DIY 10x10 awning, and how to attach it to camper shell on 6.5ft truck bed?

dbhost

For those not seeing in the Domestic Full size forum, I am building a camper shell camper for my '04 F150 supercab 4x4. I would like to minimize. I.E. eliminate the need for my EZ Up and do one of those DIY awnings based off of a tarp, 3/4 conduit, and telescoping poles. Herein lies the rub... Or more specifically 2 rubs.

#1. I want the awning to cover 10'x10' so it will come up to just about the A pillar on the cab of the truck. This should go on the passenger side of the truck and is intended to provide weather coverage over the pass side doors where the fridge is to be located.(Pass side back seat). I also want 10' out so I can use without modification 2 Ozark Trail Shade Walls, the ones with all the stowage cubbies and paper towel holders, again trying to weather protect what is inside the perimeter. Most notably the kitchen. For example camping on gulf coast beaches, I can point nose out and put the shade walls up in front and side to keep the blowing sand out of the kitchen.
#2. I know I am going to have to mount to the camper shell, but the styling of the camper shell makes designing mounts a bit of a problem. Need advice on this as I would like to have headroom so over the rear window line would be nice...

So can anyone recomend where to find telescoping poles that will do 10', and any input on designing the mounts would help a LOT...

Sorry, best pic I have of it right now, still working on getting the camper sealed to the truck bed...

10_PreppingCamperShell.gif

Reactions: WVI

1000arms

You might try searching for "telescoping extension poles" or "telescoping painters poles".

You might look in to ladder racks that are designed to mount reach around a truck cap and be secured between the cap and the truck bed for ideas on mounts that might work for you. ... For that matter, a DIY ladder rack (or purchased if you find one cheap enough), might work well for supporting and tying down an awning.

dbhost

So still waiting on tires. Apparently UPS somehow lost 4 BFGoodrich All Terrain TA KO2s in 33x12.50/17 somehwere between Houston and League City distribution centers (League City is a suburb of Houston...). Not going to see them before likely Tuesday if even then. Gotta go back to Amazon and get them to fix this... Since I am not the shipper but the recipient....

Working on the battery connection for the DC to DC charger on the starting battery side. A little worried the cable size I opted for might be one gauge small. But engineering toolbox says 12v 25amps which is more than I am going to carry at 15 feet which is further than I am going to go should get 10ga. However Atempower recommends 8ga. Which is a bit overkill if you ask me...

Pressure washed the loose crap off the bed of the truck and letting it dry. It has been rainy and I do not want to head out there with my corded tools, so I finally broke down and bought myself a new cordless drill and sander. I have been a big Ryobi user for years so I went with the One+ system, lots of compatibility, good reputation, and the prices are reasonable. Not using them in a pro context so I should get good service life out of them...

I am considering pulling my stock bumper + Go Rhino winch mount / brush guard and winch, in favor of a dedicated off road bumper / winch mount. Looking at the way these things are made I think I might actually end up with less weight to be carried by the front springs, considering my fat behind and the fridge being in the cab, not a terrible idea...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94