DIY 5 pound propane tank bracket

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Didn't have room in the overland trailer for a 20# tank, and don't need that much propane on three day trips. Bought a "miniMe" 5# tank from Manchester Tanks. Needed a bracket to mount on the outside of the trailer.
Dug out the TIG welder this morning and had my way with some Aluminum.....Haven't touched this TIG welder in years, but it all came back to me.....Like riding a bicycle...

IMG_20200210_120354754.jpg

IMG_20200210_120434970.jpg

IMG_20200210_120453699.jpg

john61ct

Adventurer
Nice work.

Personally the standard 20# BBQ bottles are so cheap basically free, that's what I wojld mount outside, and decant into the tiny ones for portable use if needed for picnics or whatever.

Alloy

Bolts hold it on?

Nyloc nuts on the clamp bracket is a must

A wire though the latch wont' hurt.

Welding inside and out is best.

Keep an eye on the aluminum it is notorious for cracking

Teardropper

Dug out the TIG welder this morning

I'm damn impressed.

I think I paid north of a hundred bucks for this one from Overland:

4BAeQ2E.jpg

Tony

Rbertalotto

Explorer
The bolts are peened over once the nuts are tight. Better than nylock
There is a lock on the hasp for theft protection
This is 6061 aluminum. The way it is designed metal fatigue shouldn’t be an issue.
Welded total lap and down the sides. Actually the welding is overdone. But it was fun TIG welding !
I was going to buy that mount, but at $100!...I’m retired now and on fixed income!

Alloy

The bolts are peened over once the nuts are tight. Better than nylock
There is a lock on the hasp for theft protection
This is 6061 aluminum. The way it is designed metal fatigue shouldn’t be an issue.
Welded total lap and down the sides. Actually the welding is overdone. But it was fun TIG welding !
I was going to buy that mount, but at $100!...I’m retired now and on fixed income!

6061 is one the easiest to fatigue crack.....which will start at the ends of the one sided horizontal welds. I've seen it 100's of times.....just something to keep an eye on.

jwiereng

Nice work.

Personally the standard 20# BBQ bottles are so cheap basically free, that's what I wojld mount outside, and decant into the tiny ones for portable use if needed for picnics or whatever.

How do you decant into the smaller bottles?

john61ct

Adventurer
Buy quality fittings to match the two tanks' valves and a good hose in between, maybe a separate 90° open/close valve if you like.

At a propane dealer they can help, authentic Rego brand are best, lots of cheap chinese crap out there. Otherwise Tractor Supply, maybe Home Depot, link below are just for pics.

Helps to know the terminology

QCC Type 1 or QCC1, ACME POL are keywords for the standard outlet on a BBQ 20# tank, the old school POL part is female, the ACME 1-1/4" is male can use either style.

Most other-size bottles these days use the same, but YMMV

example with overkill

______
"Coleman style" if you use the 1# refillable DOT-approved version of those, valve referred to as 1"-20

example adapter made up

So just suspend the source tank upside down above the target OUTSIDE no sparks nearby of course check for leaks soap test.

Example stand, but can easily rig your own DIY
Also refillable 1# there.

Not all the gas will transfer, warming the source a bit will help get close to empty if going to exchange it.

_____
Note can go anything to anything these days, also go between butane and propane nice adapters from Korea.

Those portable Iwatani style burners are great, can run off plumbed propane when installed, then toss them in a backpack for a picnic using the $1 canisters from Asian shops

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles