the van, and use the fan/heater all night, and instead of installing ANOTHER house battery in the van, I had the idea of just trying to use power back off the trailer. Thoughts?"

Yes you can. You will need some reasonably heavy gauge wire between the trailer and the van. Use Anderson connectors (like used on forklifts and liftgates on trucks) to make the connection.

I would recommend 6AWG wire with Anderson 50 Amp (or bigger) connectors. Like these.

ADDvanced

Alright, 6v GC batteries acquired, and most recently, I snagged a high top from a junkyard! The high top has a 'depression' with rails for a luggage rack in back, about 20X35, which is turning out to be pretty limiting. The nice thing about using this space is that nothing would stick 'up' and cause drag... but if I used the back half of hte roof, I have a total of about 45x35" or so. I'm having trouble finding anything to fit this space either. I wish there was a way to search for solar panels by dimensions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94