Diving in Head First!

java

Expedition Leader
I'll have to look into that sound deadener, that's on my list.... Thanks for the updates!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
It is Siless,an aluminum backed butyl rubber with an 80 mm thickness.
I would expect a better than 7db reduction in the noise levels with 80mm of insulation... A typo I am guessing. ;)
80mil = 80 thousandths of an inch = 2.032mm
I did the Dynamat thing with my truck a long time ago. Definitely should be high on the list of "must do" items, in my opinion.

There is nothing I hate worse than an expedition vehicle that looks like it drove through a radio shack with a magnet!
You made me laugh with that one.

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
A bit late now, but I will leave this here for future reference, unless you would like it removed.

There is an art to sound damping. The "cover every inch of your floor with Dynamat" only serves to empty your wallet and add weight. Changing the resonant frequency of each panel is the goal, along with eliminating harmonics. A "piece" of sound damping (not dampening) material in the center of a panel may be all that is required. Several types of sound absorbing material may be required in order to achieve the desired result. I do not doubt that you have seen some improvements, but you likely cost yourself a bit of time and money unnecessarily.

On the CB antenna, a metal one is preferred over a fiberglass one. If you are in the woods, the antenna should be spring mounted, the fiberglass ones will break at the base if hit hard with tree branches. The antenna should also be "tuned" for your vehicle, especially cabovers, as they are a bit weird. This provides optimum range and performance and can really make a noticeable difference.

Looking forward to seeing the upcoming cross country adventure.

Cheers

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
What you say may well be true, but Dynamat (and its derivatives) also work reasonably well as an insulator.
I notice that the heat generated by the engine does not come through the floor as much since applying the Dynamat.

yabanja

Explorer
Well... since I'm no expert in harmonics I figured more couldn't hurt, and that has turned out to be the case. I have noticed a significant reduction in heat from both the engine and roof which would not have been the case had I used the material in a more targeted manner. The antenna in the photo is spring mounted and will be tuned as soon as I get my hands on one of the special tools required.

Allan

yabanja

Explorer
The front dinette/spare bed was made using 4" low density foam. Not only did you end up bottoming out, but you also didn't sit high enough to see out of the windows. It was also too soft for comfortable sleeping.
IMG_0104.JPG

We purchased a six inch thick chunk of marine grade high density foam designed for berths. $250 worth of foam!! IMG_0105.JPG

Luckily, Sakshi had the brilliant idea to have new upholstery covers custom made in India on a recent trip. She also got enough extra fabric to re-do the bed in the future. We had priced fabric at home at $49 a yard. It ended up being 11 yards. Total cost in India for fabric and custom made zip on covers $100!!!! The results are outstanding!
IMG_0106.JPG

gait

Explorer
nice Indian covers, cost lots for custom made in Aus.

hard to tell from the pics, I found a 10 degree from vertical for seat backs and 105 degrees between back and squab can be more comfortable than vertical/horizontal. Back foam less dense than squab foam.

yabanja

Explorer
nice Indian covers, cost lots for custom made in Aus.

hard to tell from the pics, I found a 10 degree from vertical for seat backs and 105 degrees between back and squab can be more comfortable than vertical/horizontal. Back foam less dense than squab foam.

Indeed, an angle would be nice, we have throw pillows to serve that purpose. This doubles as a bed so we had to make some compromises.

Allan

yabanja

Explorer
In preparation for our 10000 mile road trip next month I just received $1500 worth of spares from Tom's Truck Center in California. After having repeated lackluster experiences with my local Rush Truck Center I decided to explore other opportunities. Couldn't be more pleased. Significantly discounted parts, outstanding customer service, and rapid shipping. Really happy overall! Ordered all new belts, hoses, front and rear driveshaft u-joints, grab handles for the cab, cv boots, front differential service gaskets and c clips, a ton of filters, new mirrors, replacement lens for a broken lamp, etc.....

IMG_5106.JPG

yabanja

Explorer
One thing leads to another. Our water tank sprung a leak so I ordered a new one. I haven't been happy with the location of the water tank as it is directly over the fuel tank which magnifies weight change from empty to full. In talking with my wife we decided to remove the water heater as we have always found it wasteful to heat 4 gallons of water when we typically shower with one gallon. Of late we have just been heating water on the stove and taking a ladle shower Indian style. This opened up a ton of possibilities as the water heater was located on the opposite side of the vehicle. I decided to remove it and put the water tank where it had been located which would keep the weight even as the fluid levels drop. The water heater was original to the camper and maybe 40 year old gas appliances aren't the best. When I got it out I found it weighed 50 lbs empty!!

IMG_5119.JPG

yabanja

Explorer
The bin containing the water heater was a horribly inefficient use of space. Moving the water tank there will free up a giant bin for storage-(on the right)IMG_5120.JPG

yabanja

Explorer
f0de22e25a45ab3cce9641e49d4da89c.jpg
Got the side all cleared in preparation for the new 5‘ x 2‘ x 2‘ weather tech box. Excited to have more storage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yabanja

Explorer
Ammo cans for deep storage. Cardboard box for more accessible items.
3a71fcb0e44be6266c76cdee2e5616b0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz