Diving in Head First!

DzlToy

Explorer
Allan, I hope your trip is going well. Next time you have a tape measure in your hand, could you check the ground clearance to the newly mounted storage box on the driver's side?

I presume you are still on 37" tires?

Cheers

Homer Crimson

So happy I found your well written build thread. Once I realized that building a modest yet capable off-road camper could be done for not much more than building up a light truck or SUV based project, I slowly came around to the FG's (mostly because our 4x4 medium/heavy truck options are so limited, but even if we could get any vehicles here, a Hino or NPS are really all I'd consider anyway due to their size, cost and capability; cab over has so many advantages).
I'll pester all the FUSO folks with technical questions later. For now, I'm curious about your trip into Beef Basin. I know "The Squeeze" is probably too tight for Fido to punch through (maybe not, though- a HMMWV can do it) to exit via Elephant Hill. That particular obstacle aside, do you think an FG could make it in to Needles and back out through Bobby's Hole? It would be great to be able to go all the way in to Chesler Park and Devil's Kitchen in early spring/late fall, but I haven't seen many examples of FG's on slick rock trails.
I'll keep working my way through your build thread, but I also wanted to compliment you for the videos and travel logs. Great reminders of why to do this in the first place. I just need to get building before I'm too old to use my MTB when I get where I'm going.

yabanja

Explorer
My truck is a very unusual short wheelbase version. At 112". This greatly improves breakover angle and turning radius over the longer trucks. In my experience it will go anywhere there are tire tracks provided the 7’ width of the box will fit. I have had it at 45 degree side angles(not recommended). The only drawback to the truck off road is the ridiculous diameter of the rear pumpkin that can cause problems in very deep mud. Bobby’s hole changes every year and vehicle capability is directly related to driver experience. If it is drivable and your wife isn’t along to say no then Fido could do it. The truck certainly won’t fit through the narrows before beef basin where I have seen full size pickups wedged and bumped by narrower trucks to get free.

Take care!

Allan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

yabanja

Explorer
With the state of the world lately we have found ourselves hanging around the house with a ton of time on our hands. I finally got around to finishing a couple of projects on Fido that have been bouncing around in the back of my mind for some time.

Suspension:

Over the last 5 years I have rebuilt the leaf spring packs on Fido in my driveway 4 times trying to achieve the perfect ride by playing with different combinations of leaves. I finally came to the realization(as pointed out to me by fellow expo members years ago) that it is not possible to make the suspension ride well on the stock main leaf. The problem is that the Main leaf is too short which means when it is at full flat the shackle angle is still 5 degrees in the forward(wrong direction). The shackle angle has a huge effect on ride quality. I finally ended up having new main leaves bent by a local spring shop with 3"of additional arch and 2" of additional length from the center point back. I also had them add 3 degrees of castor.

3050C296-AB57-4FF4-A214-F1C8D575A3BA 2.JPG

After putting it all back together with a combination late model stock fuso springs I had laying around I have finally achieved Nirvana!

4CDB90CF-A0F5-4AD6-8D79-2610F7A3B8E1.JPG
There is plenty of arch and tons up up travel and the shackle angle is good which creates a tremendous amount of droop/articulation(will finally be able to put those extended brake lines and 10" Bilsteins to good use!).

IMG_8250.JPG

I am very happy with the ride at this point. I would like to reduce the ride height, however, and am considering taking an inch out of the height of the mounting blocks which are welded to the axle to achieve this. For now though I think it's about time for the next trip!

Allan

yabanja

Explorer
One of the things that I have always hated about the Fuso is the rearview mirrors.

IMG_8252.JPG

They were designed for truck bodies that are much wider than a camper and stick out way more than necessary. They are so tall that I am always hitting trees with them and are a brick going down the highway causing huge wind noise. I could live with all of that but the worse part is if you pass an oncoming semi on the freeway they screech out of adjustment. There have been times when I have to lower my window on the freeway every ten minutes to adjust them. So aggravating!

I have found a great solution.

IMG_8256.JPG

Land Rover Defender Mirrors. See link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012JDDDAO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are built for off road use and have Detents to hold them in place in open or folded position.

IMG_8262.JPG

There is a positive adjustment system with a screw to tighten and they stay in adjustment and the lenses are convex which offers the same field of view as the originals at a fraction of the size.

IMG_8259.JPG

As an added bonus they weigh a fraction of what the originals are so you have more weight capacity for donuts!

Install was straightforward although I did have to do some clearancing to the backside of the original mirror mount to make clearance for the bolt head.

IMG_8255.JPG

Oh, and you'll need a rubber grommet to fill the hole in the top of the bracket where the original mirror post came out.

Really looking forward to getting some road time in with these!

Happy Trails!

Allan

billiebob

With the state of the world lately we have found ourselves hanging around the house with a ton of time on our hands. I finally got around to finishing a couple of projects on Fido that have been bouncing around in the back of my mind for some time.

Suspension:

Over the last 5 years I have rebuilt the leaf spring packs on Fido in my driveway 4 times trying to achieve the perfect ride by playing with different combinations of leaves. I finally came to the realization(as pointed out to me by fellow expo members years ago) that it is not possible to make the suspension ride well on the stock main leaf. The problem is that the Main leaf is too short which means when it is at full flat the shackle angle is still 5 degrees in the forward(wrong direction). The shackle angle has a huge effect on ride quality. I finally ended up having new main leaves bent by a local spring shop with 3"of additional arch and 2" of additional length from the center point back. I also had them add 3 degrees of castor.

View attachment 602716

After putting it all back together with a combination late model stock fuso springs I had laying around I have finally achieved Nirvana!

View attachment 602719
There is plenty of arch and tons up up travel and the shackle angle is good which creates a tremendous amount of droop/articulation(will finally be able to put those extended brake lines and 10" Bilsteins to good use!).

View attachment 602721

I am very happy with the ride at this point. I would like to reduce the ride height, however, and am considering taking an inch out of the height of the mounting blocks which are welded to the axle to achieve this. For now though I think it's about time for the next trip!

Allan
I think I'll be doing this with my Square Drop next year. Loaded it is 1500# but it has a 3500# axle. I have seen guys who used YJ front springs.

I am trying to figure out what that orange car with the 1970s bumper is. Best guess is a Comet.... or something European.

yabanja

Explorer
I think I'll be doing this with my Square Drop next year. Loaded it is 1500# but it has a 3500# axle. I have seen guys who used YJ front springs.

I am trying to figure out what that orange car with the 1970s bumper is. Best guess is a Comet.... or something European.

The orange car is extremely rare. Not surprised you didn't recognize it. It is a 1973 Datsun 610 2 Door hardtop. Just beginning a hotrod project with it.

yabanja

Explorer
We had a chance to hit the road this weekend. The mirrors were a BIG hit! They stayed in adjustment and wind noise was greatly reduced. An added bonus I hadn't considered is the view out the windows is so much better. Never realized how much the standard mirrors blocked. It is like you have a 270 degree view now. So nice!

The springs are really nice. Particularly on big bumps on road. Now we are going to need a sway bar as the truck leans uncomfortably in corners and it tends to sway a lot off road. Stay tuned....

Allan

yabanja

Explorer
Progress! I bought a Sherpa 17000 lb winch with extra capacity spool. Then built a bolt on cradle from 1/2 " steel. Then sectioned the stock bumper and attached it to the sides. The end result looks fairly similar to stock but is much more robust. All I have left is to take it all apart, finish some extra welds, paint everything and wire it all up. Happy with the results.

IMG_9675.jpg

IMG_9679.JPG
IMG_9682.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke