DIY A/C window unit in rear van door

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Well, first for power you didn't mention the vehicle alternator. If you are driving regularly, then you can get by without the solar. Power is only an issue when parked, and the small generator can recharge batteries.

For heat, for you, in SD in November - the Big Buddy with optional hose to standard 5g propane tank is what I would do. Ventilation is no big deal - you need fresh air anyway. I leave my windows open 1/4" always - more when it's hot out. Put the tank outside and run the hose in a window and have heat.

For me, since I have a propane tank on-board, either the Propex or maybe the Catalytic Wave. I don't need much so I want to keep the btu as low as possible. Even the 4,000 btu of the Buddy on low, or the 3,000 btu of the small Wave is too much.

I have been thinking about another way...which is a hack and so use at your own risk. :D

The Mr. Buddy Portable or Big Buddy can use a small 1lb. propane bottle. But they also sell an optional hose to connect either of those to a regular full-size propane tank.

Thus, that hose should be able to connect *any* small heater that uses a small bottle to a larger tank - so why use a Mr. Buddy which is minimum 4,000 btu?

So...maybe use the Mr. Buddy adapter hose, and connect it to maybe this heater:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-PerfecTemp-Catalytic-InstaStart-Technology/dp/B0009PURCM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1290025925&sr=1-2"]Amazon.com: Coleman SportCat PerfecTemp Catalytic Heater with InstaStart Technology: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

1 gallon of propane has 91,000 btu. So a 5g tank would have 455,000 btu. The little heater uses 1,500 btu. So a 5 gallon tank, with only that little heater connected would run for 303 hours. 303 / 24 = 12.6.

So a 5g tank with the little 1500 btu heater should run for 12 days non-stop. I get propane at the local propane distributor. They run the big delivery trucks, but they also have a pump and will fill a tank if you bring it. The price goes up and down depending. When I was there 3 weeks ago, the "yard price" was $2.06/g so it cost me $10.30 to fill the 5g tank on my camper.

$10 / 12 days = $0.83/day. Not bad.

But I don't use the heat around the clock. I use it for a couple hours in the evening to get cozy before bed, and for maybe an hour in the morning to take the chill off. So for me, that little 1,500 btu wouldn't use much propane at all. Less than my fridge which uses 640 btu/hr.

AND - no battery power.

Personally, I think a lot of people are stupid about catalytic heaters. Anyone who has slept in a vehicle (or even a good tent) in the cold knows that you don't need a catalytic heater to make condensation - that happens anyway just from breathing.

Also, the heater consumes oxygen, so, OMG! YOU CAN DIE! Well, I got news - the human body also consumes oxygen, so you can die just as easy without the heater. You CAN NOT have a perfect air-tight vehicle...you will die from CO2 buildup. Ask NASA.

You MUST have fresh air, so you gotta leave a window open a little. If you do that anyway, then the catalytic heater is not an issue.

Last edited:

stkshooter

Observer
Thank you dwh

I own the large procat coleman space heater with fan which puts out something like 3000 btu. ( Bought it about 4 yr. ago. $60 ) Don't think there is any way the smaller btu would fit my needs.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...9x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM1620002501

Interesting that people would think a 3000 btu heater will keep you warm in van although temp diff. is possibly 60 degree in winter but yet some claim a 5000 btu A/C wont cool the van enough with only a 10-30 degree diff. Once the sun goes down or parked in shade the comparison is still outside temp / humidity.

Anyway, for example I camped 10 days straight a few diff. times with lowest temps in the teens. My conversion van did not have any mods as in extra insulation or window insulation, curtains, etc. It was exactly how it came from factory as far as insulation. All windows closed and roof vent closed, I put the 3000 btu heater on high. I froze my butt off with temps in the teens.

The first time I camped like this 3 yr. ago I had towed my enclosed trailer to keep the dogs inside along with hunting gear. At 4 am when my CO alarm went off inside van I checked temp and it was something like 42 degree inside if I remember right. I opened doors to vent / fresh air. My head started trobbing and I knew it was a damn good thing I had those detectors. Yep, I had 2 because I dont trust just 1. I cracked the front windows and tried again. The 3000 btu wouldnt warm up the van. I thought this is crazy and went out to the un-insulated enclosed trl. to check on the dogs. I had thrown a movers blanket over the wire crates they were in which had been side by side. When I opened the trl. door it was warmer in there. I hurried in and closed the door behind me and flipped the movers blanket up on top of crates. Holy crap, it must have been 80+ degree under there. I pulled up a chair and threw the blanket over me along with the other side over crates and warmed right up. Guess that is what they call a 2 dog night : D

About 45 min. later after I was warm and toasty went back to the van. With the windows cracked and 3000 btu heater running for the past 1+hr. it was 30 something inside. Well, yes that is still about 20 degree diff. but no where close to heating the vehicle.

The year before when I only had 1 dog, his crate was inside van and I slept beside it. I didn't realize at the time how much heat he was giving off. but I did realize how much he farted or smelled from rolling in who knows what during the days afield. That is why they don't sleep in van any more. They now have a dog box which is not even close to being air tight or insulated and it was the same way this past winter. I opened the door and stuck my hand inside. It was fairly warm. Warmer then inside my van with windows closed. Last yr. I purchased a 0 degree sleeping bag and was fine till it was time to wake up or use porta pottie. I remember sitting there freezing my butt off thinking I'm getting too old for this crap. Next year I will have heat one way or another. I'm sure others have said this ; ) Funny thing is I said the same thing about A/C when I was laying there sweating about 1 mo. before. I now have window unit with gen. and space heater. But if I can run Mr. Heater for much less then why use gen/elec. heater.

This year I stuffed house insulation in every crack I could reach inside doors and interior. I am covering the windows with Reflectix. The floor has thin foam with carpet so it is insulated a little. It will be much better then before but I still dont think the 3000 btu can handle the diff. I tried 1500 watt. elec. space heater while plugged in last yr. and it kept the van around 75-78 degree if I remember right but the outside temp was only around low 30's so if in the teens I would assume interior temp would have been around 50-60 degree with approx 5000 btu elec. heater. Now with the extra insulation and the same 5000 btu elec. space heater, I should be pretty warm. This year is my last chance to test before the SD trip next year so I wanted to get this all worked out. I will buy the Big Buddy space heater since it has 12 volt or batt. fan option and runs 4k,9k,18k btu. This allows me to use rechargable batt. to run fan which can be recharged while driving or gen. Solar is nice but I dont have room for another 500 lb. and if you plan to run much of anything your going to need several big batt. My luck there will be the worst blizzard to hit SD since I was there in the 80's and the last thing I want is to get caught without back up elec. or heat. I know Nov. is a little early for all that but just saying you never know when there is going to be a cold snap. If FL just had temps in the 30's during end of Oct. first Nov. 2010 anything is possible.

Also I use a EZ up shade with sides for cook/eating area. I turned the dual burner stove on high and closed it up. Went back out and took care of some things and when I returned it was a little too hot inside. I had to remove some clothes. If the Big Buddy will do this so we can use the area to hang out, it will be worth buying the larger unit just in case.

This keeps my options portable and safe for indors which is an important factor. I can open windows and top vent if needed with that much btu. Don't want to waste the propane but nice to have options.

Thanks for your input. Any other suggestions now that you see what my plans and uses are ?

I would really like to hear somebody justify the cost of solar if I am wrong. I figure between covering the van roof with solar panels and needing 300 lb. of batt. inside which could be charged while driving, gen, solar but still wouldnt be enough power to keep up with 1500 watt. heater running 24/7. Plus the MPG loss from the panels and added weight. Not to mention the purchase price for everything. I am considering small solar panel to keep batt. topped off for using interior lighting off main batt. but cant see it being used for anything major.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Thanks for your input. Any other suggestions now that you see what my plans and uses are ?

Um, not offhand. That Big Buddy can crank the big btu when you need it, but still be throttled back to 4k so it should be perfect. I don't think it's really practical with a 1 lb. bottle, but with a 5g jug should be good.

Just keep in mind, that at 18k it will be a propane pig. 5g = 455k btu, so at 18k btu/hr a 5g jug would only last 25 hours.

I would really like to hear somebody justify the cost of solar if I am wrong. I figure between covering the van roof with solar panels and needing 300 lb. of batt. inside which could be charged while driving, gen, solar but still wouldnt be enough power to keep up with 1500 watt. heater running 24/7. Plus the MPG loss from the panels and added weight. Not to mention the purchase price for everything. I am considering small solar panel to keep batt. topped off for using interior lighting off main batt. but cant see it being used for anything major.

We're going even farther OT, but that never bothers me. :D

It's almost never possible to justify any solar system in regards to normal heat or a/c. Resistive heat is one of the biggest power hogs there is (though wonderfully efficient at converting watts into btus) and AC powered a/c compressors aren't any better. Heat pumps or mini-split inverter a/c or geothermal or a few hundred sq.' of PV modules can make it workable in a house, but not on an RV - there just isn't enough room on the roof.

For an RV, to get the max out of solar always comes down to how much PV can you fit on the rig? Once you have that, then you know how many watts per day you can reasonably expect to harvest. Once you know that, then you know how much battery you need to store that harvest.

And that's it. That's the power budget. Period. From that point on it's all about keeping the loads within the power budget.

A couple hundred watts of PV on the roof and a couple hundred amp*hours of battery can realistically only do so much. Run the water pump and the lights - no problem. With a fridge that has a DC compressor like a Danfoss a reasonable sized solar setup can even run the fridge. But heat? Not a chance.

A sales pitch would have us believe that 200w of pv on the roof, and 12 hours a day of Good Ol' Sol, will give us 2400w of Free! Clean! Green! Solar! Power!

No. It won't.

The math is pretty simple. Say 200w of PV on the roof. When PV modules get hot (and they do get hot since they are dark in color, under glass and facing the sun) they generally only put out 80% or so of their rated max. So 160w. On a flat mount (not angled toward the sun), figure 4 hours of full direct sun (they need direct sun on them or they put out almost nothing) per day. So figure 640 watt*hours per day of harvest. Now you gotta stick that in a battery, which itself is only 80% efficient, so now you're down to 512wh actually stored in the battery.

(Variable of course; cold PV puts out a few more watts, warm batteries are a little more efficient, your PV modules might see 5 hours/day of good sun or even 6 if you're lucky. Or it might be cloudy and you get almost nothing all day.)

So your daily power budget is about 500wh/day. You could run a 500w electric heating element for about an hour per day, or a 1500w element for 20 minutes a day. Even less, since if you run the watts from the battery though an inverter you lose some because the inverter also isn't 100% efficient.

But even so, 500wh/day is still a pretty decent power budget for lights and water pump, radio and/or small TV and even a small DC *compressor* fridge (don't even think about running a 3way fridge off batteries). You might even squeeze in a pot of coffee and a wee bit of microwave. Best if the loads are all DC, then you don't have to waste watts by running through an inverter.

It can be made a bit better by adding batteries. If you are driving a couple hours a day you can fill up more batteries than the solar alone could do. But even so, if you park for a while, those extra few hundred pounds of batteries are only going to stretch your power budget a few days. If you are on the move and only stay a couple days here and a couple days there, then extra battery capacity is worth it, but for extended stays it doesn't really make a difference since your power budget is still limited to whatever watts you can harvest with the PV.

Small inverter gens are damned useful, since the Honda, Yamaha, Kipor, Honeywell, Generac (and the very sweet new one from Champion) type units in the 80cc-125cc range (generally rated around 1600w continuous and 2000w surge) mostly all produce around 4000wh per gallon. That's 8 times the 500wh/day power budget of a 200w PV setup - on a gallon of gas a day.

Actually, the cheapo non-inverter generators in that size also produce about 4000wh/g - but they can't throttle down to save gas when the load lightens, so they are not as efficient for light and/or variable loads. For higher sustained loads (like a 1500w resistive heater) there's almost no difference in fuel efficiency between a 100cc/1600w Honda inverter gen or a 100cc/1600w lowbuck non-inverter gen.

Last edited:

stkshooter

Observer
Thanks dwh, your a wealth of info. Off Topic ? Well, it still relates to powering A/C and heater. But I do try to stay on topic or close. Nothing worse then starting to follow a 10 page topic that goes off in a completely diff. direction 4 pages into it only to find out at the end nobody answered the original Q you were looking for and now they are so far off topic nobody is following it.

Let me toss another few Q at ya. Your driving van which has battery bank of 500 ah which needs to be charged because you drained 50% of it last night. Your alternator regualator detects this so your alternator starts charging at max output for the next 5 hrs. This puts a much higher load on engine just like A/C compressor running reduces MPG. Nothing is FREE. It takes energy to produce it in one form or another. Based on the reduced fuel mileage to charge the batt. along with the extra load on alternator which could shorten it's $200 life, would you agree that is still the least expensive way to charge your batt. vs gen. or solar considering the cost of gen. and fuel.

Also, You still have the added batt. weight of 200-300 lb. which will also cost you some MPG. These small 2000 watt. gen may not run everything and if you run A/C unit there is not enough to charge batt. while A/C is running. You may not have enough remaining to run lights / electronics (parked) and would have to depend on batt. bank. Bigger, heavier gen would cost more and use more fuel but if you didnt have to buy as many batt. and haul the extra weight that would save up front cost and MPG in reduced weight. You may carry bigger gen that uses mroe fuel and not spend any more if you averaged it all out. Compare all the variables. Bigger heavier gen, smaller gen, solar, batt. bank, combined fuel use. Comes down to how much Elec. you need and for how long before you start driving like you said before. I am thinking it might be hard to justify more than 2 batt. considering all the variables.

You see where I'm going with all this ? If your living in van full time your needs are diff. vs traveling and only stopping for a few days here and there. If your taking 2-3 wk. vacation and 1 wk. here and there through out the year and weekends, then using van as daily driver the remaiining part of year. You want to keep van versatile and batt. bank may only last 4-5 yr. so you can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on batt. bank, because of the over all cost vs over all use. Gen could be loaded in van as needed and if large enough, run everything as well as charge say 1-2 batt. Some people will say it is worth the cost not to hear noisy gen but these small gen are not much louder then A/C fan. You know the power is there for as long as you need it vs batt. use is like trying to take a shower with 1 gal. of water for example and hoping you have enough to rinse off.

Most will prob. say if your only using van for 1-2 mo. per year just go with gen and be done with it. I am not living in van nor do I use it enough to justify RV type heater and power but wanted the best set up for reg. camping trips. If I am in the middle of forest where you can hear a pin drop I don't want to start gen to charge batt. but I don't want to park out in the sun to use solar panels either. I always park under trees in shade if possible and that combo doesn't work with solar panels on roof. That brings me back to charging while driving or gen. It would be a lot of work running wires and solar panels out into open sun then packing them back up again for the amount of power they would offer if only parked a couple days. Your ideas ?

The other Q I am trying to figure out is the cheapest method to heat van ? From what I understand any elec. heating method is the same because it gives you heat based on the energy used. Some people try to claim one is better than the other but based on the facts you get back only what you put in. So which method offers the most for less ? (Gen. Elec. space heater)

I have seen various propane methods of heating but propane = btu so if heater is inside with 100% of heat being released inside you get more heat vs outside forced heater. but what about the moisture you must vent out vs forced air propane heaters blowing hot air inside ? You might have to vent more because of moisture which would require more propane because of more btu needed but when you consider the cost of forced air heaters vs A Big Buddy propane heater is portable and has many uses... I just bought a reconditioned one from Cabelas with FREE shipping for $79 and cant think of any other = propane heater within that price range. It would take a lot of propane on top of that price to = some of these forced air heaters even if powering fan was not part of the equation.

So would you say based on my use a 2000 watt. gen with 2 golf cart batt. something like 250 ah and 1500 watt. inverter would be the best set up ? I could always start vehicle engine while running some of the bigger things like microwave for a few min. if I didn't want to shut down A/C or Elec. heat,etc. from gen.

Also Big Buddy I think we determined was the most cost effective heating method when not plugged into shore power, just throwing it all out there for others to read.

I was also looking for step by step install instructions for the best batt. set up. Seems there are diff. opinions on what works best based on cost and since you seem to have some back ground in that areana figured I would ask. (Best inverter and batt. brands for the money) Was considering mounting 1-2 batt. under pass. side area. But we are talking about $500+ and couple hundred pounds added weight. Geeeeez, I could almost buy another Yamaha gen for that and link them together running anything I wanted. decisions, decisions.

Thank you.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
This puts a much higher load on engine just like A/C compressor running reduces MPG. Nothing is FREE. It takes energy to produce it in one form or another. Based on the reduced fuel mileage to charge the batt. along with the extra load on alternator which could shorten it's $200 life, would you agree that is still the least expensive way to charge your batt. vs gen. or solar considering the cost of gen. and fuel.

You are still converting gasoline into watts. Using a big engine to charge batteries while just sitting in camp is going to be horribly inefficient, but if you are tooling down the highway at 60mph then adding a bit of extra load to the engine to charge batteries isn't going to make much difference.

I would guess (without doing the math) that charging the batteries while on the highway costs about the same as running a generator in terms of fuel used. As far as the life of the alternator...you could buy 5 $200 alternators for the cost of one Honda EU2000i.

So, yes I would agree that's probably the least expensive way...while on the highway. Definitely not while parked or in stop-and-go traffic.

Also, You still have the added batt. weight of 200-300 lb. which will also cost you some MPG. These small 2000 watt. gen may not run everything and if you run A/C unit there is not enough to charge batt. while A/C is running. You may not have enough remaining to run lights / electronics (parked) and would have to depend on batt. bank. Bigger, heavier gen would cost more and use more fuel but if you didnt have to buy as many batt. and haul the extra weight that would save up front cost and MPG in reduced weight. You may carry bigger gen that uses mroe fuel and not spend any more if you averaged it all out. Compare all the variables. Bigger heavier gen, smaller gen, solar, batt. bank, combined fuel use. Comes down to how much Elec. you need and for how long before you start driving like you said before. I am thinking it might be hard to justify more than 2 batt. considering all the variables.

Another thing to keep in mind when figuring the bigger gen. Inverter gens can throttle down when appropriate, regular gens can't. So a regular gen that is loaded at say...under 50% is going to be inefficient and wasting fuel.

As for battery charging and running the a/c. A charger that puts out 15a to the battery, is going to draw around 2a from the 120v of the generator. I use a 10a charger that draws 1.6a from the gen at full load, but it normally never goes over 8a to the battery. Even then, it tapers off in a few minutes to around 5a-6a and so it's normally only drawing 1a or so from the gen's 120v.

But it's a constant voltage charger, not a constant current charger. A constant current charger, like a 2-stage or 3-stage, would keep the amps up till bulk was done and thus keep the load on the gen up.

So, for trying to run a small a/c and also charge the battery, it may be better to use a constant voltage charger which is slower to charge the battery, but also draws less from the gen.

For me, it's not an issue. When I bought a generator for the camper I have now, I was already planning to use a 5k a/c -and- charge batteries, so I bought the Honeywell because it has a 125cc engine and is rated 2000w continuous. (And if anyone is wondering - is it a good gen? I think it's fine if you don't get a lemon...but there are lot of lemons.)

Most will prob. say if your only using van for 1-2 mo. per year just go with gen and be done with it. I am not living in van nor do I use it enough to justify RV type heater and power but wanted the best set up for reg. camping trips. If I am in the middle of forest where you can hear a pin drop I don't want to start gen to charge batt. but I don't want to park out in the sun to use solar panels either. I always park under trees in shade if possible and that combo doesn't work with solar panels on roof. That brings me back to charging while driving or gen. It would be a lot of work running wires and solar panels out into open sun then packing them back up again for the amount of power they would offer if only parked a couple days. Your ideas ?

For me, I don't care about the noise. I normally don't camp near other people, and in that case, running the gen doesn't bother anyone but me, and I'll tolerate the noise to get the power.

But I haven't put a/c in my camper yet, and I don't have a microwave in it. I have an 8 hour battery for my netbook and a 12v power supply for it, and I bought a low power netbook anyway that only draws 9w in power saving mode, 14w when charging the battery. My DVD player is a little one that also runs from 12v. I don't use a lot of power. If I'm not running my heater at night, I usually only run my generator every three days to recharge the battery.

I also abuse my battery. I take it down below 50% quite often. But there is a place where I can buy a decent no-name 100ah deep cycle (not rv/marine) battery for $45 so I don't mind abusing it. I can buy a dozen of those batteries for the same price as a 200w solar setup.

Myself, I camp often in the desert, and there are no trees, so putting solar on the roof is not a problem. But even with trees I don't think putting the solar panel out in the sun and running one extension cord would be so much work. 5 minutes really. Also - if you do that, you can set the solar panel to southeast in the morning, and southwest in the afternoon and harvest maybe double the watts. So I think that having movable solar panels is actually an excellent idea.

For you...

Well, you mentioned about a trailer, so you could put the batteries and solar there and only use them when you need them.

The other Q I am trying to figure out is the cheapest method to heat van ? From what I understand any elec. heating method is the same because it gives you heat based on the energy used. Some people try to claim one is better than the other but based on the facts you get back only what you put in. So which method offers the most for less ? (Gen. Elec. space heater)

Catalytic propane is very efficient, since no heat is wasted as exhaust. You can't really consider what you lose from leaving a window open a little - you have to that for fresh air no matter what, so you will lose heat from that no matter what heating system you go with.

A 1600w generator running a 1500w radiant heater is also pretty good. As you said, 5000 btu of heat. But running that on a Honda or Yamaha will be right at the max, so it won't be saving any fuel on econo. I'm not sure how long your generator runs on a gallon of gas at full load, but if you run it 24/7 you could use a few gallons a day.

The best would be the nice diesel powered Espar units. The D2 unit on high puts out 7,500 btu on 0.07g of diesel and 2.8a of 12v per hour. So 5g of diesel would last 70 hours or so and 200ah of battery would go 30 hours before it hit 50%. You could put it in a box and leave it outside and just run supply/return hoses to the van.

http://www.espar.com/html/products/airtronic2.html

But those aren't cheap - over $1000. Like you said, you can buy a lot of propane for that price.

So would you say based on my use a 2000 watt. gen with 2 golf cart batt. something like 250 ah and 1500 watt. inverter would be the best set up ? I could always start vehicle engine while running some of the bigger things like microwave for a few min. if I didn't want to shut down A/C or Elec. heat,etc. from gen.

2000w gen? Or 1600w gen? 2 golf cart batteries would be 6v ea. Trojan T105s are 225ah, so 2 in series for 12v would be 225ah. I know that sounds nit-picky, "yet there is method in't". Most people tend to over-estimate the available power. 2000w when really it's less, 250ah when really it's less.

You won't be running a/c or electric heat from the inverter/batteries - only from the gen. But you will probably run the microwave from the inverter, and that gets power from the battery, so you probably won't need to start the engine. If you are splitting the heat between electric and buddy, then you can spend some gen time for battery charging.

Do remember, a microwave's rating is the rating of the magnetron inside the machine, not not how much power the whole machine draws. A "600w" microwave usually draws > 1000w.

I was also looking for step by step install instructions for the best batt. set up. Seems there are diff. opinions on what works best based on cost and since you seem to have some back ground in that areana figured I would ask. (Best inverter and batt. brands for the money) Was considering mounting 1-2 batt. under pass. side area. But we are talking about $500+ and couple hundred pounds added weight. Geeeeez, I could almost buy another Yamaha gen for that and link them together running anything I wanted. decisions, decisions.

There are a few issues.

If you use 2x6v in series, you don't have to worry about balancing the batteries' resistance, so that's good. If you wired 2x12v in parallel, you would have to do it balanced.

Don't run positive wires and then use the vehicle frame for negative. That is fine for small amp circuits, but not for high amp batteries/chargers/inverters. You need dedicated positive -and- negative cables.

Battery to Inverter cables have to be LARGE. 1500w@12v is 125a! You need cable rated -over- 125a and a fuse to protect that cable.

To charge from the vehicle engine, don't use a diode type isolator (like you find in auto parts stores with a big heat sink) always use a "split charge relay". For an excellent document about why, look here:

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/diodes.html

Some people will say that a split-charge relay is not good, because of a big surge when the batteries are connected together. Not true. Here is the math:

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/nosurge2.html

Inside the vehicle, DO NOT use regular flooded batteries. They vent hydrogen when being charged. Use AGM which are sealed and don't vent unless you seriously overcharge them and blow the seals. I like AGM better than GEL because they aren't as finicky about voltage - they almost all use the same voltage settings as a regular flooded battery. Also usually cheaper than GEL.

3-stage charging is best if there is no load on the battery when charging, but if there is a load, it can trick the charger into thinking that the battery is low and cause it to overcharge. If you are going to charge while there is a load on the battery, better to use a 2-stage charger like Iota or Samlex. Samlex have a dip switch and can do either 2-stage or 3-stage.

If you get AGM batteries, make sure you get a charger that either does not equalize, or can have the EQ function disabled. Most AGM are not supposed to be EQ'd.

Pure Sine Wave (PSW) inverters are the best, but more expensive. Modified Square Wave (MSW) have a bad rap since PSW came out, but the truth is that 99% of everything will work fine on MSW. The 1% that won't - will usually burn out immediately. Some electronic control boards will instantly fail when connected to MSW. They are very uncommon. You won't know which one will burn out until you try it. Surprise! All electric motors will hum a little on MSW - some won't work at all. Again, those are uncommon. Better quality MSW inverters have a lot of steps in the fake sine wave. Cheap ones only have one step.

EDIT: One thing that is pretty much guaranteed to fail eventually on MSW are battery tool chargers - Ryobi, DeWalt, Makita, etc. Better to get the charger that plugs in the cigar lighter.

Power Jack products are junk. BZ solar products are junk. AIMS inverters are...well a lot of people say they are junk. Personally, I never looked at one, but I wouldn't buy one. I would buy Xantrex or Samlex.

I would not buy an inverter/charger combo, because the charger will likely be too big. Like 40a up to 100a. For 225ah of 12v battery and a 1600w gen - 15a or 30a is enough.

Iota chargers are tough and not expensive. Don't buy the smart charge module for it if you have AGM, because you can't disable the EQ (besides, they are 2-stage without the module and that's what you want when charging if there is a load).

Buy deep cycle, not "rv/marine". Deka, Concorde, Surrette, Crown or Trojan all make excellent deep cycle batteries.

Buying batteries is best done locally. They cost a lot to ship. Plus you want to check the manufacture dates before you pay. Try not to buy batteries that have been sitting on the shelf for six months.

Last edited:

stkshooter

Observer
Thanks for the informed reply. It is sometimes hard to get that much info. from people. I know how much time it takes and I thank you.

dwh "So, for trying to run a small a/c and also charge the battery, it may be better to use a constant voltage charger which is slower to charge the battery, but also draws less from the gen."

A slow charge would be the better choice and with the amp draw it would work great along with A/C running using my Yamaha 2000 gen.

dwh "I can buy a decent no-name 100ah deep cycle (not rv/marine) battery for $45"

I buy my batt. from interstate batt. find a dealer that sells factory blems. The most expensive interstate megatron batt. which fits my van has a retail of around $150 and I paid $30 because it only has a 90 day warranty and that is all I need to make sure it is not defective. Just as good with a plastic mold case defect and didnt pass inspection so they sell it as a blem. They have been doing this for over 20 yr. that I know of so it is not a secret.

dwh "The best would be the nice diesel powered Espar units."

I cant find the price of 9200 btu Espar but assume it is around $1200+ and based on it's fuel consumption at todays prices I est. the Big Buddy heater at 9000 btu vs Espar at 9200 btu would cost approx. $6 more per day to run the Big Buddy heater if running 24 hr. and with my limited use being around 30days max per year = 720 hr. which is prob. way over est. it would take me approx. 7 yr. to make up the diff. on the Espar. Plus if installed outside in box as forced air or perm. install the cost would be more. If set up as portable which could be stolen the diff. in loss is also considerable. As said before, hard to beat the economics and versatility of Big Buddy heater.

dwh "microwave's rating is the rating of the magnetron inside the machine, not not how much power the whole machine draws. A "600w" microwave usually draws > 1000w."

Yep, when I tested mine with meter it showed about 1400 watt. if I remember or something around there. It was winthin specs of my yamaha gen. But didnt leave much room if other things were running is another reason to consider batt. inverter. Always nice to have a back up too.

dwh "Battery to Inverter cables have to be LARGE. 1500w@12v is 125a! You need cable rated -over- 125a and a fuse to protect that cable."

I have # 2 gauge. which should be right for this install.
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

dwh "One thing that is pretty much guaranteed to fail eventually on MSW are battery tool chargers - Ryobi, DeWalt, Makita, etc. Better to get the charger that plugs in the cigar lighter.

FYI: For those who may not know. Dewalt batt. chargers are suppose to have a chip which allows them to use reg. gen for charging. I do have the Dewalt 12v charger too. I was reading a little about this last yr. when considering inverter and it seems most devices now days dont have a prob. I bought 12v charger for my laptop, cell, device batt. charger, etc. most items I used before buying gen. I just need a charger so gen can keep batt. topped off. yamaha gen will supply 8 amp 12 volt but I dont think it charges when using 120 vac. so if running A/C or other items which would be the main reason for running gen. it wouldnt charge batt. and to run it only for charging batt. with 8 amp vs 15-30 amp. would use more fuel because of longer run time but then again will batt. take a full fast 30 amp charge or will the charger back off to 4-8 amp. after an hr.

When you consider the total cost approaching $750 ( 2x6v batt. installed under van. will prob. end up in the $400 range then $150 for charger, fuses, cable, connectors, etc. $200+ for inverter. Now let us figure your going to charge this from gen only when running for other reasons or when driving the small savings running microwave from batt. vs starting gen for 10 min. here or there and then factor in you only have a limited amount of Ah from batt. before they need charged which will cost you fuel. The added 200 lb. of weight reduced MPG even if it is only .02. I paid $869 for my new yamaha 2000 gen Sept. 2010 and since I am only using these items when camping, will I get enough use over a 4-5 yr. period before batt. need replaced to justify the cost ? Then spend another $200 to $300 to replace batt.

Gen fuel cost about $14 per day. Then factor in cost of gen X 1000-1500 hrs. life span and you can add another 77 cents per hr. avg approx. X 24 = another $18.50 per hr. on top of the $14 for fuel totals $32.40 per day to operate if running 24 hr.. Then factor in the avg. 30 days per yr. I est. of use and your at $972.00 These are all ball park figures pulled out of the air but what else can you do when you have no idea how many hours or days unit will be used or load on equipment and total gen. hours before failure, etc. If you spend the money for batt. power you may or may not reduce the gen use. so it is hard to offset that cost based on less use of gen. Then you have to factor in batt. replacement even if you don't use them. Where gen can sit in garage for years and still pick up where it left off if stored properly. bottom line is $972 per yr. for gen and $750 devided by say 5 yr. for batt. if you don't run gen only for charging batt. = $150. Would you save $150 per yr. by having this extra set up vs using gen ? If you required batt. power for fan or something like the force air heaters but if you still have to run gen to charge batt. back up while parked did you really save anything ? So many variables...

Appears the batt. inverter power may offer some rewards if you need it for additional power but the fact that they can't power much long term makes it tough. I can use main 12v batt. for all my 12v items and keep it charged while running gen / driving and if I run it dead use jumper box to start van. It will shorten the life of my $30 batt. but since I only camp a limited number of days per yr. maybe adding a 2nd 12v. batt. would be enough to get me by without the inverter. That would save me some weight and lots of money. Plus just like the fuel heater, I can buy a lot of $30 batt. for $750 over the next 25 yr. if I kill 1 per yr.

Sometimes the harder we try the less practical we become. solar, inverters, chargers, etc. adds up to a lot of time / money if your not doing this full time. You can throw the gen / Big Buddy in van when ready to go and when your trip is over put it back in garage, no worries. Cheapest and got the job done without all the hassle.

PS: My past few post have been calculated around 3-4 am after a long day at work so if they sound a little off, sorry.

dwh, are you up for posting a 2x6 batt., charger, inverter set up cost break down ? best bang for your buck install...

Thanks

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I just need a charger so gen can keep batt. topped off. yamaha gen will supply 8 amp 12 volt

As far as I know, on all small 120v generators which have a 12v output, that output is unregulated. Useful for bulking up a battery (but only, as you say, at 8a), but not much else. Also, most inverter gens say to turn off the econo mode when using the 12v, so there goes any fuel savings.

Using a proper charger running off the 120v output of the gen is a much better way.

The new 2010 model of the Honeywell doesn't even have 12v anymore - they removed the entire 12v system.

maybe adding a 2nd 12v. batt. would be enough to get me by without the inverter.

That's where I'm at. Engine battery + single 100ah aux house battery. Both flooded lead acid (same voltage requirements) and both under the hood. Split-charge relay for charging off the engine, and 10a charger for charging from shore/gen.

I can also switch on the split-charge relay at will if I'm running the charger, so I can charge both batteries at the same time without running the engine.

I may replace my charger with a 15a Samlex that has 3 positive connections to charge up to 3 batteries and a dip switch to put it into 2-stage converter/charger mode. That way I could charge both batteries without energizing the split-charge relay. It balances the output, so if the engine battery was already charged, the whole output would end up going to the aux.

But maybe not. What I have works. Being a machinehead I have a tendency to gung-ho and always make things work better. It goes against my nature to just say, "good enough" and leave something the way it is - but I'm making a conscious effort to do exactly that.

The only *real* justification that I have for doing it is that it will cut down on generator run time - but I don't run the gen all that much anyway.

I do have two inverters, a 400w and 1000w, but I don't use them. I used to use the 400w for my laptop, but then I switched to a netbook and got a 12v power supply for it. I haven't used the inverter since.

I don't have nor need a microwave. LPG cooks just as well. Of course, with solar and lots of battery it would be a different story. Better to use renewable watts if available.

dwh, are you up for posting a 2x6 batt., charger, inverter set up cost break down ? best bang for your buck install...

Not really. There's not much to it, as you know. I personally don't worry about trying to calculate to the last penny or watt of efficiency. That's a Holy Grail. I usually decide what gear I want, then look for a good price. Plus, I'll often spend a little more and buy from a company that provides better service.

The problem I see for you is the battery. If you must put it inside the cabin, then you either have to build a sealed vented enclosure for FLA, or use AGM (or GEL, but I don't prefer GEL). If you are going with AGM, I'm not sure you'll really save much going with a pair of 6v instead of a single 12v. Electrically of course, there is no difference - both are just a gang of 6 x 2v cells. 100 lbs of lead-acid battery will store X watts, regardless if it's rigged 6v or 12v.

I don't like the idea of spending a lot on batteries unless there is some properly designed automated system to keep them maintained. If you have solar (or even better solar + generator auto-start) and a load plan that keeps the batteries always above 50% state of charge...then sure, buy really good batteries. But if you are going to abuse the batteries (most RVs do), then don't overspend on batteries.

Best bang for the buck would probably be a couple of cheap, decent 12v 100ah batteries, FLA in a vented enclosure, with either an Iota or Samlex 15a 2-stage charger and probably a Samlex PSW inverter.

And a split-charge relay. You don't need a computer controlled split-charge relay like a SmartGauge, National Luna or Sterling...nice to have of course but a simple relay wired to connect from the ignition switch also works just fine for most uses and is hard to beat from a "fix it on the road" point of view.

stkshooter

Observer
dwh: "I don't have nor need a microwave. LPG cooks just as well. Of course, with solar and lots of battery it would be a different story. Better to use renewable watts if available."

If I have camp set up and ready for cooking I might cook on stove depending what it is. Hot dog, soup, etc. I can cook in microwave real fast without additional pan clean up required using stove. If traveling and I have to unload and hook up gen. vs stove and unload pans, etc. That would also depend what I wanted to cook. Hard to beat a microwave for many things.

Using 1400-1500 watt. microwave would be the same as 1500 watt. space heater we talked about and kill a small batt. set up in 20 min. and then your alt. would have to work charging it back up. If you were not driving very far and needed that batt. for when parked the gen would be used to save the batt. which makes me wonder how many times I would opt. not to use inverter vs gen to save batt. also the time required to charge it back up, etc.

dwh: "Best bang for the buck would probably be a couple of cheap, decent 12v 100ah batteries, FLA in a vented enclosure, with either an Iota or Samlex 15a 2-stage charger and probably a Samlex PSW inverter."

"And a split-charge relay. You don't need a computer controlled split-charge relay like a SmartGauge, National Luna or Sterling...nice to have of course but a simple relay wired to connect from the ignition switch also works just fine for most uses and is hard to beat from a "fix it on the road" point of view."

I will most likely install 100Ah batt. under pass side (outside) and charge using split system set up like this. I used a small battery tender type charger last year when plugged in to run all my 12v stuff and it worked great if plugged in, it was the places in BFE with nothing that killed my batt. over night and required jumper box in morning.

split-charging-system-.jpg

This should give me more than enough batt. for my 12v devices. Use gen/shore pwr. for everything else.

Since I bought Big Buddy heater and won't have to run gen for heat. Plus knowing I have gen for back up. For my use through out the year, this should work great.

In the past 2 yr. I have went from 3000 btu max. freezing my butt off on van floor in 40 degree sleeping bag to a 0 degree bag, insulated van with bed and more btu than I will ever need. From sweating on the hot nights to A/C and gen pwr. when needed. And soon more batt. then I will need in most cases along with jumper box. I'm feeling spoiled all ready : ) Van just turned 70k so should have lots of life remaining if I can keep the GVWR issues under control.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
That diagram is good, except that I would use a solenoid rather than a relay, and the solenoid would be rated to at least the output capacity of the alternator. I.e., that diagram would be fine for a 30a alternator - not for the 100a in my truck.

Mine doesn't have fuses in the battery cables. There is a + cable from the engine battery to the solenoid, and a + cable from the aux battery to the other side of the solenoid.

The aux fuse block is tapped off the side of the solenoid where the aux battery cable connects. It's a nice easily accessible place to stick a ring terminal. From that stud, it runs to a 50a Bussman Type II "modified reset" breaker, and then to the fuse block.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d60.html

Also, you want a solenoid that is rated for continuous duty - like for a winch or golf cart - not intermittent rated like a starter solenoid.

stkshooter

Observer
dwh: we talked about alternator reducing MPG.

I decided to do a little research and see if anybody has tested this and was I glad to see others had. One article I read was about a guy with diesel VW who disconnected the alt. and used batt. with inverter and batt. charger to keep main batt. charged while driving so he could test the diff. in MPG. turnes out he was getting almost 1 MPG more with alt. drag removed. He had 2 or 4 batt. ( cant remember ) he would charge up over night at home and use this stored batt. power when driving. but if you factor in the couple hundred added pounds for his set up he would have lost some MPG because of added weight. Compact cars tend to be effected more, things like weight, A/C or Alt. demand a little extra from the engine where as V-8 is not effected AS much but would show less MPG even if only 1/2 MPG vs this guys test results. Every test article I read said the alt. was the biggest energy drag.

So based on 1/2 MPG less in V-8 van and possibly higher if running a larger alt. it seems we may want to consider just how much the added load is costing us. This would depend on how much you run the batt. down while parked and how long it would take to recharge based on your alt.

Pick a number ? How many hours would it take for your alt. to charge all batt. if starting at 50% working your way up to 100% ( approx )

If your getting 1/2 to 1 MPG less every time you drive vehicle at $3.00 gal. and you drove 12000 mi. per yr. but all that was not traveling so you didnt use vehicle alt. to keep batt. charged except when traveling you might come up with a total cost of $100 per yr. to charge batt. bank using alt. vs many other options.

It would take several yr. based on this to pay you back the cost of a solar set up. and if you used alt. to keep batt. bank topped off all year but only used it part of the year you could add additional MPG loss. Could the diff saved by not adding batt. bank ( batt. and install cost, weight, etc. ) pay for just running small gen when needed ? Simple and unlimited power, plus you always have fuel in main tank when needed. Just set up fuel pump or something to top off the gen or you may even look into buying one of those extended run fuel systems.

I do 90% of my camping from Nov. to Mar. and wil have a better handle on what works for us temp. users vs full timer van dwellers by Apr. once I go over the numbers. I think it's going to be very hard to justify a batt. bank set up based on part time camping. Now if your living out of van and need to stay stealth as possible, your going to use batt. bank considerably more and can justify investing more.

I have not factored in convenience, that is a whole other story. I have spent more than I want to admit based on my wants vs needs. :Wow1:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Um...yes.

I don't think the alternator is the biggest energy drag - I think the transmission is. :D Engine driven fans can be a pretty big hog as well. There are fan clutch eliminators, and they definitely have a noticeable impact on power and economy. Of course, if you replace the engine driven fan with an electric fan, you now have to supply the power via the alternator...

It all comes down to watts per hour. We know what a small generator puts out in terms of watt*hours per gallon, so to get a comparison, you'd need to know what the engine alternator puts out in terms of wh/g.

But that's not easy to do, since the engine speed, and thus economy, varies. To say for instance, "1mpg difference" - well okay, but at what speed?

Another thing to consider, is that the alternator is almost certainly going to push amps into the battery at a faster rate, so the total time to recharge will be less than with a small generator and battery charger.

As for the fellow who ran his car from batteries charged from the grid - well that's a great way to get electricity since the grid is almost always the cheapest source of electricity. Far cheaper than solar or gasoline. But as you say, he also had the expense of batteries and weight to account for.

I think any camping vehicle should have a dedicated aux battery for lights if nothing else, and it makes sense to keep those loads away from the engine starting battery. So even if it costs a few dollars more to have the second battery, I think it's well worth it. To me, that's easily justifiable in almost any situation - after all, redundancy also has a value.

stkshooter

Observer
Trans... Im not going off in that direction : ) We were talking about alt. charging batt.and over all cost vs gen. etc. Just wanted to mention my findings.

I checked out your post info. on split system parts needed. Geeeez I just want to add a 2nd batt. for extra camping power without spending $300-500. :camping: is getting expensive.

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
Interesting Data about the Alternator affecting MPG.

I use a manual switch to isolate my batteries. I have 130 watts of solar on the roof, and a battery monitor which counts amp hours into and out of the battery(s).

It also has a digital readout of alternator amperage.

So After I start the engine on the fully charged engine battery, after 30 seconds or so I turn my switch to Both, and immediately my engine note changes as the (130 amp rated) alternator goes from providing ~6 to 8 amps max into the engine battery, to 42 to 64 amps into all 3 batteries at idle speed. These amp readings do not indicate the electricity required to run the van. I have never disconnected the alternator to see what that number is. I will guess 5 to 8 amps, lights off, blower motor off. I know my in tank fuel pump requires 3.8 amps.

When my engine and alternator are hot, the alternator does very poorly at Idle, but if the house batteries are low enough, I will get 60 to 80 amps into all three batteries at engine rpms around ~2500, until 14.8 volts is reached anyway. The maximum I have ever seen is 107.

When I do not have the house batteries charging, or they are fully charged, I can easily feel the difference in the gas pedal of my 318 TBI.

If I am not charging the house batteries, or they are full, my engine idles smoother.

Apparently it takes 1 engine horsepower for an alternator to produce 23 to 25 amps, according to a couple sites online. I wonder how many HP are required to hold my Van at 65 MPH on a level road?

I have no data to say what MPG difference there is when the batteries are asking for 50+ amps or the single engine battery is asking for 6 or less amps.

I do notice that even when my House batteries are below 80%, once 14.4 to 14.8 volts is reached, the amperage from the alternator drops to frustratingly low levels, even if the batteries could accept a much higher amperage. The voltage regulator makes the alternator produce only enough amps to hold 14.4 volts, and no more. This can be as low as 16 amps even if my 2 house batteries are 60 amp hours from full. If they are within 15 A/h from full the alternator might only be making 6 amps to hold 14.4 volts.

So fully charging by my alternator, well the last 10 %, can take as long as it would take my 130 watts of solar to do the same thing, even at higher rpms.

Obviously these numbers will vary with vehicle type and battery bank, but it is probably pretty universal that once the alternator produces enough amperage to bring the voltage of the battery to it's cut off point(14.4-14.8) the voltage regulator reigns in the alternator so it does not exceed that voltage.

So it is not like the alternator is always sucking up large amounts of engine HP to charge the battery, especially the closer it gets to full charge.

Anyway, interesting topic, even if it has drifted away from the original subject, somewhat.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I checked out your post info. on split system parts needed. Geeeez I just want to add a 2nd batt. for extra camping power without spending $300-500. :camping: is getting expensive.

?? Solenoids are cheap:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Continuous-Duty-Solenoid-80AMP-12V/dp/B0028OO05W"]Amazon.com: Continuous Duty Solenoid 80AMP 12V: Automotive[/ame]

Even a really good one is pretty cheap:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/PAC-PAC200-Battery-Isolator-Relay/dp/B000CEBXRS/ref=pd_sbs_auto_6"]Amazon.com: PAC PAC200 Battery Isolator, 200 Amp Relay: Automotive[/ame]

You need a battery, a solenoid, and a couple of battery cables. One fuse to protect the wire from the ignition that energizes the solenoid (generally a 5a should be enough). A small fuseblock for your aux circuits and a cheap breaker to feed the fuseblock. Should be able to cobble it together for under $100 for everything.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I do notice that even when my House batteries are below 80%, once 14.4 to 14.8 volts is reached, the amperage from the alternator drops to frustratingly low levels, even if the batteries could accept a much higher amperage. The voltage regulator makes the alternator produce only enough amps to hold 14.4 volts, and no more. This can be as low as 16 amps even if my 2 house batteries are 60 amp hours from full. If they are within 15 A/h from full the alternator might only be making 6 amps to hold 14.4 volts.

So fully charging by my alternator, well the last 10 %, can take as long as it would take my 130 watts of solar to do the same thing, even at higher rpms.

Obviously these numbers will vary with vehicle type and battery bank, but it is probably pretty universal that once the alternator produces enough amperage to bring the voltage of the battery to it's cut off point(14.4-14.8) the voltage regulator reigns in the alternator so it does not exceed that voltage.

Yea that is frustrating. There are smart regulators though:

http://sterling-power-usa.com/advancedregulators.aspx

Or this bad boy:

http://sterling-power-usa.com/12volt130ampalternatortobatterycharger.aspx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior