Diy alaskan camper style build

DzlToy

Explorer
Plascore quotes each panel as a custom job. You specify the density and thickness of the core, the size of the cells, if you want lace or scrim over the cells for laying fabric, how thick the lace is, how many layers there are, face sheet thickness and material and so on.

Example: four pound per cubic foot core, standard veil on both sides, 3/8th cell size, 0.063 aluminum on exterior and 0.047 fiberglass on interior with gelcoat finish. It is literally that specific, thus there are no off the shelf panels or stock prices. Everything is custom, other than the standard core materials, which are still quoted, but fixed in price. Rough numbers from old notes: (core material only) $100 - $150 per sheet of 4' x 8'.

No personal experience with Carbon Core. I ran when I saw a delam thread on here and talked to some guys at Expo a few years ago who had seen significant delamination and found large voids when attempting to repair that panel. I am a DIY guy, so I would never buy their panels anyway. For what quality "professionally made" panels cost, I can build panels from Nomex, carbon fiber and epoxy. It isn't rocket science. For less expensive panels, fiberglass, epoxy and Plascore stock core material with single layer veil on each side. They are obscenely strong.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
If you Google 'Slidavan' you will find a very neat and simple hard sided pop up camper whose roof lifting mechanism is the model of simplicity (as is the Slidavan itself)!

I believe the entire build - including - the steel trailer was around 660 pounds, taking off the almost 200 pounds of the trailer weight gives you a camper weighing around 460 pounds.

There are several pages of Slidavan information accessible on Google, including interviews with the designer of this exceptional little camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier