Divide Road, From Grand Junciton to Montrose over 100 miles of dirt

99Discovery

Adventurer
This road is technically trivial, but the scenery is amazing.

The Divide Road from the North takes off shortly after turning from Highway 50 to 141 and rises up to the top of the Uncompahgre Plateau and follows this plateau rewarding you with some of the best ponderosa groves in the west, glimpses of the San Juans as well as the La Sal mountains just outside of Moab, Utah.

There are many great spurs that take off for secluded campgrounds. Since access is really easy, it is also a popular spot. You'll see trailers, cars, side-by-sides, the lot, but there are enough side-spurs to satisfy anyone and if you are including this trail as part of a larger expedition, you shouldn't have a problem finding a private campsite.

Anyway, here is my short video review, which essentially says the same thing, but will hopefully give you a glimpse of the scenery. I'll try to upload some still photos when I have more time.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
It’s in my backyard. Great place to camp and play in the dirt. There are plenty of mild dirt roads and a few hard core 4x4 trails. But it’s misleading to call the Divide Road a trail; it’s a County Road and a very popular ride during fall colors peak. From a camp up there a couple of weeks ago:
35f6083536239bd8de2f453e2a6a15a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
When did you film this? Looked like there may have been a fire burn last week between the Divide Road and southwest of Delta in Dominquez?

Last edited:

99Discovery

Adventurer
When did you film this? Looked like there may have been a fire burn last week between the Divide Road and southwest of Delta in Dominquez?
A fire up there?? That would be a travesty.

We were there July 21.

And Ace Brown is right, it's a graded county road the whole way, but the scenery is awesome.

DaveInDenver

There's currently a fire down near Nucla but it sure looked like a plume of smoke around Cactus Park last Sunday.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart

On July 16 during my annual overnighter run from Delta to the FJ Summit. The sunset was enhanced by smoke in the air from several fires west of the Uncompahgre but there was none close at that time. Daytime view from the same spot:
e3a0ef74958153c43487be3ba02bff3d.jpg

99Discovery

Adventurer
That's an excellent photo! Thanks for sharing! We were there at the end of FJ Summit. Even though I was in a Landie, it was awesome to see all the Toyotas out in the wild.

Somehow I need to figure out how to get myself into a 200-series without breaking the bank....

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
That's an excellent photo! Thanks for sharing! We were there at the end of FJ Summit. Even though I was in a Landie, it was awesome to see all the Toyotas out in the wild.

Somehow I need to figure out how to get myself into a 200-series without breaking the bank....

The 100 series is a lot cheaper used and just as good.

99Discovery

Adventurer
Ironically, I've seen more used 200 series on the market, it seems those who were searching for 100s have already snagged them up, and so if you want one used you are looking at 180-300k miles on the clock.

I was hoping to get a cruiser around 100k. If I go for a 200k cruiser, I'd be tempted to find an FJZ80 and keep my solid axles.

Maybe I should broaden my search Stateside instead of locally..

DaveInDenver

Think about this, the 200 series is already 11 years old, so you would expect to start seeing a fair number of them on the used market. The people that bought them have started to trade them in on new Rovers or Porsches or the new Armada/Patrol as they hit the magical 100,000 mile mark.

You have to consider the 80 series as collectible (and some of them actually are eligible being 25+ years old). They will all have high miles, be used hard, abuse or ignored. So they will be needing restoration or rebuilding. The ones the guys in the club seem to be getting aren't 200k but rather 500k miles or wrecked and they are doing ground up rebuilds, saving them from being parted out.

The reason the 100 is popular is it's a transition. Not slow like the 80s are, the 2UZ is an excellent engine and the first to actually be able to get a Cruiser really moving. Yet still fairly simple or can be made so. Most of them have miles but aren't tired yet in the same way 80s are. The 100 is the new 80.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I’ve seen more 80s and 100s for sale than 200s. Not all had crazy mileage. They are out there.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
The 100 series is a lot cheaper used and just as good.

Not to get off topic but not even close and I own a 100 series

What’s not close? Most 100 series owners I know say they usually are much cheaper than a used 200.

This thread has been off topic for many posts now and derailed by the OP.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
What’s not close? Most 100 series owners I know say they usually are much cheaper than a used 200.

This thread has been off topic for many posts now and derailed by the OP.

Yes the 100 series will be cheaper as they should be being older. To say just as good is not fair from my recent experience. I have been doing some product testing on a 200 and after driving it for over 1000+ miles on/off road and having it on a lift it is a monster and much better built and designed IMO than a 100 series and I have owned several.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles