Diving in Head First!

kerry

Expedition Leader
Question about your mirrors: the OE mirrors are at driver’s eye level. Your new mirrors are lower and you must have to look down to use them. Is this a problem.

yabanja

Explorer
Beautiful! Did you add a fuse and cutoff switch? If so, where did you mount them?

The winch isn’t wired yet. I am still in mock up stage. I have both a switch and fuse. They will be on the frame just behind the cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yabanja

Explorer
Question about your mirrors: the OE mirrors are at driver’s eye level. Your new mirrors are lower and you must have to look down to use them. Is this a problem.

We absolutely love them. The height is great. It gets them out of the way of the views and visibility is very good. The only time I have missed the old mirrors is when backing with a trailer. This is more due to the distance out away from the truck than the height.

westyss

Explorer
Good job on the bumper! Looks good, not too big and protruding forward.

The only thing I don't like about the stock mirrors is the angle of the leading edge directs bugs into the side window , and if it's open can lead to some exciting times searching for that half dead wasp that landed somewhere on you doing 70 on the freeway!
I keep my mirrors folded in so they don't stick out, I guess they are stiff enough that they don't move at all and I find them very strong! They make a great place to hang towels to dry and as a bungy cord support for a privacy screen. My mirrors also came with the heating element for winters that I haven't used much but its still nice to have. One more thing that came with my truck was a block heater!

kerry

Expedition Leader
Where is your block heater? I have not noticed one on mine. I also lack the mirror heaters

The only thing I don't like about the stock mirrors is the angle of the leading edge directs bugs into the side window , and if it's open can lead to some exciting times searching for that half dead wasp that landed somewhere on you doing 70 on the freeway!
I keep my mirrors folded in so they don't stick out, I guess they are stiff enough that they don't move at all and I find them very strong! They make a great place to hang towels to dry and as a bungy cord support for a privacy screen. My mirrors also came with the heating element for winters that I haven't used much but its still nice to have. One more thing that came with my truck was a block heater!

westyss

Explorer
I haven't tracked its exact location but the wiring enters near EGR system on the drivers side, maybe a little forward of that, I can hear it percolating when its on and I think it heats the coolant but I am not sure.

Lachstock

We absolutely love them. The height is great. It gets them out of the way of the views and visibility is very good. The only time I have missed the old mirrors is when backing with a trailer. This is more due to the distance out away from the truck than the height.

I bought the same mirrors but need to make up a folded steel bracket to hold them with the current mirror bolts!

I've searched high and low for the mirror configuration you have to get the same mounts but they don't seem to exist in AU!

yabanja

Explorer
I bought the same mirrors but need to make up a folded steel bracket to hold them with the current mirror bolts!

I've searched high and low for the mirror configuration you have to get the same mounts but they don't seem to exist in AU!
Oh wow! Mine were the stock lower mounts on a 2000 model. What year is yours? Let me know how you like them.

yabanja

Explorer

I remember being stunk by a wasp that got sucked into the wing window on our VW bus. No fun and very exciting.

The biggest benefit of the mirrors is the reduction in wind noise.

Fido also has a block heater. I use it periodically if I haven't started the truck in a long time to help reduce engine wear on startup.

Allan

kerry

Expedition Leader
I've ordered a set of the Defender mirrors. I assume you had to drill holes in the lower mirror mount in order to fit them? Where is the cord for your block heaters. I'd love to use one if I have one but I've never seen a cord. My truck came from the SE so maybe they were only installed on Northern trucks.

westyss

Explorer
I've ordered a set of the Defender mirrors. I assume you had to drill holes in the lower mirror mount in order to fit them? Where is the cord for your block heaters. I'd love to use one if I have one but I've never seen a cord. My truck came from the SE so maybe they were only installed on Northern trucks.
Cord comes out at the main fuse box on the drivers side near the coolant tank.

yabanja

Explorer

Yes, the end product looks like this:
0eb40d54106b973080b86e090bb60ce0.jpg

kerry

Expedition Leader
Got the mirrors. Am I correct in thinking the OE mirrors could be reinstalled after installing these if necessary? I sometimes pull a trailer and don’t want to completely forego the option of wide mirrors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles