Divide Road, From Grand Junciton to Montrose over 100 miles of dirt

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
What’s not close? Most 100 series owners I know say they usually are much cheaper than a used 200.

This thread has been off topic for many posts now and derailed by the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the 100 series will be cheaper as they should be being older. To say just as good is not fair from my recent experience. I have been doing some product testing on a 200 and after driving it for over 1000+ miles on/off road and having it on a lift it is a monster and much better built and designed IMO than a 100 series and I have owned several.

I guessed you were referring to cost. I have had no experience with the 200 except watching one do the Kokopelli’s with me and he did great. I do have a 15 4Runner with all the traction and control stuff which I seldom use, except the Atrac and Elocker. So I consider all that fancy stuff that would be on the 200 not very important. My biggest issue would be size. The 80 is pretty small, the 100 grew, the 200 looks bigger yet but that’s just my guess.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I guessed you were referring to cost. I have had no experience with the 200 except watching one do the Kokopelli’s with me and he did great. I do have a 15 4Runner with all the traction and control stuff which I seldom use, except the Atrac and Elocker. So I consider all that fancy stuff that would be on the 200 not very important. My biggest issue would be size. The 80 is pretty small, the 100 grew, the 200 looks bigger yet but that’s just my guess.

Lower cost on a 100 series is a no brainer due to the age difference. The 200 is much better built in terms of being heavy duty, the bottom is flat, the suspension is superior, and the components are just bigger and better constructed. One part that stuck out to me and I look to adapt it to my 80 series is the driveline slip yokes they are 2-1/2"+ in dia something I have never seen even on trucks twice its size. I do agree they are larger but the ride quality and a 5.7lt 6spd puts in a different class than the 100series. IMO the 100 series will start to disappear as seen at EXPO this year very little stuff for the 100 series but tons for the 200 and growing.

The 100 is a very nice vehicle, I own one but I will look to trade up soon for all the reasons above.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The 80 is pretty small, the 100 grew, the 200 looks bigger yet but that’s just my guess.
It's interesting how all these trucks grow. Same thing happened with the 4Runner and Hilux/Pickup/Tacoma each generation. I guess we get used to whatever we're driving, though. At first the size of my 2008 coming from the 1991 was obvious but I don't notice much anymore. I probably wouldn't call the 80 "small" though.

cruiser_dimensions.png

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
It's interesting how all these trucks grow. Same thing happened with the 4Runner and Hilux/Pickup/Tacoma each generation. I guess we get used to whatever we're driving, though. At first the size of my 2008 coming from the 1991 was obvious but I don't notice much anymore. I probably wouldn't call the 80 "small" though.

View attachment 465803

Very interesting makes my 80 look fat at a little over 7000# but she rocks it well.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/6059/48085/

Just a bump to this, 17 miles of 402 is still closed due to the Bull Draw fire. You guys got in there about a week before it started I believe, it will look different now!

General fire information: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6059/

Bad smoke from that fire this afternoon. Nearly blocked the sun.
ef552d1665d2652655e6293d79f35fe4.jpg

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
The Divide Road was reopened just a few days ago. Officials asked travelers to be careful as there is still plenty of equipment in the area.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
That update does not say it’s closed. Our group was just up there yesterday, September 30. The winds were very strong and lots of smoke could be seen from the fire suggesting it may have intensified. We did not drive the section of Divide Road that had been closed because our trip leader had run it on Tuesday and said it was so badly washboarded from all the heavy fire trucks that speed was limited to 5 mph and they are running 40” tires aired down. So practically it’s “almost closed”.

The NWS has issued a watch for heavy rain today though Wednesday so finally the fire should be snuffed out.

Ace

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Indeed. I read it wrong. Must be using 402 as a break, then?
  • A road closure from the junction of NFSR 408 (Dominguez Road) and NFSR 402 (Divide Road) (approximately 21.5 miles south of the junction of HWY 141/NFSR 402), south to the junction of NFSR 600 (Windy Point Junction) and NFSR 402 (Divide Road). The closure is approximately 17 miles.
  • An area closure bordered on the north by the Blue Creek Drainage, on the west and southwest by National Forest boundary, on the northeast by NFSR 402 (Divide Road) and on the south approximately 1 mile southeast of the Campbell Creek drainage between the National Forest boundary and NFSR 402 (Divide Road).

99Discovery

Adventurer
I must not be receiving notifications for this thread, I missed all the good conversation.

As the OP, I didn't mind the 100 vs. 200 series talk, in fact while I was away from the thread I picked up a nice LX470 for myself and it promptly spit out the brake master cylinder. So the total cost of ownership of my Toyota (with temp tags) is cheaper than both of my Land Rovers combined. Go figure. New/used car ownership is a pain, and I'm not blaming the rig...it's going to be fun to build up. The thing I prefer best about the 200 series is coil up front vs. stiff torsion bars, but my LX470 will be fun to play with until 200 series prices drop to my-type of reality.

Now back on topic:

So there was a fire? How bad? Are the ponderosas gone? That would really stink. :(. I'm glad I hit the trail when I did.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
We are having lots of rain. On/off since last Monday. The Bull Draw fire was close to control before the rain hit so probably just about out now. We have around 8” of snow on Grand Mesa, so probably good cover on the Uncompahgre too. I don’t know about big tree loss but I don’t think it got close enough to the Divide Road to have visible damage. Nothing official, just my thoughts here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior