Diving in Head First!

DzlToy

Explorer
While I can't aruge with your "seat of the pants" results, the #500 front and #650 rear seem low to me. I have been off roading for about 20 years, mostly in Toyota trucks and Land Cruisers and it is not uncommon at all to see spring rates at that level or higher for Tacoma pickups setup for overlanding (heavy weight). Additionally, an 8-11 leaf pack of thin springs, with no over-load or AAL springs will ride much better than a few thick/heavy springs. I can only imagine that with a cab right over the front axle and a heavy diesel engine and trans, compared to a Tacoma/Land Cruiser, the spring rates would need to be higher, but I am not a suspension expert.

You may wish to consider calling someone like this for a custom spring pack based on the weight and design of your particular truck.

Scott Born
Sales and Marketing Mgr.
(714)542-3703
(714)542-2898 FAX
scott@deaverspring.com
Deaver Spring Inc.
902 E. 2nd Street
Santa Ana, Ca. 92701

Proper shock valving is also very important, as there is a significant mass moving under the truck, as well as above the axle (sprung vs unsprung weight). Proper suspension setup and design is an ART and there are some people who are very good at it, but most dont have a clue, including many vendors and 4WD shops. Whether it is a mountain bike, a UTV or a Dakar truck, proper suspension makes all the difference in the world WRT to handling, ride comfort, traction, etc.

yabanja

Explorer
While I can't aruge with your "seat of the pants" results, the #500 front and #650 rear seem low to me. I have been off roading for about 20 years, mostly in Toyota trucks and Land Cruisers and it is not uncommon at all to see spring rates at that level or higher for Tacoma pickups setup for overlanding (heavy weight). Additionally, an 8-11 leaf pack of thin springs, with no over-load or AAL springs will ride much better than a few thick/heavy springs. I can only imagine that with a cab right over the front axle and a heavy diesel engine and trans, compared to a Tacoma/Land Cruiser, the spring rates would need to be higher, but I am not a suspension expert.

You may wish to consider calling someone like this for a custom spring pack based on the weight and design of your particular truck.

Scott Born
Sales and Marketing Mgr.
(714)542-3703
(714)542-2898 FAX
scott@deaverspring.com
Deaver Spring Inc.
902 E. 2nd Street
Santa Ana, Ca. 92701

Proper shock valving is also very important, as there is a significant mass moving under the truck, as well as above the axle (sprung vs unsprung weight). Proper suspension setup and design is an ART and there are some people who are very good at it, but most dont have a clue, including many vendors and 4WD shops. Whether it is a mountain bike, a UTV or a Dakar truck, proper suspension makes all the difference in the world WRT to handling, ride comfort, traction, etc.

Thank you for your input! I have custom valved Bilstein 9100 shocks, and I have spoken at length with Deaver Spring already.

Allan

Last edited:

waveslider

Outdoorsman
New toys from Amazon today! Lev-o-gage for the dash and an ARB deflator gauge. I was introduced to the air gauge by the two Ausies driving the Earthcruiser at Overland Expo(lost their contact info). It is super cool! It removes the valve stem so that you can bleed off huge amounts of air very rapidly. Very nice!

View attachment 289720

YB,

I have been intrigued by that ARB deflator. I've been a pretty dedicated Staun user. I will be interested in hearing your review of it, I am skeptical of the possibility that the constant screwing and unscrewing of the valve core opens it up for the possibility of cross-threading or over torquing, etc. May be paranoia on my part and I would be curious to hear your experience.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
YB,

I have been intrigued by that ARB deflator. I've been a pretty dedicated Staun user. I will be interested in hearing your review of it, I am skeptical of the possibility that the constant screwing and unscrewing of the valve core opens it up for the possibility of cross-threading or over torquing, etc. May be paranoia on my part and I would be curious to hear your experience.

The constant screwing and unscrewing shouldn't be that big a deal, but then again these tires aren't that large. When we were running the Unimogs, with up to 14.00x20 tires, we'd always unscrew the stems, but the volume of those tires is hugely different from any tire that can reasonably be run on a FUSO or Isuzu, I'm thinking. I mean, how much of a hurry are you in, that taking 20 minutes or so to air down is a big deal?

Then again, I'm the guy that likes the higher gearing on my truck so I can go down the road faster LOL....

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Yeah, its less of time suck thing and more of a concern that if you cross thread or over torque that puppy, you are in a bad way generally. I had a valve core go south on the GSA moto and it wasn't fun. I might be over-reacting. It looks like a cool design though that "captures" the core in a much more controlled way which may completely neutralize the possibility for issues. Cool trinket though.

yabanja

Explorer
YB,

I have already been unscrewing the cores with a valve stem tool. I was always concerned that it would blow out of my hand into the dirt and I would end up full flat before I could dig up another one. The ARB gauge keeps the stem aligned for screwing back in which greatly reduces the likelihood of cross threading. Unscrewing the stem on a 37" tire I can get twenty psi out of the tire in twenty seconds as opposed to about 3 minutes per tire pushing the air pressure gauge in while kneeling in the mud. To make a long story short, I really like the gauge. Just one problem though. I have dual stems on the wheels. Standard ones on the shallow side, and removable stems on the deep side. The removable stems don't have traditional cores so this only works on the front!!! Didn't think that through properly!

Allan

pricey

Observer
YB,

I've been using the ARB deflator for over 7 years without issue. In my opinion they are the best and nearly the quickest of deflators on the market. They are much more accurate than the Stauns in my experience. I used one almost daily on a 45,000 km trip around Australia over 18 months. I never once stripped threads or ruined a valve. The design makes it extremely difficult to cross thread if you screw it on to the schrader valve correctly. If you can replace a schrader cap, you should be right ;)

yabanja

Explorer
Short Video

Here is a short video of an off road excursion in the fuso.... It was very rough in spots.
[video=vimeo;130394361]https://vimeo.com/130394361[/video]
Allan

yabanja

Explorer
You're not the first to make such a conversion; http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1995-04.html

That is one of my favorite fairy tales!!

The wife and I decided to go for an over-nighter last night. Two hours later we were camped on an 8000 foot ridgeline up a very rough 10 mile dirt road over large enough obstacles to stop all but the most extreme vehicles. The best part it was only 30 miles from our front door in downtown Salt Lake City. I love this place! Life is good. Allan

11229314_10200805776902333_5846238672237951057_o.jpg

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Skyline Drive over Bountiful per chance? Great rig and great write-up BTW. I've been pondering doing this very thing with a Hilo for years. Good to see it has a steel frame. Please excuse if you already answered this, but did you have to repair or change out any of the lift components? And yes, we do live in a pretty incredible place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles