Ditching my RTT; Need ideas on Camp Set-ups - Post Pics!

Patrollife

Explorer
Thanks. I was surprised at how comfortable it is. I did not build a platform with drawers so as not to sacrifice headroom. Most gear is in watertight metal boxes and stored outside when sleeping.

The rear doors remain closed. This FJ60 has sliding rear windows in the cargo bay. I simply cut a piece of nylon window screen slightly larger than the window. The screen is placed on the outside and held in place on the bodywork with 1 inch wide flexible magnetic strips. The slider can be opened and closed from the inside. I've given a little thought to something nicer but this arrangement works and stows easily.

Thanks for the additional clarification. I like the idea of sleeping in the back of my rig. Unlike you, I do have a drawer system in the rear but I still have reasonable headroom. The challenge I have is that my rig is shorter than your FJ60. Well, not to sound snooty or snobby, but I have two fourbys that I use for my expos. Depending on the type of expo will determine which one I take out. The shorter of the two is a SWB Patrol GQ; this is the one with the rear drawer system. The other is an FJC, which surprisingly has considerable space for creating a sleeping platform in the rear. I tried sleeping in the back of my Patrol on a recent expo and I got eaten alive by the mosquitoes. I also didn't fit in the back and would need to fabricate an extended, pull-out platform from the top of my drawer system to give me extra leg room. I used to have the sliding windows like your FJ60 but replaced them with gull wings, which I love, and which is why I asked about the mosquito netting. If I went this route, I would need to figure something out where I can have the gull wings and rear door open and protect myself from mosquitoes. But your reply is helping me generate ideas and that is the whole purpose of this thread, so again, many thanks for contributing!

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Mosquitoes are bad enough. There is not enough room for a bear and the two of us in the FJ60 so other than the rear sliders, I keep it closed up. Most of our travels are higher elevation so heat has not been a problem.

Here is a closer look at my primitive window screens. The white objects are sections of flexible magnetic strips holding the nylon window screen in place:

IMG_1638_RS.jpg

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
We have a MSR Elixir 3. It's a 3 person backpacking tent so its set up is very quick. However, with two adults and some gear it gets cozy. On our last trip we had a bad turn of weather and ended up spending 6+ hours a day in the tent, the rest of the time huddled under a tarp by the fire. Not exactly comfortable.

The Oz Tents look awesome. Which size would you folks recommend for 2 adults and possibly a child? Biggest concern is comfort and space if holed up for a few days of bad weather. We'd like to have room for bedding/cots and a small table and chairs if the weather turns lousy for a few days. The awning adds a nice bit of room I suppose, especially if it can be tarped in as a weather block.

dman93

Adventurer
^^^ If the GFC and Vagabond guys offered a tent extension like what you've circled up there, it would be awesome for us shortbed guys. Sleep one or two upstairs, one or two downstairs.

Triplesnake

Adventurer
Another vote for an REI tent. My wife and I are using a half dome 4. It is nice to have the space to spread out and store gear inside. We also like the vestibule and entry door on each side. It doesn't take up too much space to set it up and we can have the whole thing pitched in about 5 minutes. I think it is a good compromise between being big and sturdy enough to be comfortable, with out being too big and heavy when packed down.

rfsjeWW.jpg

Another vote for an REI tent. My wife and I are using a half dome 4. It is nice to have the space to spread out and store gear inside. We also like the vestibule and entry door on each side. It doesn't take up too much space to set it up and we can have the whole thing pitched in about 5 minutes. I think it is a good compromise between being big and sturdy enough to be comfortable, with out being too big and heavy when packed down.

rfsjeWW.jpg

love our camp dome 4, best tent ive owned.

MOAK

Adventurer
Several years ago we gave our REI 6 man tent to our kids. After being in it for 3 straight days and nights because of constant hard rain, ( remember RMNP getting wiped out in 2013? , we were there ) we realized, for us anyway that it was way too small for a basecamp tent. The Jettent 25x by Oztent ended up being our final choice and I have no regrets. Yes, it is heavy, yes it rides up on the roof rack, and yes, we carry a smaller lightweight tent for overnighters. However, as a basecamp tent this it is outstanding. We can have it deployed, awning up and staked out in about 25 minutes. It packs up in even less time. There is plenty of room for two cots, small table and small chairs. If need be, we could live it it for days on end without feeling cramped. We did look at the 30 second Oztent but it is way too long and we would have sacrificed space up top needed for our solar panel.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 113

Heavyopp

Observer
I bought a snugpak "The cave" about a year ago -- Unfortunately I don't have ny pictures but here's a link to a video -- It's not me but shows the snugpak pretty well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htVRExKhIXM

I can say it's really well made -- sure you could fit 4 in there but real comfortable for 2 adults on a queen sized air mattress and all your gear

I'm pretty sure I bought it from Primary arms for under $300 -- not sure if they sell it anymore...

OhioWrangler

The tent cot is a fine product, however, you can't do anything in them other than sleep. I'm 6'2", 250#, the large is a tight fit. If space allows go for the double wide. It also produces a lot of condensate due to body heat. Again, its a great product. I've gone to using the cot inside a full size tent. Ron

Wallygator

Adventurer
We have a MSR Elixir 3. It's a 3 person backpacking tent so its set up is very quick. However, with two adults and some gear it gets cozy. On our last trip we had a bad turn of weather and ended up spending 6+ hours a day in the tent, the rest of the time huddled under a tarp by the fire. Not exactly comfortable.

The Oz Tents look awesome. Which size would you folks recommend for 2 adults and possibly a child? Biggest concern is comfort and space if holed up for a few days of bad weather. We'd like to have room for bedding/cots and a small table and chairs if the weather turns lousy for a few days. The awning adds a nice bit of room I suppose, especially if it can be tarped in as a weather block.
You salesmen are good.(y)

Wallygator

Adventurer
Thanks all for responding. I will respond individually to the recommendations posted when I’m on my laptop (responding from my cell right now). You took the time to post so it’s only good etiquete for me to reply.

Real quick, I emailed these guys from Australia: Crashpad. I follow them on IG and they have some great gear. The double swag is what caught my eye.

https://crashpadgear.com/

In other news, I sold my RTT today and so the pressure is on to find a replacement set up. Pic of new owner below.

a10d0941cadd095844b7cafde0933da5.jpg
6f71a8b30c9a2a2dc2323334e07ec78f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
get a hard shell as cheap as you can find one.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I have a 10x14 Kodiak canvas you can have for $450. I used it twice. It's a great tent but after I got it things fell through. Now I need to reassess and that tent is out since I'm basically solo now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles